Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Launch Party in London was a disappointment

OS X Launch Party in London was a disappointment
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2001, 06:52 AM

It wasn't really that great. Just a bunch of geeks crammed into the upstairs area of Micro Anvika... It was WAY too crowded. I'm sure it was a fire hazard... The security guys looked really edgy.

Anyways... The only non-Apple demo I saw was Bryce (or something like it... I couldn't be bothered to get too close). And there were a few iMacs running iTunes with SoundSticks and iSubs.

The guy doing the demo (Stuart or whatever his name was) made a few slips in his presentation. I'm surprised that people like him are still talking about the "Cocoa" version of MSIE and things. Also, they were running the demo on a PBG4Ti, so things were a bit jerky (Bomb.app caused the QuickTime movie to jump a bit, even though Stuart said something to the effect of "And the QuickTime movie doesn't even jump").

A friend of mine managed to hog one of the iMacs afterwards, but I had to go soon after that.

The only live music was from iTunes.

* �Alias|Wavefront
* �Connectix
* �Filemaker
* �Corel and
* �Meeting Maker

Were all meant to be demoing their apps. Oh wait, I'm sure FileMaker was, and Alias|Wavefront was playing a looping quicktime movie. Corel was in a corner too, I didn't look too closely (too difficult to move around). Meeting Maker and VirtualPC's only appearances were 2 screenshots in the badly-assembled slides that accompanied Stuart's demonstration, which ran over time so there was no countdown to midnight.

The only good thing would have been that if I had bought OS X then and there, I would've got a free Pro Mouse. But since I'd already pre-ordered it from the Apple Store before I knew about the event, I didn't.

Oh well...

madra
Mar 24, 2001, 09:58 AM

it'll be interesting to read the review of the event on micro anvikas website where no doubt it will be hailed as a roaring success and carefully edited pictures of the crammed masses will give the impression that the whole of the shop was filled with a crowd second only to that at live aid.

surely there a better things to do on a friday nite in london than hang out in halitosis hall with the acne and sci-fi T-shirts crowd?

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules