Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > CCC to the Rescue

CCC to the Rescue
Billy
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 10:16 AM

In an attempt to squeeze the last out of my aging Core Duo iMac, I decided to "quit" unnecessary processes using Activity Monitor. I thought that if I tried to quit important processes, OSX wouldn't let me do it. I thought that I had done this a few times before. Well, no such luck. After a few hours, things started to go south and eventually I had numerous errors. I tried using Disk Utility to repair the disk but no luck. The disk was being accessed continuously and I feared it would die.

Thank goodness for Carbon Copy Cloner. Finally, I did a backup of the messed up disk and it came through with flying colours. Even though a couple of files were not backed up, I did recover the majority. I only had a problem with my bookmarks file in Safari. My mail was rebuilt and everything was there. Thank Goodness.

Bill

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 12:46 PM

Yes, thank goodness indeed for CCC, and Mike Bombich.

Do you happen to know what you quit that caused the problem? Whenever I've done that I've found process' that warned me I would be logged out if I quit them, but never had an OS fail as a result.

Billy  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 03:34 PM

It might have been mdimport, but I am uncertain that I can actually quit that process.

Now, that I think back, there was a process that had the user "nobody". I thought that if "nobody" was the user, there would be no harm in deleting it.

After the backup and restart, my computer has fewer of these processes and it seems to be snappier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules