Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Keep the Combo or exchange it for a Superdrive?

Keep the Combo or exchange it for a Superdrive?
Thread Tools
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 04:32 AM
 
Got my 12" Powerbook and love it, but I ****ed up and didn't realize the bundle I ordered was for a Combo drive model, not the Superdrive I had intended (after months of obsessing, what a ridiculous oversight )

The place I ordered from is willing to do an exchange for the cost-difference of the upgrade ($200) plus shipping; they're waiving the 15% restocking fee, a fee that were it not being waived would've made it cost-prohibitive for me to do the exchange and I'd've settled for the Combo.

Shall I go through the return hassle and cost for the Superdrive (whose DVD burning feature I will probably use, though not extensively, but admittedly just kind of want), or opt to keep the flawless, dead-pixel-free 12" I have now and wait a few months for the new iMac (which will have a Superdrive) I plan to purchase?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
     
CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 51st State of America
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 04:44 AM
 
I WANTED to burn DVD's... so i got a DVD burner. How about you?

By the way, if you are likely to spend 200 on an exchange why not save your money up and buy an external DVD writer? Its going to be faster than the internal you get anyway. I would of done that if i didn't want everything built into my powerbook.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee
     
mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 11:48 AM
 
yeah, the external one is faster & does DVD+R but you buy a 12" for portability and not for carrying around an external burner!

i've got the combo as well but if i could upgrade for $200 i'd do it right away...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)
     
///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my own little world
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 12:43 PM
 
For $200 to do the upgrade and getting what you wanted in the first place, I would do it. I agree with mousehouse on the portability.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...
     
sovereign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 01:35 PM
 
I am waiting on my 12" to arrive form Maczone. It sounds like you are dealing with Macconection as you mention that it was a "bundle"? Sounds like they? are offering you excellent customer service. With all the negative postings regarding resellers, why don't you tell everyone who some of the good guys are out there? Just a thought...
     
CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 51st State of America
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 02:36 PM
 
Are you really going to be burning DVD's on the go? DO you REALLY NEED to carry it with you?

If i were you i would buy it and leave it at home and burn cd's while out and about, its alot faster. With the one i have it can take nearly and hour without verification as it is.

You have you take battery life into account as well. Plus you'll have the extra drive to do disk copies or just use it while burning. I am burning now and its a slight annoyance to not be able to use the drive, i have to wait till its done burning. Do you want that?

Get the external, it'll last longer and handle more formats.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee
     
C-Bear  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 02:55 PM
 
Originally posted by sovereign:
I am waiting on my 12" to arrive form Maczone. It sounds like you are dealing with Macconection as you mention that it was a "bundle"? Sounds like they? are offering you excellent customer service. With all the negative postings regarding resellers, why don't you tell everyone who some of the good guys are out there? Just a thought...
I agree, it's important to share the good stories to help offset the number of bad ones, but since this outfit is offering me something that is directly against their stated policy, I thought I'd save them the hassle of "but this guy online said he got..."
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 4, 2003, 05:21 PM
 
get the external.

you won't burn dvd's on the go
you will like having two drives to do disk copies
external is faster and can be sold then upgraded
u won't risk getting a defective powerbook
when you get the iMac you will want that second external for disk copies
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,