Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > On 10.2.7; update to 10.2.8 or wait for Panther?

On 10.2.7; update to 10.2.8 or wait for Panther?
Thread Tools
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2003, 10:21 PM
 
Just got my Powerbook 12," which shipped with 10.2.7. I plan on upgrading to Panther a little further down the road when the first-launch bugs are ironed out.

In the meantime, is there a compelling reason to install 10.2.8, or for that matter, a compelling reason not to?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
     
Moonray
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2003, 10:29 PM
 
If you read the threads here a bit you will get a picture.

-
     
C-Bear  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 5, 2003, 10:34 PM
 
Originally posted by Moonray:
If you read the threads here a bit you will get a picture.
-
Yeah, I have been and opinions vary widely since the release of the faulty first 10.2.8 and through the "fixed" second 10.2.8. I was hoping that opinion might be a little more uniform now and that someone might enlighten me as to what that opinion is.

Thanks for all the fish…
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine
     
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: BFE
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2003, 09:06 AM
 
I don't think 10.2.8 offered much in "features" that 10.2.7 lacked.

Like always, stay with what you have if it does what you need it to do.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).
     
sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In a gadda da vida.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2003, 09:15 AM
 
Does anyone know if the Java updates are available again for Jaguar?
Rockstar Games - better than reality.
     
RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2003, 06:50 PM
 
Originally posted by C-Bear:
Just got my Powerbook 12," which shipped with 10.2.7. I plan on upgrading to Panther a little further down the road when the first-launch bugs are ironed out.

In the meantime, is there a compelling reason to install 10.2.8, or for that matter, a compelling reason not to?
If you are waiting for 10.3.1, I would install 10.2.8 update now for the time being.
     
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ~/
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2003, 08:12 PM
 
Originally posted by C-Bear:
Just got my Powerbook 12," which shipped with 10.2.7. I plan on upgrading to Panther a little further down the road when the first-launch bugs are ironed out.

In the meantime, is there a compelling reason to install 10.2.8, or for that matter, a compelling reason not to?
To be honest, I think that perhaps for the FireWire 800-external drive bug, there are really no show-stopping bugs in 10.3. Runs as slick as can be on my G5.

     
Moonray
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 6, 2003, 11:33 PM
 
Originally posted by C-Bear:
Yeah, I have been and opinions vary widely since the release of the faulty first 10.2.8 and through the "fixed" second 10.2.8. I was hoping that opinion might be a little more uniform now and that someone might enlighten me as to what that opinion is.

Thanks for all the fish…
As you see you get the same widely varying opinions here.
If you really have no preference stay with what you have.

-
     
Brass
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 7, 2003, 12:23 AM
 
Originally posted by Cadaver:
To be honest, I think that perhaps for the FireWire 800-external drive bug, there are really no show-stopping bugs in 10.3. Runs as slick as can be on my G5.
Although, the drive manufacturers are now shipping firmware updates to fix the problem, so it appears to be a bug in the drives, rather than Mac OS X. Having said that, the bug doesn't occur at all using 10.2, so it makes little difference where the bug lies, I guess.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,