Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook need to be plugged into Airport Extreme to work properly?

Powerbook need to be plugged into Airport Extreme to work properly?
photoflow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 01:28 AM

Hi all, I have what is probably a very basic question. I'm in the final stages of figuring out what I really want for a new laptop(Apple or PC......I'm a possible switcher!!) I've done a lot of research on this forum and its been extremely helpful. Now, what I'm thinking of doing is getting a 15" Powerbook and Airport Extreme, this way I have freedom to move my PB anywhere I want and still have internet. There won't be any computer physically hooked up the AE (I will hookup the laptop only for initial configuration).

So, to my question, I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the AE won't work properly if a computer isn't physically connected to the base. Is this correct? Or can I just hookup the PB to the AE for initial configuration and then disconnect it afterward? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 01:59 AM

You don't need to connect a computer to your base station ever.

You can do the initial configuration wirelessly. My Airport base station is plugged into a router which is plugged into a cable modem.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 03:41 AM

I love apple and all, but unless you have to have the matching base station, you don't necessarilly even have to buy the AE base station. Linksys makes a 54g Router that works great . At $100 dollars compared to what, 279 for an AE, you could spend that and get some more RAM for your PB
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
You don't need to connect a computer to your base station ever.

You can do the initial configuration wirelessly. My Airport base station is plugged into a router which is plugged into a cable modem.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

BlueCat
Nov 11, 2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by photoflow:
Hi all, I have what is probably a very basic question. I'm in the final stages of figuring out what I really want for a new laptop(Apple or PC......I'm a possible switcher!!) I've done a lot of research on this forum and its been extremely helpful. Now, what I'm thinking of doing is getting a 15" Powerbook and Airport Extreme, this way I have freedom to move my PB anywhere I want and still have internet. There won't be any computer physically hooked up the AE (I will hookup the laptop only for initial configuration).

So, to my question, I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the AE won't work properly if a computer isn't physically connected to the base. Is this correct? Or can I just hookup the PB to the AE for initial configuration and then disconnect it afterward? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
I'm with BkueKanoodle ... unless you really want an AE base station (maybe for it's looks or something), I would save the cash and get a non-Apple branded unit. I use a Netgear WGR614 (includes firewall) wireless router it works great with my PB.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 08:40 AM

I likewise agree (re use another brand) - only reason I have the Apple base station is for the built-in modem (I'm stuck on dialup). When I was using ISDN for a while, and when I move and begin using DSL, the modem will no longer be necessary and I might as well not have the Apple one.

Mind you they do look cool - friends often ask what it is

photoflow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 12:35 PM

thanks for the reply guys!! I don't intend on having my Airport Extreme connected to a router, just the cable modem to the Airport Extreme and then have my Powerbook connect wireless. One thing I like about the Airport Extreme is the fact that it has a built in print server, this way I don't even have to hookup my printer via cable!!
( Last edited by photoflow; Nov 11, 2003 at 06:40 PM. )

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by photoflow:
thanks for the reply guys!! I don't intend on having my Airport Extreme connected to a router, just the cable modem to the router and then have my Powerbook connect wireless. One thing I like about the Airport Extreme is the fact that it has a built in print server, this way I don't even have to hookup my printer via cable!!
Good point, but you can pick up a wireless print server for about a 100 bucks, so even with a wireless AP and a wireless print server, it only will cost you 200 and another bonus is that since the wireless print server is separate from the base station, you can put the printer anywhere, even in a different room.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 06:10 PM

all that has been said above about not using an airport but none the less I decided to get an airport with my 15 al pb and I am very happy with it. It may costs a good but more but at least it looks cool while being expensive. I would also agree that having to be physically connected to the internet or printer in order to use them totally transforms the experience.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

photoflow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
Good point, but you can pick up a wireless print server for about a 100 bucks, so even with a wireless AP and a wireless print server, it only will cost you 200 and another bonus is that since the wireless print server is separate from the base station, you can put the printer anywhere, even in a different room.
Yes, I suppose that I could buy a separate wireless print server. Do you or does anyone else have a recommendation for a separate wireless print server that works well with the Mac? Thanks!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules