Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrading: ibook or alu12

upgrading: ibook or alu12
reybart
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 11:12 PM

Hi, I want to ask your opinion. I have a 4-month Ti and want to buy a new one but confused between these two. In your opinion, which is better? Thanks

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by reybart:
Hi, I want to ask your opinion. I have a 4-month Ti and want to buy a new one but confused between these two. In your opinion, which is better? Thanks
Well I think that anyone would agree that the albook is better, it is just whether or not it is THAT much better to warrant the price. And that is a decision you and only you can make.

Personally I went for the albook because at the time the ibook was G3, I can't stand the iBook keyboard and I like how much smaller the powerbook is. But many other people would call me stupid because they might think those things are not worth the extra couple hundred dollars it cost me.

It's up to you man, no one can make up your mind for ya.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 12:29 AM

I think you get a lot more bang for your buck with the PB over the iB.
-nate

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 12:49 AM

I guess it would depend on what you want to do with it. If all you're doing is email, chat, web browsing, word processing, etc., then you'd probably be looking at the iBook. If you're using more professional programs (photoshop, music, video) then I would look at the Powerbooks.

If you want DVD burning capability, then the powerbooks are your only choice. Games on the go--probably the powerbooks (depending on the game).

I got a powerbook instead of the ibook (was tempted though); I would call myself a power user with lots of apps open, running development apps, video. I considered this and I figured a powerbook would be the way to go for me. So I would think about what you used your Ti book for and determine which portable would be best for you.

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 01:43 AM

If your current computer is only 4 months old, why do you need a new one? Personally, I wouldn't like downgrading in screen size. But that's just me.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 04:59 AM

Which model of TI do you have!

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 05:12 AM

I went through the same thing and got a PowerBook because of the ability to do monitor span and DVI. I had an iBook before, but without the ability to hook up to an external monitor at a higher resolution, it wasn't as useful as the PB.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 06:31 AM

alu12 with superdrive, otherwise you'll never get to use iDVD and that'd suck.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 10:15 AM

I'm having trouble seeing why you would want to unload your Ti, unless it were much older.

That said, go for the Powerbook, especially if that is what you are using now. I almost went from a Pismo to an iBook G4 and I know I would have regretted it. Everything about the powerbook is better, you have a machine that is more upgradable, has better build quality, expandability, more ports, and more features.

Hands down, it's worth the extra few hundred to get the Powerbook.

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 06:20 PM

Several good reasons to choose the Powerbook over the iBook (a choice I ultimately made, too, but not easily) have already been posted, so all I'll add is the "cool" factor: these Aluminum Powerbooks are just cool on every level; cool to use, cool to look at, cool to be seen with.

Granted, it's an x-factor that doesn't amount to much for some people, but it's a nice bonus, and though I truly believe that form should follow function, why not treat yourself to both if possible (which in the Powerbook it is)?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 06:29 PM

Oh, I forgot about the cool factor. I would have to agree with you on that, the Powerbook looks, simply and crudely put, damn good. I get comments for it all the time.

reybart  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 06:40 PM

Thanks Guys! I would know now what to do.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by C-Bear:
I truly believe that form should follow function, why not treat yourself to both if possible (which in the Powerbook it is)
WEll said C-Bear.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 10:50 AM

Thanks Guys! I would know now what to do.
What did you end up doing?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules