Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrade or clean install Panther

upgrade or clean install Panther
asoares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 07:43 PM

Hi,

I will receive my brand new PB 12'' during this week. It is likelly that the machine comes with Jaguar installed and only a few days later I will receive Panther disks.
As I need to put the machine productive as quickly as possible could you advise me on what to do regarding a clean installing or upgrade install the new OS.

I will use perhaps 40% macosx native apps and 60% XWindows native apps.

If I install X11 and X apps in jaguar, clean install will format the disk and I need to install everything again?

If yes is there any way to do linux like partitions?

If you could share some experiences on upgrade vs. clean install of 10.3 I would apreciate.

Thanks in advance.
[12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz 768MB/40GB/Combo/APX]
if you can look, see
if you can see, observe (jos� saramago)

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2003, 09:11 PM

If the Panther disks are arriving just a few days after the Powerbook itself, why not wait before doing any other installations and clean-install Panther fresh and start putting your system together from there?

I understand you want to get up and running as soon as possible, but you've waited this long, a couple more days (I assume) can't be too significant, can it?

If you install apps immediately, then yes, a clean-install of Panther will necessitate reinstalling everything. An upgrade-install will write Panther over Jaguar while leaving anything you've installed untouched (though many OS installation problems seem to come more from this approach than the alternatives). An archive-and-install will make a folder of the previous system while essentially clean-installing Panther, and you can move any files you want from the old system to the new. This might be your best bet for an easy transition if you really want to get going the day the PB arrives, I'm just partial to clean-installs because, well, you get that really fresh feeling from them ().

I don't know anything about partitioning, but I know it is an option through Disk Utility, so I would assume you can partition your HD for Linux, but hopefully a more wise Mac individual can expound on this issue for you.

P.S.
When you do move to Panther, I would make sure to download and install the 10.3.1 update from Apple before doing anything else to avoid some of the problems upgraders to 10.3 have reported.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 10:28 PM

i had no problems upgrading to Panther with my tibook, and it was on top of a six month old and very well used Jaguar install.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 12:23 AM

I installed panther as an upgrade on both of my machines and no problems at wll.

if you want to set up more partitions, well, then you are going to have to re-initialize your hard disk. As far as I know there is no way to repartition without losing your data.

beefstu01
Nov 24, 2003, 01:59 AM

If you're getting a new laptop and have nothing on it, blow everything away and install Panther. I did that with my PowerBook, and it rocks. Frees up some space too because you don't have classic on your machine (your new 12 will come with Jaguar and Classic, if you format and reinstall, you just get Panther).

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 02:01 PM

Almost forgot: if you install Panther you'll lose iDVD. If this is an app you want, it's no problem, just use the Jaguar restore CD -- there's an install option that allows you to choose to reinstall iDVD as a standalone.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

dagaz
Nov 24, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by asoares:
If yes is there any way to do linux like partitions?
Yes, when you partition the drive you have the option to format the drive or partition as UFS (Unix File System). I had a UFS partition running for a while but saw no great advantage to it and I'm now back to good old HFS+.
Not compatible with Windows

Forum Links
Forum Rules