Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.2 is out...check Software Update.

10.2.2 is out...check Software Update.
Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 05:54 PM

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 05:55 PM

That really is sad. We have no life eh?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Musti:
Rats...the Knowledge Base document referenced by SWU does not currently exist (at least for me... getting "Document 107140 Not Found" page from Apple).

Wanted detailed info on what this update does before installing it. And I'm waiting for some other brave souls to install it first :-)

CyberDave

spiggott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 06:03 PM

installing it now.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:04 PM

Yeah, I tried to read the kbase article too. Aw, what the heck, here goes noth-

-bzzrt!-
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 06:05 PM

I'll wait right here, while you lemmings charge the cliff.

Let us know how it goes, and if it's snappier�

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 06:05 PM

Yay, I'm installing it now too.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Yeah, I tried to read the kbase article too. Aw, what the heck, here goes noth-

-bzzrt!-

hehehehehe

Liudger
Nov 11, 2002, 06:09 PM

I can't get the update help!!!

I have OS X Server

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 06:10 PM

updated, running... ahh, just fine... 6F21
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 06:10 PM

Hmm, just keep checking it. It should come up eventually.

Liudger
Nov 11, 2002, 06:11 PM

I hope so.
You guys are so lucky

t_hah
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:14 PM

Well it is downloading, quite slowly.

t

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 06:15 PM

Wow! 24.4 MBS. How do people w/ dial up deal w/ these huge updates?

Big_Lou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 06:17 PM

To enable journaling:

in Terminal

sudo diskutil enableJournal /
It is of great fortune to people in power, that people don't think.

Musti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
That really is sad. We have no life eh?
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=131375

Seems so. Oh well.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Big_Lou:
To enable journaling:

in Terminal

journaling is there in the client x?

how is disk performance?
Dan

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 06:22 PM

Kbase article is now posted.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Musti:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=131375

Seems so. Oh well.
Whats even worse is that I got excited upon seeing 10.2.2 in the update panel!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:28 PM

Not really, we're just foolishly charging the cliff. I'm not usually the one to be the bleeding edge, but what da heck.

Optimizing for a hella long time on my Pismo..... I'll drop by after the restart if it's all good.

Wondering if he's installing the rumored journaling file system,
CJ.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:30 PM

After about 20 minutes of downloading (probably b/c of all the people on this forum ) it is installing, finally.

t

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:31 PM

Enhancements Delivered with this update

This update delivers many enhancements, including:

Digital Hub and Peripheral Device Enhancements
o Improves playback of large media files and peripheral device file copying.
o Resolves a rare situation in which an inadvertently-ejected CD cannot be remounted and applications accessing the disc cannot be quit.
o Addresses an issue in which an enhanced CD's data and audio sessions do not appear as expected on the desktop when using iTunes and inserting the disc more than once.
o Addresses a formatting issue that could occur when printing or previewing some TIFF documents.
o Addresses an issue in which ColorSync settings for some third-party displays are not retained after restarting or logging out.
o Addresses an issue when printing more than one copy of a file to a postscript printer from Adobe PhotoShop 7.0.
o Improves compatibility with HP 4MV printers when printing over an Ethernet network.
o Adds support for additional third-party disc burners, including: LaCie d2 48x24x48x, Sony CRX-820E, Toshiba SD-R2212 and SD-R1202, Pioneer DVR-105, and Yamaha CDW-F1 44x24x44x models.

Networking and Modem Enhancements
o SMB shared volumes may now be browsed by their user-assigned name.
o Resolves an issue in which an incorrect "Change Password Failed" message may appear when when changing a Mac OS X 10.2 Server client's password via AFP.
o Addresses an issue in which some internal Apple modems may fail to respond, displaying a "Could not open the communication device" message.
o Addresses an issue in which no sound is produced by some internal Apple modems until several seconds after making a connection.
o Resolves an issue in which some internal Apple modems fail to respond when connecting to the Internet.
o Error and warning dialogs boxes are no longer displayed if you cancel the mounting of an iDisk from the authentication dialog box.
o Addresses a startup issue that could occur if an LDAP server designated in Directory Access is not available.
o Addresses a data loss issue which could occur when copying a file whose filename ends with "#02," or other hexadecimal number, via AFP.
o Available disk space on an iDisk is updated more quickly after deleting files.
o Addresses an issue in which an iDisk would appear with an inaccurate 1GB capacity and 1023 MB available.
o Addresses some issues that could cause a "error -36" alert message when copying files to an iDisk.

Address Book and Mail Enhancements
o Resolves an issue in which Address Book could become unresponsive when using the Large Type menu and switching between applications.
o Address Book can now better import groups from prior versions of Address Book.
o Resolves a potential issue when transferring vcards from Address Book to a cellular phone via Bluetooth.
o Improves Address Book compatibility with users that are already on an AIM Buddy List.
o Allows address information to be imported when dragging vCards to Address Book which were created with Address Book from any version of Mac OS X 10.1.
o Corrects Address Book address format for Australian entries.
o Improves responsiveness when switching in and out of edit mode in the Address Book.
o Address Book entries without a name included now appear in the All group list with the email address as the name, instead of "<No Name>".
o Addresses the rare issue in which Mail may unexpectedly quit when replying to a message.
o Improves the responsiveness of the Mail application's date column and thread highlighting feature.
o Improves the reliability of transitioning a Mac OS X 10.1.5 Address Book.addressbook to an Address Book for Mac OS X 10.2 format.

Application Enhancements
o Improves compatibility for Microsoft PowerPoint presentations that use animations.
o Addresses a potential Disk Copy volume imaging permissions issue that could affect non-Admin users.
o Improves updating of applications installed with Mac OS X, updating them only if they have not been relocated or deleted.
o Addresses a display issue that may occur when Command-clicking a URL in some third-party applications, including BBEdit and Mailsmith.
o Addresses a situation in which the menu bar and Dock are not shown, after quitting a third-party game application, until the desktop is clicked.
o Addresses an issue in which some PDF files created within Mac OS X do not open as expected with Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.
o Reduces occurrences of "missing text" when browsing some web pages.
o Improves compatibility for FAXstf when a fax is being sent while the computer is restarted, shut down, or entering sleep mode.

Other Enhancements
o Provides a foundation for the journalling filesystem (JFS), which may currently be enabled via Disk Utility on Mac OS X Server systems.
o Improves security when using a read-write disk image volume in which "Ignore ownership on this volume" has been deselected.
o Addresses an issue in which automatic Software Update notifications are turned off when upgrading from Mac OS X 10.1 to Mac OS X 10.2.
o Addresses an issue in which, after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2, an unexpected value in a user's com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file could prevent proper startup.
o Addresses a potential kernel panic situation when using three video cards and more than 512 MB of RAM.
o Addresses a potential issue in which an unauthorized user could log in as a deleted user.
o Improves the Find function of the Finder by no longer finding items in invisible folders.
o Reduces the time required for switching between Sherlock channels when using a low-bandwidth connection
o Sherlock channels may now be saved as a file.
o Allows automatic login to work as expected following an Archive and Install.
o Improves time needed to wake some portable computers.
o Addresses a potential loss of video when waking some PowerBooks from sleep after using DVD Player.
o Addresses a potential issue in which the computer does not respond when quitting DVD Player on some portable computers.
o Includes Apache version 1.3.27.
o Addresses a potential security issue in which access to system daemons could be blocked when RFC-based services are enabled.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2002, 06:34 PM

I broke the cardinal rule to not update the OS before a major deadline... and all went well.

However, it does NOT correct the wonky Finder icon view mode.

I still have unnecessary empty spaces in the icon list despite having both snap-to-grid and arrange-by-kind checked.

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 06:40 PM

I've noticed some of these updates, but nothing too spectacular.
I guess I shouldn't expect much though.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:47 PM

Well, it still runs. And Help Viewer still takes an amazingly long time to start running.

Can't say I see an amazing amount of new Snappyness�.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 06:48 PM

TiBook 667 w/756MB

I've been running 10.2.2 (Build 6F21) now about 15 minutes... here's what I've noticed...

Snappier�? Not really. This is probably just a placebo type thing, but for some reason the Mozilla text entry seems to be a bit faster when typing this. That can't have anything to do with the system upgrade, can it?

Mail-- (version 1.2.2 (v549/548)) Dont' notice any new features in the preferences. Could be my imagination but listings of long (>1000) messages seem to come up about a second faster. That's all I noticed.

iChat-- (version 1.0.1 v51.4) Dont' use it. Assume the many bugs were fixed (?)

Address Book-- (version 3.0.2 (v216)) don't use it. Didn't notice anything special.

Sherlock-- (version 3.5.1 (v3.5.1/1.0.1) Didn't notice anything new.

Journaling-- not gonna turn it on. Someone said that to do so, type the following in the terminal. (Unverified)

Hmm. Maybe this is kind of a crappy first review, but I guess what I'm really reporting is that the upgrade seems to have worked and though the system feels the same to me, at least it didn't hurt anything.

24.4 MB and it's basically the same. Then again, as I said, it's been about 15 minutes so I'm sure there are benefits that are as yet unknown... As of right now the Knowlege Base article describing the changes isn't up yet.

(ok, I waited 10 more minutes before posting this. I swear, text entry in Mozilla is faster! Am I going out of my mind or is there something new that might account for this?)

W

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:51 PM

o Reduces occurrences of "missing text" when browsing some web pages
Now that's really interesting. So is this issue with missing text or graphics on the browsers like IE the developer's fault, or Apple's all along?
F = ma

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by robby818:
Wow! 24.4 MBS. How do people w/ dial up deal w/ these huge updates?

thats whats i said WOW 24.4mbs....and i have dail up...i just hope i dont get disconnected while it downloads or i have to start all over

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:53 PM

It doesn't fix the mount-FTP-in-Finder bugs, does it?

-

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 06:54 PM

Ya, that's the journaling enable command. I'm living dangerously today:

[MOOF:~] thg% sudo diskutil enableJournal /
Password:
Allocated 8192K for journal file.
Journaling has been enabled on /
[MOOF:~] thg%

So I guess I gotta pull the power during a massive disk write, to test this, right?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by nredman:

thats whats i said WOW 24.4mbs....and i have dail up...i just hope i dont get disconnected while it downloads or i have to start all over
Software Update can't resume interrupted downloads? That's craptacular.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by nredman:

If you're going to wait for this download then I hope this update offers some noticable fixes for you. 24.4 megs is just not a practical download for most people. I remember seeing a statistic on how many households have broadband and it is very very small. But most users don't really care about updates, regardless of whehter they have broadband or not.

lsochrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 07:13 PM

The Knowledge Base article for 10.2.2 said that to install, you cannot have a blank Admin. Password, and must change it to something else. I didn't, and the installation seemed to work perfectly. Anybody know if that's going to cause me trouble, or if they were just wrong?

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 07:14 PM

OK here are my 10.2.2 experiences...

Snappier�? Haven't really noticed, so I don't really think so

Mail-- (version 1.2.2 (v549/548)) I haven't noticed anything different, but I don't use it profusely enough to judge the system performance.

iChat-- (version 1.0.1 v51.4) I haven't noticed ANYTHING different, and that little "bug" in the custom away messages is still there (where the + button says Add A Buddy).

Address Book-- (version 3.0.2 (v216)) Opens alittle faster, runs alittle smoother I guess.

Sherlock-- (version 3.5.1 (v3.5.1/1.0.1) Starts faster and channels load quicker.

Journaling-- I turned it on, and I haven't noticed any changes, whether or not I should, I don't know.

Finder-- seems that browsing through my harddrive is alittle quicker.

System Specs are in my sig...

kupan787
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Ya, that's the journaling enable command. I'm living dangerously today:

[MOOF:~] thg% sudo diskutil enableJournal /
Password:
[MOOF:~] thg%

So I guess I gotta pull the power during a massive disk write, to test this, right?
Ok I tried it also but got:

[rl-sac38092:~] kupan787% sudo diskutil enableJournal /
Password:
Failed to make volume / journaled (Not a directory)
[rl-sac38092:~] kupan787%

So is it on or not?

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 07:48 PM

You should not be seeing an error during diskutil enableJournal; however, you can check to see if it's really on by opening Disk Utility, selecting the volume, and looking at the Format: item on the Information tab.

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 07:50 PM

For those enabling journaling: be advised that no disk utilities currently support repairing a journaled HFS+ volume, including Disk Utility and fsck. In theory, you shouldn't need any disk utilities with journaling; however, it's new and you may encounter issues. If you do need to repair a journaled volume for some reason, use fsck_hfs -f [device id].

CIA
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 07:56 PM

Seems to work fine here... Where is a good resource for info on Journaling? What exactly does it do?

ksujeff99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 07:59 PM

Here are my first impressions:

Mail seems to switch between folders a lot faster than before.

iChat now brings up a new instant message instead of a new chat when selecting the buddy in the drop down menu item. Finally!!

Sherlock appears to draw the maps and directions faster when switching between the results.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Liudger:
I can't get the update help!!!

I have OS X Server
dude got to apple.com and to the software update section then search for 10.2.2 youl get em

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:12 PM

Is anybody else having issues with software update? It says 'The installation has encountered a problem. None of the checked updates were successfully installed.'

Villa

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by milhous:

Now that's really interesting. So is this issue with missing text or graphics on the browsers like IE the developer's fault, or Apple's all along?
The "missing text" problem has certainly been reduced in Chimera 0.6. The Register and Railhead Design both almost always generated missing text in almost every browser on my machine. Those rendering problems seem to be gone with the 10.2.2 update, at least so far.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Raining Down in Texas:

The "missing text" problem has certainly been reduced in Chimera 0.6. The Register and Railhead Design both almost always generated missing text in almost every browser on my machine. Those rendering problems seem to be gone with the 10.2.2 update, at least so far.
Agreed, I was always getting missing text in RailHead as well, but all is better now.

Great update!

BTP
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:38 PM

Liudger-

Here is a link for 10.2.2 server:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7609

See you in January.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 08:59 PM

is there any problems with updating applications in this update (like 10.2.1? Mail.. ImageCapture)

I'll put everything in root of /Applications just in case

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2002, 09:08 PM

o Addresses an issue in which an iDisk would appear with an inaccurate 1GB capacity and 1023 MB available.
Finnaly! That was so annoying.

-Owl

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 09:21 PM

downloading...
downloading...
Hope this fixes my mail. I have a cable provider for access and email and I've had to use MS Entourage to get mail. OS X Mail won't do it.
I'll let ya know. That's the only reason I'm trying it.
Although, the missing graphics and text in IE is awfully annoying so am glad that is fixed.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 09:23 PM

Is anyone else noticing problems with third-party themes and 10.2.2? Most noticeably the Open/Save dialog boxes in carbon apps.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 09:26 PM

is the bucket load of issues with ichat fixed? trying it out now, lets hope it works right.

milhous
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 10:03 PM

As crazy as it sounds, Aqua seems to be much more responsive with 10.2.2 for reasons I don't know. Either that, or it's because I haven't used my Pismo 500 in the past couple of days.
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules