Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best domain name service?

Best domain name service?
kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 12:06 AM

I'd like to register myname.org so that I can have [email protected] as an email address. Any advice on how to go about this?

kman

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 12:29 AM

You will need a domain, DNS service and a mail server. I've just started with this company, but I like what I see so far. ICDSoft will provide you with DNS service, a .com/.net/.org domain and a mail server (it comes with web hosting) for a total of $65 US/year. Domains ending in .biz and .info are available for an extra $10 US/year. If you already have a domain, they will provide everything else for $60 US/year.

As great as this is, ICDSoft's customer support is more impressive. My first question to customer service was answered in 8 minutes.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 12:53 AM

Stay the hell away from Hosting.com and their DNS service, wsmdomains.

I don't want to bore you with my story, but I had no end of trouble with those people, and it took me three months just to get my service moved elsewhere once I'd given up due to a six-month long customer service debaucle.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 01:23 AM

http://www.freestylehosting.com has some awesome deals on hosting, and they are really responsive.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 08:59 AM

I strongly recommend http://www.DomainInvestigator.com

They have a web interface to all your DNS / Mail And Web Forwarding stuff - plus v. cheap.

Also you can use their own mail servers (which include a webmail interface and IMAP)

Although the webmail isn't as nice as .mac

Check it out:

http://www.DomainInvestigator.com

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 11:25 AM

i use dot.tk

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 11:26 AM

I've been using DNScentral.com for the last 4 years. Cheap, effective, and with great email and web forwarding management.

As I move countries regularly, and travel quite a lot, having the ability to log in from anywhere and update my settings has proved really helpful.

All you then need is local access by dsl or dialup.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Terri
Senior User
Feb 2, 2003, 11:35 AM

I own well over 100 domains and use DirectNic for all my DNS needs.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2003, 12:12 PM

kman--

do you want to server this ip yourself? get a static ip. i seem to remember you are from san francisco. i think extremedsl.com offers static ip plus dsl for $39/month

ive had good experience with register.com

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2003, 03:59 PM

I use ChangeIP.com because I just wanted to register the domain and do the DNS and mail stuff myself. They do have DNS and mail handling though, afaik. The support is excellent; I called at 8 PM on a Saturday and did not have to wait or go through any annoying phone tree. I also didn't have to talk down to the person there, as he knew exactly what he was doing. Because they're a small group that resells for a large company (BulkRegister), they have the benefit of a stable foundation while still being able to be flexible and offer personal support.

If you don't have a server or don't want to deal with that stuff, make sure you use a registrar that also offers email management and web hosting services (quite a few do). ChangeIP will not host the actual website, I think. ICDSoft's website is at least nice, and they look pretty cheap for what they offer.

I have also heard very good things about PHPWebHosting. Very cheap, they will handle your domain, will give you a bunch of MySQL dbs to use, and will let you use PHP and whatnot.

Look for whichever is the cheapest and still fulfills your needs, but don't buy without some testimonials.

Also, don't assume that just because you don't need PHP support now, you will not need it later. It's good to have room to grow.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

sfhipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
I'd like to register myname.org so that I can have [email protected] as an email address. Any advice on how to go about this?

kman
go register.com

good stuff there. great dns management after you're all setup.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 02:14 AM

I'm a big fan of mydns.com or mydomain.com. It supports free forwarding via IP, regular forwarding, stealth forwarding, etc. Additionally, you get free email forwarding as well. I love it.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2003, 02:34 AM

Register.com ($35/year) is unbelievably expensive compared to other respectable places out there. I use Dotster.com ($15/year) for my domain name needs, and ZoneEdit.com (free) for my DNS server needs. I have my own server to do mail and web hosting.

This is off topic so it's going to the Lounge.

tintub
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 04:30 AM

godaddy.com is very cheap and has always been fine for me!

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Feb 3, 2003, 08:39 AM

Dotster seems to be the cheapest. They are very easy to use as well.
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2003, 09:02 AM

namezero.com

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2003, 11:17 AM

The only ones I would ever use are register.com and netsol.com.

All those others have been suspected of fraud, various reports of it. etc, etc, etc.... IMHO, I would rather pay for a piece of mind.

Notice no large business uses any of those small registrars. They are netorious for domain hijackings to take place.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
The only ones I would ever use are register.com and netsol.com.

All those others have been suspected of fraud, various reports of it. etc, etc, etc.... IMHO, I would rather pay for a piece of mind.

Notice no large business uses any of those small registrars. They are netorious for domain hijackings to take place.
ALL others?

Namezero.com's been fine with me. I'm sure we can dig up dirt on register.com. I'm not even registered with them and they send me snail-mail spam about "your domain's about to expire". I'm not even registered with them!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2003, 12:03 PM

I've been happy with pairNIC. I'd actually stay away from Network Solutions, since they've been known to allow hijackers to get domains just by sending them a fax on letterhead. See Verisign Sucks for some examples.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 02:13 PM

Was the real question on where you can get a domain (registration) or more on what services are available.

Realistically, you can get a domain name anywhere and transfer it to another company, so I wouldn't worry much about that.

If you want control of your domain, see the site I listed above.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules