Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Latest Camino Nightlies

Latest Camino Nightlies
cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2003, 03:34 PM

Is it just me or have this weekends (through today) nightly builds been extremely unstable? I have 2 machines running the latest builds and cannot go more than about 10-20 minutes without a crash.

I realize they are now merging with the mozilla trunk, so hopefully the reliability issues will be resolved.

Still a great browser though...

Anyone else?

Macanoid
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 03:58 PM

It does crash all the time unfortunately. Which is a shame, since it's my favourite browser (although Safari .64 is a close second!!)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2003, 04:03 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=149768

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=150133

I could keep going...

The "bug" has been fixed...anytime you left a page that had a plug-in involved with it, Camino would crash.

It will be a few weeks before these nightlies are "prime time" candidate.

benb
Mar 11, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by cteselle:
Is it just me or have this weekends (through today) nightly builds been extremely unstable? I have 2 machines running the latest builds and cannot go more than about 10-20 minutes without a crash.

I realize they are now merging with the mozilla trunk, so hopefully the reliability issues will be resolved.

Still a great browser though...

Anyone else?
They just merged with the 1.3 trunk, so expect them to be unstable for the next few weeks. It would help if all of us submitted detailed Talkback reports of the crashes though. When it becomes stable again, it will rock. The nighlies are extremely fast.

ambush
Banned
Mar 11, 2003, 05:01 PM

I actually like the nightlies' non-aqua buttons/tex fields/pop up buttons...

hmmm.

Very nice splash "� la photoshop 7", btw.

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 06:22 PM

Yeah this Camino nightly is like Mac OS X Public Beta. A big change for the future, but not quite ready for prime time. Once its ironed out, Camino will be one sweet browser.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
I actually like the nightlies' non-aqua buttons/tex fields/pop up buttons...

hmmm.

Very nice splash "� la photoshop 7", btw.
You won't have it much longer....

The "latest" CVS Check-In reads:

"Implement Aqua form controls when building with the Cocoa toolkit (bug 188254). r=pinkerton, sr=sfraser. "

daftpig
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by benb:
They just merged with the 1.3 trunk, so expect them to be unstable for the next few weeks. It would help if all of us submitted detailed Talkback reports of the crashes though. When it becomes stable again, it will rock. The nighlies are extremely fast.
Hmm ok that's good... it crashes when I try to load www.shift.jp.org

sighz

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2003, 04:58 PM

The aqua buttons are back in with the 3/12/03 nightly...

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 06:02 PM

A problem I've had with every version of Chimera/Camino I've tried is that very long pulldown menus (such as the forum list on this page) pop up with the cursor offset by one or more spots from the current selection. Surely other people see this too. Is this a feature or a bug?

macarita
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2003, 06:49 PM

I got my first taste with Chimera the last version a few weeks ago & I love it...I'm thinking I should wait a month or something to download Camino once most of the bugs are out...also is there a quick way to move your bookmarks & settings into the new browser?

ambush
Banned
Mar 12, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
The aqua buttons are back in with the 3/12/03 nightly...

They're messed up though

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
They're messed up though
yeah this was a problem in one of the earier chimera releases. I think it was either 0.4 or 0.5. They know how to fix it and I'm sure it will be fixed soon. but other than that it feels rock solid again and considerably quicker!

Thanks to the Camino team for making the best browser for X!

passmaster16
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by macarita:
I got my first taste with Chimera the last version a few weeks ago & I love it...I'm thinking I should wait a month or something to download Camino once most of the bugs are out...also is there a quick way to move your bookmarks & settings into the new browser?
As long as you don't delete the preferences file, you shouldn't have to move anything. When I update Camino, I normally don't have to move anything because all the settings are still there, stored in the pref file.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 08:48 AM

The latest nightly does feel much quicker. Good to see things still moving... Hopefully the Download Manager will get a good revamp once the migration to Mozilla 1.3 is done.

I stumbled across a feature which turned out to be in 0.7 (and probably much earlier) - click your scrollwheel on a link to open in a new tab. Cool.

Chris

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 10:35 AM

Yes, the nightly builds are getting much better. Camino feels a lot faster than Safari now. Competition is great. The big thing in the end will be compatability with Win IE6.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

stevenhaddon
Mar 13, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
The latest nightly does feel much quicker. Good to see things still moving... Hopefully the Download Manager will get a good revamp once the migration to Mozilla 1.3 is done.

I stumbled across a feature which turned out to be in 0.7 (and probably much earlier) - click your scrollwheel on a link to open in a new tab. Cool.

Chris
This has been around for a while - a little thing that I consider almost a killer feature, combined with "open tabs in background". Take a list of search results. Scrollwheel click all the ones of interest. Now you can discard the search page and peruse the resulting tabbed pages at your leisure.

Mmm, convenience.

Steve

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by daftpig:
Hmm ok that's good... it crashes when I try to load www.shift.jp.org

sighz
This seems to work with the latest nightly (3/13/03)... the previous nightlies crashed a bunch... this one seems much more stable.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules