Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What has happened with VersionTracker.com ?

What has happened with VersionTracker.com ?
kovacs
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 04:55 AM

Does anyone like the new site design ? The main page is still the same, but they have updated the product pages, product info and feedback ( the famous stars ) are now split in to two different pages....

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 04:59 AM

anyone like the old dessign?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 07:00 AM

The old design was was obnoxious. The new one is just terrible. Splitting product description and reviews into two pages is just a blatant attempt to generate more page views for their adds, plus they have made the page smaller to cram more garbage in, such as macfixit links and adds. Tuck.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 08:26 AM

Macupdate
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 08:31 AM

They've managed to make it slower as well....awesome work VT, awesome.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 09:40 AM

Not liking the design.

The content is good though... but the design is went from bad to worse.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 09:53 AM

nice one VT - make your page so wide it won't even render properly on a Pismo

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 09:57 AM

I've heard about Macupdate. I think its time to check it out.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 10:18 AM

And what the hell is up with those huge-as$ banners??

n~s
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 10:30 AM

Not ready for prime time...I've been getting a lot of database error pages when I try to find more information about some apps.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 10:34 AM

I'll just repost what I said in an earlier thread on this subject:

I used to love VT.

Then they added Pro, and forced you to click twice to download the software. But I put up with it.

I've had it now. With each rev they add useless features that do nothing but clog the site with links and ads and referals that people *don't care about*. It seems they are doing everything to distract the user from what they came for- to track software. Ironic innit?

Now they've redone the UI yet again, and breaks half the time in Safari. Nice testing for a Mac site! Plus the rating system is now beyond complex for what it was intended for. Advice to VT: Stop trying to overload with features to deal with feedback trolls, and more time making a lean, fast site.

I'm using MacUpdate fulltime now.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 03:55 PM

I like MacUpdate's design (and freeness) better, but it just doesn't seem as comprehensive as VT. I don't think they have a Palm OS page either.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
nice one VT - make your page so wide it won't even render properly on a Pismo
The font is way too small for my eyes! They page not good!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 04:03 PM

I like MacUpdate way more than Vt.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 04:10 PM

As you know we are in the process of upgrading our database and user review system._ Despite the database, site and browser compatibility testing we unfortunately ran into issues that could only have been uncovered after launching._ As of 24 hours from launch, the site is stable again._

However, there are a lot of steps remaining to get all the features of VersionTracker working correctly including:

- Safari rendering bugs._ These are being addressed._ Some of the bugs you see (specifically the product description text overlapping the summary information box) is a known bug with Safari and we are trying different workarounds, others (like the width of the page) are on our end and we are in the process of fixing them.

- All past reviews, download counts and product ratings are saved._ The "old" reviews and ratings are in the process of being re-imported and will be back on the site shortly.

The most noticeable "visual" change is the modification to the product page- where you download a product, read the developer's description of the update, post user reviews and more._ The addition of the "Feedback" tab on the product page has gotten mixed reviews and rightfully so because it has not worked as intended._ Some of you gave it great reviews due to the concept and just as many of you want it to go away as soon as possible.

Our hope is that you will give us a chance to showcase the final product... before making a final judgment about the change._ We will be announcing more information publicly later today, including a way for you to further comment on the changes, but wanted to let you know in advance since you took the time to email us.

Our goal is to improve VersionTracker in order to address concerns about the review system that many readers had--- without changing the VersionTracker you rely on just for the sake of "change"._

Thanks for your ongoing support!

boardsurfer
May 1, 2003, 04:16 PM

That is the last time I ever visit VT. I was attempting to read the reviews of Mellel (OS X Word Processor) and right in the middle of them is a small banner for freaking Office v.X. Not to mention that it takes like a hundred clicks to get any information in the first place. It does seem like they just want more clicks to feed the advertisers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 04:18 PM

I think we need a new Safari update to remedy the VT problems...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 04:26 PM

I pay $25 a year to get rid of all ads (banners and text ads). Pretty nice. Plus I get top downloads and editors picks, etc. back.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I pay $25 a year to get rid of all ads (banners and text ads). Pretty nice. Plus I get top downloads and editors picks, etc. back.
Me too..

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 05:51 PM

I pay nothing to use MacUpdate and it doesn't screw with the browsers or require you to click 3 or 4 times to find something.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
I pay nothing to use MacUpdate and it doesn't screw with the browsers or require you to click 3 or 4 times to find something.
Versiontracker screw with the browsers or require me to click 3 or 4 times to find something?

Care to provide some examples?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
How does VersionTracker screw with my browser? Also... there is a little field at the top right corner labeled "Search", ironically.

Plus, I hate the layout of MacUpdate, does not have enough viewers, and I have to look at Mac OS 9 software when browsing.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 06:14 PM

I never thought I would say it but it is worse then MacNN.com

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 06:15 PM

...and I have to look at Mac OS 9 software when browsing.
http://www.macupdate.com/index.php?os=macosx

Bookmark a link like that and you don't...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
http://www.macupdate.com/index.php?os=macosx

Bookmark a link like that and you don't...

Now we just need an improved layout, a way to get rid of all ads (text and graphic) and get 1 million page views per month.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 06:29 PM

Well, when I heard about some of the changes, specifically having reviews only apply to the version that was reviewed, having a separate forum for bug reports other than the reviews, etc. I thought this would be a good thing, as it would reduce the number of crap reviews. But when I actually saw the site... my God...

It looks bad in Safari, but it looks *way* worse in Camino...

http://www.charlessoft.com/extraneous_stuff/uglyVT1.jpg

http://www.charlessoft.com/extraneous_stuff/uglyVT2.jpg

edit: made the images links instead of in-line, in order to make them less annoying.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 1, 2003 at 06:41 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 06:45 PM

Now we just need an improved layout, a way to get rid of all ads (text and graphic) and get 1 million page views per month.
Improved layout? It's very simple, easy to read...works fine for me. Searches are so much faster it's sick as well.

Rid of all ads? Sure, agree...but they need money. And with MUMenu, I don't see the ads anyway!

1 million page views per month? Umm, if I owned the site or advertising I would care...but since I don't....I don't care about hits because as stated a million times before...the reviews are a joke.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Improved layout? It's very simple, easy to read...works fine for me. Searches are so much faster it's sick as well.

Rid of all ads? Sure, agree...but they need money. And with MUMenu, I don't see the ads anyway!

1 million page views per month? Umm, if I owned the site or advertising I would care...but since I don't....I don't care about hits because as stated a million times before...the reviews are a joke.
I would pay to get rid of all ads, as I do with VersionTracker. I care about page views and the amount of traffic it receives since I would like it to be sort of a "free" marketing tool for my software.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2003, 08:09 PM

I would pay to get rid of all ads, as I do with VersionTracker. I care about page views and the amount of traffic it receives since I would like it to be sort of a "free" marketing tool for my software.
I agree, I can see the page view thing being a bigger deal from the developer point of view....

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
As you know we are in the process of upgrading our database and user review system...<snip snip>
That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the core issue I have with VT, in that it has become an ugly, slow bloatmonster, and reeks of being nothing but an ad-portal now.

I don't give a fig about "editors picks", "top downloads" and other fluff that costs extra just to get rid of banners. I just want to see software and download. VT does its best to make that difficult.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Versiontracker screw with the browsers or require me to click 3 or 4 times to find something?

Care to provide some examples?
Downloading where it takes you to 2-3 different pages before finally downloading.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Downloading where it takes you to 2-3 different pages before finally downloading.

Uh yeah. That's why we pay for it. We don't have to do that

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 07:05 AM

VersionTracker is completely dead today. Can't even load the home page..

Vanquish
May 2, 2003, 07:20 AM

That's just sad. Time to change that bookmark into MacUpdate.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Uh yeah. That's why we pay for it. We don't have to do that
So basically you're paying for what VT used to do for free, and MU does now.

It's your money, I guess...

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the core issue I have with VT, in that it has become an ugly, slow bloatmonster, and reeks of being nothing but an ad-portal now.
This will get rid of most of the ads on VersionTracker:
sudo sh -c 'echo "127.0.0.1 spinbox.versiontracker.com" >> /etc/hosts'
sudo kill -1 `cat /var/run/lookupd.pid`

(We're redirecting requests for spinbox.versiontracker.com to the local machine, then restarting the lookup daemon responsible for resolving DNS requests, thereby flushing its cache and getting it to read /etc/hosts.)

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 11:43 AM

After looking through MacUpdate and registering for free, I am very impressed by all they have to offer. They even have a nice, free, personalized tracker that watches for software updates you are interested in, and a free MenuItem that updates to show you what has been updated today.

I know that we've been friends for a long time, Versiontracker, but today is the day I say goodbye.

Crunch Something

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
This will get rid of most of the ads on VersionTracker:
sudo sh -c 'echo "127.0.0.1 spinbox.versiontracker.com" >> /etc/hosts'
sudo kill -1 `cat /var/run/lookupd.pid`

(We're redirecting requests for spinbox.versiontracker.com to the local machine, then restarting the lookup daemon responsible for resolving DNS requests, thereby flushing its cache and getting it to read /etc/hosts.)
If you're using Safari, you could also use PithHelmet, which should take care of most ads that you ever encounter. Plus, it gets rid of ads based on perl regular expressions! Now that's hot.

Crunch Something

kovacs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
If you're using Safari, you could also use PithHelmet, which should take care of most ads that you ever encounter. Plus, it gets rid of ads based on perl regular expressions! Now that's hot.
Wow thanks, great app !

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 12:55 AM

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 07:27 AM

VT is going downhill i think used to like it alot now they screwd things up way slower ... now i am using macupdate! VT please fix up your act!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2003, 08:26 AM

Yes it is. And I was furious at first. But the new features conviced me that it was worth it. And since it in fact is worth it I decided to pay.

I also paid $50 for .mac, but I might not pony up $100 if it doesn't gain any significant to keep me there.

I also paid for Enigmo, a truly excellent game.

Oh, did I mention I'm getting a new PB 17" and a 15 GB iPod too? I guess I did

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Oh, did I mention I'm getting a new PB 17" and a 15 GB iPod too? I guess I did [/B]
I'm jobless and stark raving jealous!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 09:11 PM

For some reason the site is down at the moment for downloads! Keep getting an error message!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
I've been using it since it was publicly released. It gets better and better. And of course, v6 was released today:
http://hiredgoons.com/osd/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules