Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What the heck does "a problem parsing the jpeg data" mean?

What the heck does "a problem parsing the jpeg data" mean?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2003, 08:33 PM

I recently emailed myself a photo from my daughter's iPhoto library to my computer. Her camera is a Sony digital camera (don't know if that makes a difference or not). When I try to open the photo on my computer using "preview" nothing happens. When I try to open the same photo with adobe photoshop 7 I get an error message saying that adobe "can't open the photo because of a problem parsing the jpeg data."

However, I am able to import and view the same photo into my own iPhoto application. However, once again, even if I export the photo from my iPhoto program on my computer, I still get the "parsing" message.

This is new to me. I've used iPhoto since it's conception and never had this error message.

Any ideas?

thank,

lw

miro7
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 12:07 AM

This message generally means that the file has been corrupted in some manner. If you are able to open it on that one machine then it is possible that the corruption is hardly noticeable in a visual sense. However, you might try resaving the image as another format besides a jpeg--perhaps a tiff file, and see if that helps.
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

B.I.L
Jun 9, 2003, 03:27 AM

As a last resort you could take a screenshot of iPhoto displaying the image.

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules