Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Myth II: Soulblighter v1.4

Myth II: Soulblighter v1.4
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 08:37 PM

Project Magma and MythDev are proud to present you with Myth II v1.4:

After bringing you Myth II v1.3.2, Project Magma (www.ProjectMagma.net), in association with MythDev (mythdev.com), is proud to announce Myth v1.4.

Created by die-hard members of the Myth community, Myth II 1.4 fixes not only outstanding problems with the game engine but also adds functionality that will allow for continued community growth; this is truly a project for all Myth players.

We have added well over 100 enhancements, features, and bug fixes to the Myth II with version 1.4. Expect everything from OpenGL rendering and gameplay improvements to new mapmaking abilities, as well as elimination of plugin and chat lag, and much, much more. Myth II 1.4 will also include the changes present in Myth II v1.3.2, namely support for OS X, and enhancements for Windows 2000/XP.

Project Magma is also releasing additional content alongside Myth II 1.4, including a Myth:TFL Mappack (all of the multiplayer maps from the original game, plus many classic 3rd party maps) and TFL interface, as well as several other, original creations by some of the top mapmakers in the Myth community. Check out www.ProjectMagma.net for more details.

In an ongoing effort to support and enliven the Myth community, we are interested in further development of the Myth II engine, including support for Linux. If you are interested in assisting with the port to Linux, head to www.ProjectMagma.net and let us know.
-Owl

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 4, 2003, 09:15 PM

Good to see old games getting resurrected and supported.

Ryan Gordon, the dude behind the UT2k3 port, is bringing UT to Mac as most of you know and also...get this...Duke Nukem 3D!!!

I'm a big fan of classic games. I pretty much hate most of the latest games. There just doesn't seem to be any interesting games anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I often find myself playing NES and SNES games on the OS X emulators, or Lucas Arts adventure games and Sierra games on the interpreters.

Myth and Myth 2, as we all know, was a very new genre of game...still no game of that genre has been made. Myth is a classic, IMO. Duke Nukem 3D definitely is a classic. It pushed the limits of sexual content in games, but also raised the bar on 3D game quality...also was one of the last software render 3D game.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2003, 10:10 PM

I want Myth II

... ... <hint hint - nudge nudge>

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 09:59 AM

They did an amazing job making it run on X... lots of work went into this.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2003, 08:53 PM

Dude ... this is one of my all-time favorite games. I can't believe they've done so much to improve it.... Man, I could seriously shed a tear. Myth 3, pffft. Nothing will surpass the beauty of Myth 2. OK, I'm gonna install this puppy and check out the OpenGL. And then I'll report back ... after I clean up the mess in my pants.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2003, 09:00 PM

OMG mythII was like crack for me when it came out in '98. Awsome game, and nice to see it is still alive and well

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2003, 09:15 PM

Well, I tried it ou. It's awesome, though the OpenGL implementation is quite slow compared to RAVE in OS 9. Whereas I got 120 FPS to keep things smooth at all times in OS 9, OGL is maxing out at about 40-60, with drops here and there. I'm sure it'll get faster with time. I'm very pleased with it. Totally rocks. New plugins system, too, and more than three resolutions! Whoo.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2003, 10:06 PM

Yeah, you need to try those resoulutions on an ACD.

Drrroooolll.

-Owl

zos
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 01:45 AM

Definitely try this out if you ever liked the game. The word of an update got me to download it and try it again, for the first time since 1998. They really brought this game up to date. Check www.playmyth.com for all you need to get up on a new "battlenet."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2003, 09:45 AM

I got it again.

la la la l� l� l� l� l� l�

miro7
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 10:35 AM

Just picked it up again as well. Seems that 1.4 balances the game out pretty well.

You no longer have to wait for your melee unit to engage the enemy--you can select them and click on the enemy without fear of being completely destroyed!
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 11:50 AM

heh, www.mariusnet.com is also a great (my fav) myth server.

-Owl

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 05:56 PM

OK, So I lost a summer during high school to Myth II, now its out for OS X and I have my own bad azz computer, and now I can lose another summer of much needed work to it! The humanity! Damn you game developers, damn you all! (But my inner demons say thanks)

I can all ready hear it now, in glorious suround sound.

"Casulity"
"Make way for the dwarf"
"My fault"
"They're everywhere!"- Random Marathon quote in Myth II

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
OK, So I lost a summer during high school to Myth II, now its out for OS X and I have my own bad azz computer, and now I can lose another summer of much needed work to it! The humanity! Damn you game developers, damn you all! (But my inner demons say thanks)

I can all ready hear it now, in glorious suround sound.

"Casulity"
"Make way for the dwarf"
"My fault"
"They're everywhere!"- Random Marathon quote in Myth II
agghh flashback to 1999!

Except you're missing an extra "casualty" after "make way for the dwarf" and "my fault"; maybe lots of "casualty"s actually

damn, that's going on my computer as soon as exams are over!

-- james

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
agghh flashback to 1999!

Except you're missing an extra "casualty" after "make way for the dwarf" and "my fault"; maybe lots of "casualty"s actually

damn, that's going on my computer as soon as exams are over!

-- james
I always cringe when I move my dwarf to some forgotten location to allow my swordsmen to move in, then the dwarf decides to participate, and I see the bottle and hear "Casualties..."! Arrrgh!

Seriously though, does this new version seem odd to anybody? E.G., The mouse now functions differently. It used to be possible to rotate the display by going to the corners, now using the A and D keys are the only way.

Also, the Unit selection causes me to constantly move my units to the wrong place by mistake. I select a group, click where I want them to go, move to the entire other side of the map, try to select those units, and instead of selecting new units it moves my previously selectd units, then I have to franticly reissue my last real command to prevent my units making a disatrous mistake.

The unit AI seems worse, too. For example, I was playing Into The Breach and I could not get my units up to the ledge on the castle to kill the archers - they kept trying to walk through the mote (this happened whether I targetted the archers directly or the ground around them). Also, in that same scenario, my pathfinder dwarf was on the top level, and two guards tried to chase him, and got "stuck" trying to walk into the wall at ground level - even when I attacked them from behind, at least one of them never budged (until he was dead).

Anyway, this new version is fun, but the older version in OS 9 was more playable.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:

Seriously though, does this new version seem odd to anybody? E.G., The mouse now functions differently. It used to be possible to rotate the display by going to the corners, now using the A and D keys are the only way.
This is something you can set in preferaneces. Dunno about the rest tho..

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 08:29 AM

have they totally re-written it, or is it just a port to the new OS's?

-- james

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 06:40 PM

Its a port

They were given the sourcecode by Take 2 (Take 2 Owns (maybe Owned now...) the rights to myth after bungie sold it to them around the time they joined up with M$.

-Owl

jcarr
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 06:15 PM

There is also a Mac OS X version of Myth: TFL (v1.4 I think), although it does not appear to support OpenGL.

Still an inrecdible effort by the folks at PlayMyth.net. Many many thanks!

I spent an afternoon going through old stuff looking for my Myth CDs.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2003, 02:23 AM

I'm totally new to the world of Myth, so I don't own any of the games. What's the best way to obtain the games and make them OS X savvy?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I'm totally new to the world of Myth, so I don't own any of the games. What's the best way to obtain the games and make them OS X savvy?
I would say you would have to order them online, I ran across Myth 1 in a small store for $10 about a year ago, and that was VERY odd.
(since it came out in like 1995)

Edit: here

Myth: The Fallen Lords (Myth 1)
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...2266&meta_id=5

Myth 2: Soulbligher
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...9e025754b07ed0

Myth 3: The Wolf Age
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...9e025754b07ed0

I recommend Half.com, I have used it many times.

-Owl

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2003, 12:47 AM

Thank you for the reply owlboy -- you're a real mensch .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

redJag
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 01:38 AM

make sure you order the mac version! or are all 3 hybrids? i looked a bit and couldn't find out, i'm tired and lazy right now.
Travis Sanderson

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
make sure you order the mac version! or are all 3 hybrids? i looked a bit and couldn't find out, i'm tired and lazy right now.
Oh, your right! Myth 1 and 2 should be hybrids (All the copies I bought were) but 3 will not be. I forgot about that.

-Owl

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 11:07 AM

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 11:29 AM

Myth 3, the Myth game no one loved. It really really sucked. When i first played the initial release there were so many bugs. That and the fact that it lacked the love and coolness that made the other Myth games fun. I miss you bungie......

Love,
The Milkman.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Myth 3, the Myth game no one loved. It really really sucked. When i first played the initial release there were so many bugs. That and the fact that it lacked the love and coolness that made the other Myth games fun. I miss you bungie......

Love,
The Milkman.
I agree.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules