Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Which compression format is best?

Which compression format is best?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2003, 01:28 AM

Which compression format that comes with Stuffit Deluxe is the best. Best meaning it compresses the most, regardless of how long it takes. I ran my own little quick test with a single file and GZip was the best, followed by Sit and Zip, though i forget the order, than Unix Compress was really bad compared to them. I always liked GZip anyway, and I usually tar and gzip my files as opposed to stuffing them anyway. But now it seems gzipping really is the best way to compress a file.

Of coarse the killer of Stuffit right now is the fact that the finder contextual menus let you stuff files easy, but totally lock up the finder system 7 style until its done.

ambush
Banned
Aug 14, 2003, 01:37 AM

BZip2 has the best compression ratio of all times.

They chose BZip2 to distribute games like UT2k3 demo and America's Army.

Usually, it has a ratio of 1/3 meaning a 300k file -> 100k. Some DMGs use BZip2.

entrox
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 04:03 AM

Yeah, bzip2 is usually a good choice. Stuffit (Expander) handles it fine and it compresses just nice. You can also extract archives directly with GNU tar (sadly not with the BSD one) by saying 'j' instead of 'z' ("tar xzvf foo.tar.gz" -> "tar xjvf foo.tar.bz2"). The entire bzip2 tool-chain is included with OS X, ranging from "bzip2" to "bzless".

miro7
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 04:44 PM

Doesn't Stuffit 7 have a new compression fomrat called sitx? How does that compare to bz2?
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules