Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why does .Mac mail have no bloody spam filters?!

Why does .Mac mail have no bloody spam filters?!
Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 03:23 AM

Just about every other online mail service have some sort of user customizable spam filter yet .Mac has none. I know the rumor that Apple does filter some really obvious spam without asking but it doesn't do a very good job.

My yahoo account catches 99% of all spam yet my .Mac account is flooded with spam that I can't even use it.

Common Apple!

"If it's broke, you choke."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2004, 03:47 AM

I think the idea is that you're supposed to use Mail's configurable spam filter....

Incidentally, on the subject of Mail's spam filter, does anybody else have trouble training it to catch certain spam e-mails? I'm always getting spam with subjects along the lines of "Re: XDFPEWR free DVDs", and the random string at the beginning completely trips Mail up. It's been months and I still haven't trained it to catch these, even though I can recognize them instantly.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Vader�s Pinch of Death  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
I think the idea is that you're supposed to use Mail's configurable spam filter....
Ya but what if you want to filter it before it gets to your inbox or like me only use the online interface.

trash80
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 04:57 AM

i hardly ever get any spam to my .mac account, ok i did once... last july i think, i assumed their online filters did the biz. i'm very careful about not publishing the address anywhere though so maybe thats it.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 09:50 AM

perhaps a future version of iSync should sync your junk filter settings from mail.app to .mac's online mail. that would be pretty sweet.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
...or like me only use the online interface.
Yikes!

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2004, 10:25 AM

Just about every other online mail service have some sort of user customizable spam filter yet .Mac has none. I know the rumor that Apple does filter some really obvious spam without asking but it doesn't do a very good job.

My yahoo account catches 99% of all spam yet my .Mac account is flooded with spam that I can't even use it.

Common Apple!
Stop signing up for all those pr0n sites
jesse ;-)

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2004, 03:22 PM

Ya but what if you want to filter it before it gets to your inbox or like me only use the online interface.
I agree. Also, what about just filters for pre-filing your mail? In other words, I want mail from a particular Subject: to go to a particular folder.

Yes, one could do this in Mail; however, the whole point of an IMAP server is for it to do the work and the client to simply display the data. I use other computers than just Mail.app on my TiBook.
Meh

-Q-
Feb 5, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by trash80:
i hardly ever get any spam to my .mac account, ok i did once... last july i think, i assumed their online filters did the biz. i'm very careful about not publishing the address anywhere though so maybe thats it.
I get spammed there all the time. Whatever they have, if they have anything at all, doesn't work very well.

But apparently $99 a year doesn't get you a good mail account...

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2004, 06:16 PM

I'm never spammed on my .mac account nor my university account.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I'm never spammed on my .mac account nor my university account.
Well this isn't really a poll on who gets spammed and who doesn't. It is more a question as to why there are no filters. E-mail gets spam, and Apple does nothing to help.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 06:33 PM

BTW, if you do get spam in your .Mac account, forward it to [email protected]. Apple will adjust their filters. I only get maybe 2-3 spams a month and never get the same spam twice.
Vandelay Industries

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
BTW, if you do get spam in your .Mac account, forward it to [email protected]. Apple will adjust their filters. I only get maybe 2-3 spams a month and never get the same spam twice.
Ditto. I rarely get spam mail on my .mac account. Compared to my Yahoo account which gets hundreds of spam mail. Granted most of it ends up in my 'bulk' folder but about 5-10% gets into my inbox, which ends up being a lot of spam.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 10:37 PM

Common Apple!
For me, it's the exact opposite.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
That doesn't mean anything other then your yahoo account has been gotten ahold of by spammers and .Mac hasn't. Mac has no spam filters.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 12:41 AM

That doesn't mean anything other then your yahoo account has been gotten ahold of by spammers and .Mac hasn't. Mac has no spam filters.
Wrong.

.Mac mail does have filters. This thread on the .Mac support forums states that they do. Hence, my previous post about forwarding spam to [email protected]. Also, do a search for .Mac and spam at MacInTouch.com and you'll see lots of stories of Apple being overzealous with their filters.
Vandelay Industries

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Wrong.

.Mac mail does have filters. This thread on the .Mac support forums states that they do. Hence, my previous post about forwarding spam to [email protected]. Also, do a search for .Mac and spam at MacInTouch.com and you'll see lots of stories of Apple being overzealous with their filters.
Wrong.

Like I said in the original post Apple does have some invisible filters but no user customizable ones. You can't block or filter certain people nor can you do anything about ones that are getting filtered by mistake.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2004, 12:49 AM

Wrong.

Like I said in the original post Apple does have some invisible filters but no user customizable ones. You can't block or filter certain people nor can you do anything about ones that are getting filtered by mistake.
Ok, true it doesn't have customizable filters via webmail. But your previous post above simply said .mac has no filters, which is what I was objecting to.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 12:49 AM

Wrong.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/tm.html

curmi
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 08:54 AM

Definitely does have invisible filters that work extremely well for me.

Previously my email address was redirected to an account without any filters. I was getting around 50+ spam message a day.

I then redirected to .Mac. I get around 1 or 2 a day.

That is pretty damn good if you ask me.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
This is my experience as well. Maybe the different services just have weaknesses in different areas, and SWG gets a different variety of spam than Nebrie or me. Yahoo misses tons of my spam, though it catches tons too, but I've never gotten a single unsoliced spam in my .Mac inbox. I think they filter.

Also, I really like the iSync Mail filters is a great idea.

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 02:31 AM

All I can say is I get 15-20 spams a day on my .Mac. Yes I can forward them to [email protected] but nothing sucks more then opening 20 emails one at a time and forwarding it. Stupid method of doing things.

Salsa
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 12:51 PM

I also get around twenty spam messeges per day per .mac account. I have four of them, so it gets old. My yahoo account gets lots of spam too, but I just have the free yahoo account. The paid accounts get a better spam filter.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 07:58 PM

All I can say is I get 15-20 spams a day on my .Mac. Yes I can forward them to [email protected] but nothing sucks more then opening 20 emails one at a time and forwarding it. Stupid method of doing things.
Someone on Apple's discussion boards created an Applescript to make this easier. You just select all the messages in your junk folder and hit Control-Shift-S. The script will forward all the emails to [email protected] and delete them from the Junk folder. It works great!
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2004, 10:31 PM

Gah! They don't want you to forward the entire spam to them! If you'll read the KB article, they only want the headers.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Salsa:
My yahoo account gets lots of spam too, but I just have the free yahoo account. The paid accounts get a better spam filter.
That's what I thought. You get more blockable mail addresses, but that's it. Since I moved to a POP Yahoo account, my spam has tripled. It seems that most of the spam is also not-blockable due to the spelling - crap like "pooooorrrn girrrrlllls for you" that vary on a day-to-day basis.

And if you send a 'report' to [email protected], you'll get twice as much spam as a result. Totally useless. I f'n hate Yahoo now.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Gah! They don't want you to forward the entire spam to them! If you'll read the KB article, they only want the headers.
The AppleScript I linked to earlier indeed only sends the headers. I didn't think to specify that when I was typing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules