Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I upgrade my firmware?

Should I upgrade my firmware?
ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 12:31 PM

I'm on a 466 mghz G4 "Digital Audio" with a Radeon 8500 and 1G RAM.

When Apple released their occasional firmware updates, the "Who should use this" section always refers to some bug that I never had, and so I never upgraded.

Now I'm considering buying a faster CPU, and the instructions for that say I should upgrade my firmware first.

I'm reluctant because with many crashes after installing Panther, I'm finally stable again.

The latest firmware update on Apple's site still claims I don't need it, and I'm actually considering not buying a CPU just so that I don't have to upgrade. Probably foolish, but I'm that relieved to have a stable system once again.

My Boot ROM Version: 4.18f5

Your thoughts?
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 12:41 PM

Yes.

Your system wont boot with a new processor and your current firmware.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
Yes.

Your system wont boot with a new processor and your current firmware.
Ditto. It's required for the new processor.

Just do it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 11:11 AM

So have you upgraded with a new processor? Am wondering how it went, as I'm mulling the same thing.

ImpishLM  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
So have you upgraded with a new processor? Am wondering how it went, as I'm mulling the same thing.
Nope... and I haven't updated my firmware either.

I really should, but two things make me reluctant: I installed a CPU upgrade on my previous computer -- a G3 -- and it promptly fried my Mac. I mean totally fried it, making it unusable and unfixable, so I bought my G4 then.

Secondly, as I mentioned above, I just recently got Panther to stop crashing on me regularly, and I need to have a stable system to catch up on work time lost.

When I catch up, I start thinking about it again.

Lemme know how your upgrade goes.... which one are you getting?
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 12:35 PM

I have a G4400 and am thinking of an OWC 700 or 800 upgrade. I know I can go lots higher, but I really don't want to spend tons. This machine was 3 years old in November, and I truly do wonder how much more time I can reasonably get out of it. I think the processor kick will see me through another year comfortably. (Plus, I do have a year-old 12-in PB, if I want to play with things that need more oomph.

I do have a memory module to add, so will do that any day now. I've never done a processor upgrade and am a little leery of playing with my computer's innards. And you've had trouble, so that's not so good either! On the other hand, others have made it seem like not that big of a deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules