Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread.

The OmniWeb 5 Public Beta thread. (Page 19)
bewebste
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 06:16 PM

It's out! It's out! It's out!
Go get it! Go get it! Go get it!
Crash the servers! Crash the servers! Crash the servers!

sghms
Aug 11, 2004, 06:26 PM

Omniweb 5 is now out
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 06:43 PM

Congrats to the OG. I haven't had any problems with RC2, hopefully 5.0 is just as good. Just bought my license.

-matt

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
It's out! It's out! It's out!
Go get it! Go get it! Go get it!
Crash the servers! Crash the servers! Crash the servers!
Seems to be the case. Getting timeout errors at the OmniGroup store.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 07:13 PM

OMG! I haven't used OW since ver 3 or 4. I just d/l the sw version fifteen minutes ago OW 5 and OMFG this baby is pretty!!!11

Sniffer gone old-school sig

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 07:38 PM

Purchased my upgrade key just now.

Congrats OmniGuys... you guys did a great job.

NOW can we start talking about 5.1/5.2? Pleeese?

BZ

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 08:09 PM

After 902 posts, over 35 thousands views that spanned over 6 months I think its' time to lock this OmniThread.

Congrats guys, now get back to work!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:33 PM

Upgraded my V.4 number. V.5 seems to be great. A few rendering and display glitches, but a good program nonetheless.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
After 902 posts, over 35 thousands views that spanned over 6 months I think its' time to lock this OmniThread.

Congrats guys, now get back to work!
But no one's started an OmniWeb 5.1 beta thread! Can we go without?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 02:32 AM

I have a small question for the omni guys: Do you plan to localize OmniWeb 5 in different langauges? If yes, when can we expect localizations to be released?
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 07:35 AM

This was posted by Ken in response to a question on the OmniWeb mailing list:

We want to localize OmniWeb 5 as soon as possible, and would love to have at least as many translations of OmniWeb 5 as we had in OmniWeb 4 (which was available in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, and both Simplified and Traditional Chinese).

Of course, that process is something we can't do alone (since we don't speak all those languages!). We'll be asking our previous translators if they'd be interested in helping us again with OmniWeb 5; but if you are interested (or know anyone who might be interested) in helping us translate OmniWeb 5 to your native language, please contact us!

Thanks,
Ken

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 07:52 AM

Cool. If they get OW translated into my native, I'll more than seriously consider to buy a copy.

I am very impressed with the 30 days SW edition so far.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 08:09 AM

Just tried OmniWeb 5 for the first time, and although I'm impressed by the complexity of the program (its certainly not for everyone), I think Opera will give it a good run for its money. To me at least it seems to be a bloated Safari, while Opera has its own tried and tested rendering-engine that is more compatible. But I cant see myself paying for a browser anyways, at least not after Safari came along..

velporama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 11:47 AM

I have a few folders that I like to load with the 'Open in new tabs' option. My question is: How many tabs is too many? I have compared loading 10 tabs between OW 5 final and the latest Safari, and the OW 5 final seems to be noticeably (read: bothers me) slower. Is this a function of the different rendering engines?

Other than that I am completely enjoying the addition of this application to my other Omni Group purchases.

Keep up the fantastic work. A stellar example of how to compete with free.

Cheers,

Velporama

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 12:11 PM

Truepop
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 01:04 PM

I would like a better Ad blocking experience. like the contextual menu that pithelmet has. I know that there is the image > filter image menu but it should be labeled different in my opinion. maybe also have the option to prompt to edit the URL when the filter image menu is click.

Also is there a way to make OmniWeb completely hide an ad image?

I don't really like having a blank indented box. i know that some sites build layouts around ad spaces but I have been watching this for a good while (since I asked about this last time in this topic) and pithelmet and adblock for firefox completely knocks out the ad and I haven't seen a site that's layout was distorted because the ads were completely hidden.

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 01:23 PM

There is another more important reason for leaving a placeholder - it allows you to choose to view the blocked image/content if you do need or want to. This is doubly important if you choose to block all .swf (Flash) content by default so that you aren't annoyed by Flash ads - the placeholder then lets you view flash content that you do need to see simply by clicking it. Personally I think it is much more important to know that something is being blocked than to not know.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
I would like a better Ad blocking experience. like the contextual menu that pithelmet has. I know that there is the image > filter image menu but it should be labeled different in my opinion. maybe also have the option to prompt to edit the URL when the filter image menu is click.
Yes totally agree - it shouldn't be difficult to add a contextual menu to just guess the approximate regex should it? (or course to get the exactly righ expressions - meaning not too general and not too specific - is still a research problem).

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 03:00 PM

hmmm ok only thing with omniweb... im clicking the bookmarks button, and then its doing nothing, well it says "beginning fetch"... and seems like its trying to load a web page...
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 05:19 PM

I would love for the "type-ahead" feature to behave as it does in FireFox, Camino, Mozilla, and Safari (with Saft). That is, in those browsers you don't need to know the first word or letters of a link to type-ahead and find it, you just need to know part of the link.

As a fan of "type-ahead" as it plays out in those browsers, it can be quite frustrating to know there's a link somewhere in a page that you can't type-ahead to find simply because of OW's need to find links based on the first letters or words.

Other than that, I am impressed with the speed of my OW5 demo and its large feature set.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 03:08 AM

There's actually a variable you can set to enable the find as you type. It's not supported and I'm not sure if it's publicly announced... so... well... yeah.

Have fun!
~BS

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 05:47 AM

edit

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by MrBS:
There's actually a variable you can set to enable the find as you type. It's not supported and I'm not sure if it's publicly announced... so... well... yeah.

Have fun!
~BS
Any hint?

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by philcozz:
Any hint?
It was pulled for a reason (or reasons)... I wouldn't activate it again even if you knew how to.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
It was pulled for a reason (or reasons)... I wouldn't activate it again even if you knew how to.
Oh well... At least it works the way it does. I just have to know how all links start to use it!

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 12:13 PM

If you customise your toolbar, you can add a button to your toolbar that will "Open a bookmark window containing the links on this page" which you can then search in the manner you want. A clumsy workaround for sure, but I imagine that OG will work on correcting the problems they had with their type ahead implementation for a "future" release.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
There is another more important reason for leaving a placeholder - it allows you to choose to view the blocked image/content if you do need or want to.
Also, people seem to overlook that it lets you know something is blocked. That's really handy when you're blocking due to regex. Unless you're blocking each ad individually (which doesn't really save you anything as you need to see each one and then take a few extra steps so you won't see that specific one again), your expressions will probably get a couple false positives. You filter out anything in a /banner/ or /ad/ directory and you'll find a site that may use that convention to display their art, or pictures of adam d's going away party... or something. Instead of looking at a very sparse page and thinking what a badly designed page it is as you would with pithhelmet, you see a bunch of unobtrusive, blocked resources that you can easily click to take a look at.

~BS

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
I have compared loading 10 tabs between OW 5 final and the latest Safari, and the OW 5 final seems to be noticeably (read: bothers me) slower. Is this a function of the different rendering engines?
This is the only problem I have too. Any solution to this at all?? Otherwise a fantastic product.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 05:42 PM

Any hint?

No hint, just posted to tease. Actually just posted to prompt a response from an OmniDude who knows if it's something they're publicly posting or not.

It would be nice if there was a list posted somewhere for all the hidden variables you can set that the public may actually use. Some possibilities including the using a user defined style sheet, enabling http... what's it called with the multiple threads or the prolonged sessions or whatever? Then there were some on how the popups display on tabs, and how tab navigation works, and... well, I'm sure there are a bunch more that have been publicly mentioned that I've forgotten or overlooked.

~BS

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 09:07 PM

You know, I wonder what an e-mail app from OmniGroup would look like...

My bet is very nice.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2004, 09:22 PM

I know this is off-topic, but I get this a lot, and I wanted to take the time to reply...

You know, I wonder what an e-mail app from OmniGroup would look like...

My bet is very nice.
Probably not as nice as Mail.app

Seriously, though, there are markets that haven't yet been explored, and email is definitely not one of them. In other words, we're probably not going to make an email application, and we're probably not going to make a word processor.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

philcozz
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:
I know this is off-topic, but I get this a lot, and I wanted to take the time to reply...

Seriously, though, there are markets that haven't yet been explored, and email is definitely not one of them. In other words, we're probably not going to make an email application, and we're probably not going to make a word processor.
Oh well...

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Tim2 at Omni:

Yeah mail.app is the paradigm of unassailable beauty and usefulness. I mean, I understand you guys not wanting to crowd in on an already full market or go head to head with the free, included software (at least more than once), but still...

~BS

ps. Timo any chance at an omniweb hidden variable cheat sheet? unsupported and untested and unholy but available?

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
ps. Timo any chance at an omniweb hidden variable cheat sheet? unsupported and untested and unholy but available?
The preferences we want you to know about are going to be posted at http://www.omnigroup.com/Documentati...sList-5.0.html sometime in the near future.

The preferences we don't want you to know about can be (relatively easily) found using various command-line tools you probably already have on your Mac.

BTW, there's a hidden Debug menu with some interesting stuff in there, like a "Reset OmniWeb" command. Try to find it!
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

Mike S.
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 11:56 PM

What happened to the icon app/packs?

Is that coming with 5.1? After?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 08:23 PM

The icon/theme addon (and a few others) will be released sometime between 5.0 and 5.1, most likely... unless 5.1 test/debug happens really fast. Either way, it'll be within the next few weeks.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

JKT  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:39 AM

Top tip that I've just learnt from the OW beta mailing list:

In the bookmarks window, you can sort bookmarks by clicking the Title heading (to get alphabetical sorting), etc. If you control click the headings you will discover several other options, just like in iTunes.

Edit - clicking the far left blank column top will sort by type (folder, RSS feed, plain bookmark).

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 06:18 AM

Actually, if you control-click the headings, you're likely to get the spinning beach ball, a freeze and a force quit.

Squilla

Forum Links
Forum Rules