Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple's Wireless Mouse & Keyboard (My thoughts)

Apple's Wireless Mouse & Keyboard (My thoughts)
im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 15, 2004, 06:24 AM

Well, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the Apple Wireless Mouse and Wireless Keyboard. As a PowerBook user, I find they compliment my setup very well.

Wireless Mouse 3/5
I found it cumbersome having a wired mouse when using my PB, as the mouse cord would easily become tangled, often becoming a nuisance and getting in my way. I really liked the simplicity of a one button mouse and therefor the wireless version caught my eye. It's slightly bigger and heavier than it's wired version, but this shouldn't be an issue for most people.

I've had this mouse for about 2.5 months now and replaced the included (2) batteries for the first time at about the 2 month mark. I've read reports of users getting 3 months or longer out of their batteries, but there are times when I don't bother to turn off the switch that is located beneath the mouse. When your battery meter gets low, you will be informed via a menu bar icon that will constantly flash and remind you that your battery power is low. I kind of found this reminder annoying and couldn't find a way to turn it off.

+ wakes computer up from sleep
- battery life could be better

Wireless Keyboard 3/5
I can't get very detailed for the review of this keyboard as I just recently bought it, but from my usage of it so far, it appears just as solid as it's wired counterpart. I prefer the design and feel of the older white keyboards, so I'm biased in this regard. The feel of this keyboard seems slightly awkward to me as I'm so used to my PowerBooks keys and previous Apple Pro Keyboards. But I'm hoping that as I become more accustomed to the feel of it, it will grow on me.

Just like the wireless mouse, batteries are included (4) and the switch to turn the keyboard off is located on the bottom. You have F1-F16 keys, the ability to wake your computer up from sleep, and everything else you'd expect.

+ looks easier to clean than the previous Apple Pro keyboards
- may take you awhile to get accustomed to the feel of this keyboard

Overall. I reccomend this setup for anyone itching to go wireless. If you have the money and the desire to free yourself from cables, then these two devices are just worth their cost. There is a certain coolness factor in having a wireless keyboard/mouse and bluetooth is a reliable and consistant technology in my experience.

If anyone would like to add anything or comment, feel free to do so.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 08:02 PM

I'd give them each an extra point.

I don't really have anything to add to the review, but what you state seems to warrant a higher review.

I guess I could add a recommendation to buy a set of rechargeable batteries.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 09:16 PM

I'd give the keyboard a 5. It's perfect for me, super long battery life and no problems at all after many months of full day use.

The mouse...maybe a 1.5. Buttons! Currently I'm using a wired Mx500 and I'd probably get a their bluetooth version if it had Mac drivers. With Expose extra mouse buttons become extremely useful.

-matt

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
The mouse...maybe a 1.5. Buttons!
How would you rate it as a one-button mouse?

Since, of course, that's what it is.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 09:31 PM

Why do you need a wireless keyboard?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Why do you need a wireless keyboard?
I have a laptop that stays in clamshell at home.

[edit]
Ooooh. I forgot. Just got a 30" lcd for the bedroom. Hook my laptop to that, surf from bed.
[/edit]

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

I prefer the design and feel of the older white keyboards, so I'm biased in this regard.

I agree 100%. I hate the new keyboards. I use my ibook all the time and going from that to computers at work, stinks. The old keyboard rules.

Anyone try this:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
I prefer the design and feel of the older white keyboards, so I'm biased in this regard.

I agree 100%. I hate the new keyboards. I use my ibook all the time and going from that to computers at work, stinks. The old keyboard rules.

Anyone try this:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php

the imac keyboards are so squishy .. ugh .. i soooo prefer the powerbook keyboards over those...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2004, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
the imac keyboards are so squishy .. ugh .. i soooo prefer the powerbook keyboards over those...
I don't understand how anyone could like a laptop keyboard.

I know a lot of people do, I just don't understand it.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by subego:
I don't understand how anyone could like a laptop keyboard.

I know a lot of people do, I just don't understand it.

i can type alot faster on notebook keyboards. the imac keyboard is squishy ... hard to explain ... the amount of time it takes for it to spring back up .. is noticeably slower than anotebook computer's keyboard. that ... and laptops have flat keys instead of tilted keys like a normal desktop keyboard. when they are all flat and even, it's easier to reach for them without lifting your fingers higher for the upper row keys ...

i had a old fujitsu with the cheaper clack inducing keyboards .. that were loud but surprisingly springy .. even though the keys were shrunken down (10.4 inch laptop guys) i can type faster on that fujitsu than on this powerbook...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

perbl
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2004, 07:58 AM

BTW, how do you clean the BT-keyboard? Is there some way to pop it open or something? Can't locate my manual right now, so perhaps it says how in there...

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 12:29 PM

The mouse...maybe a 1.5. Buttons! Currently I'm using a wired Mx500 and I'd probably get a their bluetooth version if it had Mac drivers. With Expose extra mouse buttons become extremely useful.
If you're talking about the MX1000 you can ignore the rest of this paragraph, but if you've been considering the MX900, why not use the MX700 instead? They're basically the same, except that one works via RF and the other via Bluetooth, but the MX700 is cheaper and also has a better distance range. For what it's worth, I actually don't even know why they made the MX900 since from what I can tell the MX700 matches it point for point and beats it in the distance from the receiver that you can go. I've been happily using the MX700 for...oh...I guess over 1.5 years now with absolutely no complaints...works for everything from games to graphics. Can't say anything about the MX1000 though since I don't know anything about it just yet though...
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
If you're talking about the MX1000 you can ignore the rest of this paragraph, but if you've been considering the MX900, why not use the MX700 instead? They're basically the same, except that one works via RF and the other via Bluetooth, but the MX700 is cheaper and also has a better distance range. For what it's worth, I actually don't even know why they made the MX900 since from what I can tell the MX700 matches it point for point and beats it in the distance from the receiver that you can go. I've been happily using the MX700 for...oh...I guess over 1.5 years now with absolutely no complaints...works for everything from games to graphics. Can't say anything about the MX1000 though since I don't know anything about it just yet though...
I have an MX700 for my desktop at home...great mouse. I need bluetooth for the laptop because I don't want to plug anything into it. I have an iCurve stand on my desk at work and I use the bluetooth keyboard and I'd love a bluetooth mouse so I can just plop the powerbook down, open the lid and go. No fussing with USB cables.

As far as the new keyboard, vs old. When they first released the new keyboard with G5s and eMacs I thought they were terrible, so sharp edged and no height adjustment. After using it for about a week though I loved it and bought another BT keyboard for my desktop and tossed the old apple extended keyboard in the corner. I love the smaller footprint and the key action is silky smooth. Perfect for me.

-matt

rmongold
Sep 16, 2004, 01:56 PM

I need bluetooth for the laptop because I don't want to plug anything into it. I have an iCurve stand on my desk at work and I use the bluetooth keyboard and I'd love a bluetooth mouse so I can just plop the powerbook down, open the lid and go. No fussing with USB cables.
This was exactly why I picked up an MX900. Even if there was some generic RF receiver dongle thing that would allow the MX700 to work, I probably would have gone Bluetooth (how often are you really more than 30 feet away from your computer with your mouse?) because it still means I have to plug something in.

The only three things I really want touching a port on my PowerBook are my SoundSticks, iPod and Power Adapter.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 07:00 PM

As far as the new keyboard, vs old. When they first released the new keyboard with G5s and eMacs I thought they were terrible, so sharp edged and no height adjustment. After using it for about a week though I loved it and bought another BT keyboard for my desktop and tossed the old apple extended keyboard in the corner. I love the smaller footprint and the key action is silky smooth. Perfect for me.
I hope the feel of this keyboard grows on me, as it really does feel sharp edged, like you say, and in my experience I prefer typing on a keyboard that is relatively flat and not slanted, but only time will tell...

It's so awesome having a wireless keyboard and mouse though, I love that aspect of it

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules