Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking For Homework Software

Looking For Homework Software
Phil333
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 04:59 PM

I'm a college student and I'm looking for a simple piece of software to manage my homework, test times, etc etc. There's one program on Version Tracker but it's basically worthless. Does anyone have any suggestions besides resorting to pen and paper?

Thanks

-Phil

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 28, 2004, 05:04 PM

I'd also like software that does my homework for me.

But seriously, iCal is pretty good though.

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 05:30 PM

I would suggest using iCal for when tests are and the iCal To-Do items for individual assignments.
I used to do it that way, but now I'm using the low-tech method of making myself a note in Stickies since I use that for everything else anyway.

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 06:29 PM

back in my undergraduate days I used Claris Organizer (which evolved into Palm Desktop). More recently for law school I just used iCal. I'd suggest sticking with that, or, for "to-dos" going with OmniOutliner (which doubles as a great note-taking application btw).

(PS-Omnigroup does great student pricing if you don't have a free copy, and they will be upgrading Outliner to 3.0 in the near term)
cpac

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
I would suggest using iCal for when tests are and the iCal To-Do items for individual assignments.
The sucky thing about iCal ToDO items is that you can't prioritize them or really put them into any order. They always show up alphabetically - which seems ridiculous at best.

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
The sucky thing about iCal ToDO items is that you can't prioritize them or really put them into any order. They always show up alphabetically - which seems ridiculous at best.
You can prioritise them by changing their priority (None, V. Important, Important, Not Important) which will change the order in which they appear.
You can also right-click on the To Do area and Sort by Priority, Summary (Name) or Due Date.

DarwinX
Sep 29, 2004, 12:59 PM

I haven't used it myself, but it looks cool and functional enough:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15817

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
You can prioritise them by changing their priority (None, V. Important, Important, Not Important) which will change the order in which they appear.
You can also right-click on the To Do area and Sort by Priority, Summary (Name) or Due Date.
Is this feature new? I last tried this with iCal over a year ago, and I looked everywhere for a way to prioritize. It is good to know it is there, though.

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Is this feature new? I last tried this with iCal over a year ago, and I looked everywhere for a way to prioritize. It is good to know it is there, though.
I think it's been there at lease since Panther came out - maybe longer....
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules