Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using USB PC and Mac together

Using USB PC and Mac together
kwiersma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2000, 03:04 PM

I am buiding a PC right now to use along side my PowerCenter Pro and am wondering about USB switch boxes. Does anyone else have a USB switch box which they use to switch a single keyboard and mouse between a USB equiped Mac and a USB PC?

I was thinking of getting a USB switch box for this purpose but am uncertain of where to look to buy a good one. I am also looking for something that can serve as a switch box for my 15" monitor. I checked out Montiswitch USB, but it seems a little expensive to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

--KW

Sergio R Schubert
Jun 2, 2000, 10:59 AM

The Dr. Bott Moniswitchis a little on the pricey side, however I have found the performance to be flawless. I have mine attached to my PowerMac G3, a Windows2000 box, Win98, and a "guest" port for my G3laptop. I'm using 2 Belkin 7port USB hubs (the oblong black ones)and the only problem I have is that when switching back and forth - the MacOS sometimes doesn't correctly reload the drivers (this could be because I do not have native USB) and that Windows insists on trying to auto-detect drivers for mac-only USB devices and I have to click cancel in the wizard dialog (a minor inconvenience) It is a VERY well built product, and I reccomend it without reservations.

JHSheppard
Jun 2, 2000, 11:31 AM

I am using an IOGEAR switchbox from ClubMac($129) with my B&W G3 and a Compaq. Works great except that Windows often refuses to recognize the right mouse button.

lafinjack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 11:32 AM

Like Sergio, I have a Dr. Bott Moniswitch. I use it for my G4 and an Athlon PC. Its great, and the included cables are top notch. But also like Sergio, the Mac OS sometomes doesn't "pick up" the keyboard and mouse, so I seriously doubt this is a problem with not having built in USB. This happens maybe a quarter of the time. The same happens to the PC, but much less often. Its not that much of a problem though, because I just switch away from the G4 and switch right back.

On the subject, everyone get the MS Natural Keyboard and Intellimouse Explorer! Both seriously kick ass, and if USB Overdrive or that other driver project get the blue buttons on the top of the keyboard to work with the Mac, then all the better.

Scott @ [email protected]
"Look into my nipples of the future..." -Really Really Big Man

bob_vineyard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 02:22 PM

I use a Mitsubishi 900u monitor as a switchbox. It has two upstream and three downstream ports and also BNC & D-SUB monitor connectors. A little click on the front monitor switch and I not only use the same mouse and keyboard (Microsoft natural keyboard & Intellimouse Pro) but also the same monitor. You can re-map the windows keyboard Alt & Window key to keep the Command key and Option keys working on the mac side.
Bob Vineyard

clee93
Jun 2, 2000, 03:06 PM

I have a G4 450 and an etower 333. I use an IOGEAR 4 port USB KVM. I've got a Microsoft Intellimouse optical mouse, an Epson Stylus 740 printer, Yamaha YST-MS35D speakers (all USB), and an Apple 17" Studio Display connected to it and they all work with no problems at all. I am still using 2 keyboards and would like suggestions for a USB keyboard that will work for both platforms.

Forum Links
Forum Rules