Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So an iMac now a good idea

So an iMac now a good idea
ntsc
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 12:43 PM

hey everyone

i'm thinking seriously about buying a new iMac but i'm really not sure what to do about it. i'm a computer science student and i'm currently running on an iBook-600 which is beginning to feel a little old and i need more storage desperately.

i can afford the top end iMac but theres no way i can stretch to a PowerMac what does everyone think, will i get burned by an update to the iMac, and/or the graphics card situation especially with Tiger coming and it depending so heavily on graphics performance. i don't do any gaming at the moment, unfortunately an ATI Rage 128 with 8meg of vram doesn't really cut it, but i would like to play some like UT2004 though i certainly don't want or need a gaming rig.

opinions, thought, am i getting overly cautions about this? appologies but as a student this is mega money so i'd rather not waste it
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

I'm almost certain that Apple has stated that the GPU (5200 Ultra) in the iMac will be able to take full advantage of the upcoming CoreImage in OS X 10.4. If component upgradeability down the road is your prime consideration, then you might want to think about the lower end of the PowerMac line. Otherwise, the iMac is an excellent machine that I suspect you'll like as well as appreciate for it's compact design.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 05:05 PM

Having a G5 iMac in combination with your iBook is a fantastic combo. I really like the G5 iMac and if the upgrade scale is going to be anything like the G4 iMac, I don't think anybody will get burned by an upgrade. The G4 started with 800MHz and ended up with 1.25 G4 (not too much of a jump if you ask me). Besides that, some of the hardware is user installable so if you get tired with the Combo drive, you could just switch it up for a Super drive later down the road, same thing goes for the HD as well (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I'd still wait for the upgrade sitting around the corner, you don't want to get a new G5 iMac now and then see a price drop for a faster machine. If you can't wait just find the best deal you can and enjoi your machine to the fullest.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 05:23 PM

when was the last update?

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

hmm this would be me just speculating but since tiger to come out soon, can we expect revs for the imac line and even the mac mini line for like this fall? maybe hicking some processor speed and better video cards, i will expect the mini to get the current card for the imac, in its next rev up.

Sarah31
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 02:37 PM

If you wait for any reason I would wait for either Tiger to come out or the prices to drop. I doubt that you will get burned buy any revisiions to come. Processor speed jumops are really moot in this day and age unless you are jumping from a G3 to a G4 or 5. The only revision that you could get burned on .. if you have need for it... would be later revisions including bluetooth.

While there are more features since my 12" powerbook G4 (first gen) came out the only thing I feltr burned on was the $600 price drop that happened two weeks after I received it.

I have been really happy with my G5 iMac. I had to bump up the RAM but other than that I have had no issues with it. I know alot of gamers whine about the graphics card but if you are not a gamer it is more than sufficient.

ntsc  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2005, 09:41 AM

well i'm sure you'll all be happy to hear that i finally bit the bullet and bought an iMac 20" bluetooth included

according to TNT shipping its out for delivery today so hopefully i shall be enjoying it soon...
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 12:57 PM

Congratulations!

Let us know how it is. I'm also considering getting an iMac 20" for college as I will have $3000US for graduation soon. I was thinking that $3000 would get me a 20" iMac and a 12" iBook, except I'm going to wait since updates to both machines should be around the corner.

But, I could also get a decked out PB 15", although I'd rather have a machine with a G5. If the PowerBooks get a G5 next revision, do you guys think I should go for a decked G5 PB or just stick with iMac iBook combo?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 02:47 PM

iMac iBook/12"pBook combo for college. I got a 12" pBook and am waiting for the next revision to the iMac line before I go out and get it. I don't think we're going to se a G5 in the pBook line for some time to come, here's hoping I'm wrong.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules