Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disable Dashboard?

Disable Dashboard?
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 01:02 AM

I've been searching Goolge and here for about 15-minutes now, no mention of such a capability. Is there a way to disable the Dasboard entirely? Is it true that if you never activate it after a reboot that it's effectively "off", and not consuming any system resources whatsoever? I'd prefer that it be "off" for real, so that download and/or installing a widget wouldn't somehow bring it to life.

The Dasboard belongs in the Apple Museum of Stupid Technology right next to the GeoPort and One-button Mouse.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 01:18 AM

Just don't use it and it won't take any resources.

Dashboard is great for me. One button I can check the temperature, do some simple calculations, and look up words in the dictionary.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2005, 01:47 AM

How can you possibly have been searching here for 15 minutes and not have stumbled upon one of the many, many threads from the past couple of weeks asking the exact same question? It seems like I can't sign on here without finding another one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
How can you possibly have been searching here for 15 minutes and not have stumbled upon one of the many, many threads from the past couple of weeks asking the exact same question? It seems like I can't sign on here without finding another one.
Then point me to one ding dong! Can't post anything anywhere these days without getting **** on.
( Last edited by chrisutley; May 14, 2005 at 02:01 AM. )

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 02:01 AM

People.

If you don't want Dashboard, never activate Dashboard.

It will consume none of your memory.

It will not be brought "to life" by downloading a widget.

It will not sleep with your girlfriend.

Remove its Dock icon, disable its activation key, and as far as you know, Dashboard will not exist on your computer.

It doesn't get much clearer than that. Got it? Or do I need to repeat this a few more times for the slower folks here?

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2005, 02:05 AM

You are brilliant. How did they pass over you when they selected the new Pope?

When did the Internet go from people helping each other, to anti-social people like this entering pissing contests constantly? I mean seriously, this is the problem with message boards everywhere these days - classic case. These people cannot just let something go, they are trolling constantly looking to put somebody down and pound their chest. It's ****ing pathetic. You people acting out your passive aggressive behavior that you apparently supress in real life because you are cowards.

I'm sick of it. Sad to see MacNN has fallen into the same trap. Another board bites the dust. Later.

Originally Posted by awaspaas
People.

If you don't want Dashboard, never activate Dashboard.

It will consume none of your memory.

It will not be brought "to life" by downloading a widget.

Remove its Dock icon, disable its activation key, and as far as you know, Dashboard will not exist on your computer.

It doesn't get much clearer than that. Got it? Or do I need to repeat this a few more times for the slower folks here?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by chrisutley

When did the Internet go from people helping each other, to anti-social people like this entering pissing contests constantly? I mean seriously, this is the problem with message boards everywhere these days - classic case. These people cannot just let something go, they are trolling constantly looking to put somebody down and pound their chest. It's ****ing pathetic. You people acting out your passive aggressive behavior that you apparently supress in real life because you are cowards.

I'm sick of it. Sad to see MacNN has fallen into the same trap. Another board bites the dust. Later.
Nice. I answered your question.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas

Goodness people, buy a clue

awaspaas
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 02:42 AM

That would really be a malicious widget.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 10:08 PM

Later.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 10:23 PM

First of all, Dashboard is NEVER active or consuming ANY resources until the first time it's activated (as others have said).

Second, downloading a widget will NOT, EVER bring Dashboard "to life". No, not even a malicious widget. You have to *manually run* every widget, even auto-downloaded/installed ones.

Third, if this is even remotely related to the widget issue, well - and I don't know any other way to explain this - you're retarded, because 1. it is COMPLETELY mitigated by turning off "Open 'safe' files after downloading", 2. You still have to MANUALLY and DELIBERATELY run any auto-downloaded widget, 3. the "issue" is fixed in 10.4.1.

You can delete (though I wouldn't recommend that) or simply archive (e.g., zip, stuff, etc.) Dashboard.app, and delete or archive /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DashboardClient.app, and Dashboard will no longer function.
( Last edited by piracy; May 14, 2005 at 10:57 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

Deleting Dashboard.app in /Applications doesn't stop F12 from activating Dashboard, which is contained in Dock.app.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

tigas
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 10:48 PM

Really? I thought it was Dock.app that controlled Dashboard and that Dashboard.app was just a proxy for Dock.app. The .plist of Dashboard.app is "DashboardLauncher".

So, if I'd like to find out how to make widgets auto-activate on login in the background, what app should I investigate? Dock or Dashboard?

loki74
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 04:08 AM

Later. Ive never once in my entire life seen a bb where people dont get heat for asking a question thats been asked and answered a million times. (yes, Im exaggerating) The guy answered your question, and tried to answer some questions you might have about his solution. Thats going the extra mile for you, buddy. Show some appreciation. Youre the coward if youre gonna run from a little heat because you did something silly. Youre the one whos overreacting from the start and accusing everyone else of your very flaw. Just grow up. Well I guess youre not reading this, but whatever.

Anyhoo, I think that eventually Apple will make dashboard a disableable option. I mean, its not that hard to see that maybe its not for everyone, and no, I dont think that anyone here has mentioned the security thing, piracy...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules