Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Blinking sleep light. MacBook won't boot.

Blinking sleep light. MacBook won't boot.
oranjdisc
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 10:48 AM

Ack! Out of nowhere my MacBook shut off, and now the sleep light on the front latch blinks -- not gradually fading in and out -- but blinks on and off. It won't power on. Tried popping the battery out, popped it back in, nothing. Any ideas folks?

ntsc
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 11:00 AM

it may have gone to sleep if it felt that the battery was low. have you tried pluging into the mains?
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

oranjdisc  (op)
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 11:02 AM

Yes, it's plugged into the power outlet. Orange light on the magnet plug.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 11:30 AM

Tried the programmer's restart? control-command-power. Or hold the power button down for 10 seconds to force a shutdown.

If that doesn't work: You should take the battery out, disconnect AC, and press the power button for 5 seconds. Wait a minute, plug everything back in. Should power up at that point. This is how you reset the PMU on the MBP.

Report back if none of this works. Have you installed RAM lately?

victorwu
Baninated
May 9, 2006, 12:13 PM

Did you use the xom.efi hack that came out before Bootcamp? Or are you using Bootcamp itself?
The firmware could have been affected.... (I've used both, currently bootcamp, although I haven't had problems).
On Apple Support Download page, you can download the Firmware Restoration CD for the early 2006 intel macs. I suggest burning this and trying it out. Once you burn the cd, put it in and hold the power button until the same LED (the sleep light) you're talking about blinks in rapid succession several times, then let go.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2006, 09:38 AM

Hi

My MB just started to do something similar. Did you resolve your issue ?

Thanks - Michael

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2006, 11:16 AM

Try reseating your RAM? When I upgraded mine it wasn't pushed in all the way and wouldn't boot back up: the light was blinking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules