Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Went by the bank tonight..

Went by the bank tonight..
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2007, 03:13 AM

..on my way home from work. Had a load of cash I needed to drop in the ATM. There were no envelopes in the little envelope holders so I dipped. I checked this before even getting out my card or my stash, 'cause it happens pretty often at this busy location.

I've got a long-ish drive from work to home, so I figured I'd just hit up another branch of my bank, closer to home. Get there, pull in, get out. NO ENVELOPES IN THE ENVELOPE HOLDER THINGS!!

I start lookin around for clues to the madness, as well as peering into the little funny mirror that distorts your face when I noticed something. New and exciting, the screen is telling me "Yo, you don't need no envelopes son. Just slide that check right in here and we'll scan it, confirm how much the check is for, and print you a copy of the scanned check on the receipt."

After that I made another deposit, this time it was cash. This little metal box opened up and asked for my cash. "Yo, you can pass me up to 40 bills, I'll sort and count them shits" And it did.

This is Bank of America, and I'm quite pleased with my first deposit sans envelope.

Does your bank do this?
ice

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2007, 03:27 AM

That's the only way to deposit money at my bank. We've never had envelopes....

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2007, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by pheonixash View Post
That's the only way to deposit money at my bank. We've never had envelopes....
oh. for years? are you in the states?
ice

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 04:03 AM

I saw that the other day at the B of A in Escondido. Too bad I have direct deposit.

BTW: has anyone else noticed that the new "Diebold" atm machines that B of A has are always out of order?

hickey
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 04:08 AM

my B of A in santa monica never has working atms. It sucks hard. but they do have envelope less deposits.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
oh. for years? are you in the states?
No, I'm in Singapore.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 04:30 AM

I'm with Bank of America too, and I thought that was the neatest thing. Very convenient.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 05:53 AM

Walk Over YA requires a deposit slip AND envelope. They don't seem to have both receipt tape AND envelopes at an ATM at the same time, and MANY are out of bucks.

Naplander
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 09:07 AM

My bank (HSBC) here in the UK does the same
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 09:26 AM

Sounds neat. I wish citibank did this, but since I rarely use the atm it isn't so important to me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 09:41 AM

I just use direct deposit

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 09:43 AM

The title of this thread reminds me of when I was working in Philly, and I wanted to make a deposit. This bank had a rear door, and when I went in the place was empty. Odd, but I thought it's just slow. Turns out slow wasn't quite it. They had forgotten to lock the place up. No alarms - just me. It was one of the more rough sections of Philly, and the thought of a cop walking up and finding me in there didn't appeal to me. I jammed and called it in. No deposit - and no withdrawal either.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 09:46 AM

I thought you were going to tell me they were open.

That would have blown my mind.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 10:01 AM

Nice, I haven't seen those new ATMs from BoA yet.

I'm quite pleased with the Deposit@Home service from USAA, were you just scan your check and it gets deposited the same day.

Doesn't work with cash though

-t

zro
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 10:18 AM

I've always walked in to the teller to make deposits.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 11:27 AM

I miss the little drive-up deposit with the pneumatic tube capsules. Anybody else remember those? (I was under 7, I'm pretty sure, last time I saw these.) I'd stare out of the car window and think, "whoa, the future. Robots and tubes!"

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 11:28 AM

Those are still prevalent in my area.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 11:35 AM

We still have them - it's where the intarweb stops - you can put information straight into the tube.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2007, 12:08 PM

we still have the drive-up with pneumatic tube thingies.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
we still have the drive-up with pneumatic tube thingies.
Those are the coolest.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
This bank had a rear door, and when I went in the place was empty. Odd, but I thought it's just slow. Turns out slow wasn't quite it. They had forgotten to lock the place up. No alarms - just me.
That's a great story! Wacky.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 12:59 PM

Thats pretty cool. Saves tons of paper, and I'm sure it saves BofA lots of cash.

Along those lines, the Apple Store at my local mall recently did a small renovation on their store, closing it for a week. When they reopened I went in to check it out. They moved some stuff around, generally making it a more open, clean space. But the best change they made (IMO) is that they no longer have a checkout register. All employees carry a small PDA-like device that they use to scan items, take your money (cards or cash) and then it emails you a receipt. No paper, no standing in line at the register. Of course, if you really want a paper receipt, they can print one out for you.

I like the way companies are slowly moving towards paperless systems. Its a good thing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
All employees carry a small PDA-like device that they use to scan items.
A Newton!!1!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 01:21 PM

I like the way companies are slowly moving towards paperless systems. Its a good thing.
I don't know who said it, but it went somewhat like this:

There won't be a paperless office until there is a paperless bathroom.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 01:29 PM

But the best change they made (IMO) is that they no longer have a checkout register. All employees carry a small PDA-like device that they use to scan items, take your money (cards or cash) and then it emails you a receipt. No paper, no standing in line at the register. Of course, if you really want a paper receipt, they can print one out for you.
They started doing that a couple years ago at the Apple Store in Sacramento and San Francisco (I'm sure others as well.) It first popped up during Christmas a few years back when the Shuffle and the new(er) color iPod came out. It did a really nice job of keeping the store open and getting the iPod people in and out so other people who were purchasing computers and software didn't have to wait.

I don't remember which award it was, but Apple got severl for their innovations in retail, which included their "EasyPay" wireless credit card system (it emails you your receipt, by the way.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I don't remember which award it was, but Apple got severl for their innovations in retail, which included their "EasyPay" wireless credit card system (it emails you your receipt, by the way.)
Wouldn't wirelessly transmitting credit card data pose a security risk?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You mean like being able to swipe your credit/debit card without the need of a signature or PIN... from a distance?

I guess it all depends on how much you trust a company to keep your data private.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 03:51 PM

Well one of my teachers was talking about Lowes or some other big-box home improvement store implementing wireless cash registers. Some guy sat out in the parking lot with a laptop capturing all of the credit card data being transmitted. They caught him when someone noticed a guy moving his car whenever a closer spot opened up.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 03:55 PM

They caught him when someone noticed a guy moving his car whenever a closer spot opened up.
Who the hell notices that?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 03:59 PM

It wasn't encrypted?

wingdo
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Who the hell notices that?
VERY bored people.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2007, 05:39 PM

Well one of my teachers was talking about Lowes or some other big-box home improvement store implementing wireless cash registers. Some guy sat out in the parking lot with a laptop capturing all of the credit card data being transmitted. They caught him when someone noticed a guy moving his car whenever a closer spot opened up.
This is so stupid, it must be true...

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 07:07 PM

There are grocery stores who are starting to implement a cash register-free system. The catch is, customers who want to use this have to get a card that they carry with them which has a chip in it. Sensors near the doorways flag you as you enter, you walk around picking up the things you need, and you walk out. It scans what you have in your cart, charges your account and sends the bill to you later.

Kinda scary at face value, but it seems to be working where its being put in place. There will always be people trying to steal your data (even in our current systems), this is no different.

Hippo1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Nice, I haven't seen those new ATMs from BoA yet.

I'm quite pleased with the Deposit@Home service from USAA, were you just scan your check and it gets deposited the same day.

Doesn't work with cash though

-t
might try it with your Mac effective today. ;-)

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I miss the little drive-up deposit with the pneumatic tube capsules. Anybody else remember those? (I was under 7, I'm pretty sure, last time I saw these.) I'd stare out of the car window and think, "whoa, the future. Robots and tubes!"
Hahaha. Me too! I thought they were the coolest things ever when i was younger. Good times
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post

Umm, aren't they still around? What do you put your money in when you drive up to a teller?
ice

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 12:03 AM

They don't have drive-up human tellers around here anymore. Drive-up is all ATM.
Chuck
___

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 12:22 AM

I've never understood why people are willing to dump CASH in some strange machine in the middle of the street. It's much more secure to hang onto it yourself.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 12:36 AM

I took my US Treasury Income Tax Refund check to the BofA ATM which scans checks and cash.

It couldn't read the US Treasury check. Spit it out every time. I had to take time out of my super busy schedule to wait in line to see a teller.

Not cool.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I've never understood why people are willing to dump CASH in some strange machine in the middle of the street. It's much more secure to hang onto it yourself.
I suppose that depends on where you live, doesn't it island boy?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 03:14 AM

I wouldn't give my bank card to a strange machine in the middle of the street either. I've got no problem giving either to an ATM on the side of my bank, though.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jun 10, 2007, 01:15 PM

Some of us have these things called "jobs" where we make money and have to place the in things called "banks" so we are able to feel secure and make money with our money.

I guess if I only had ten bucks to my name I wouldn't trust in to a "strange machine" either.

Welcome to the twenty first century. On your island, do you usually just barter and exchange shiny rocks or shells?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2007, 01:19 PM

My bank, Wells Fargo, has drive through tellers that use the pneumatic tube things at every branch I know of, as well as a drive up ATM at each branch. And the tellers have always been very nice to deal with as well. Now if they'd only open another branch somewhere nearer my house, that'd be great. They HAD a branch about a mile away, but they closed it in some stupid branch consolidation and tore the thing down-that lot has a CVS pharmacy on it now, and the closest branch is more than five miles away.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 02:11 PM

Yes, which is why it should be encrypted and secure. Sometimes people screw up. Like TJX. http://www.informationweek.com/showA...leID=199500385

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Welcome to the twenty first century. On your island, do you usually just barter and exchange shiny rocks or shells?
I was under the impression that they exchanged nights at their guest apartment for moonlit walks in the woods.

I suppose in the future, our Orwellian ATM overlords might demand harsher methods to enforce our subserviance, other than our PIN, but I don't remember ATMs being featured in the machine uprising scenes in Terminator 3, so maybe we have nothing to worry about.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Some of us have these things called "jobs" where we make money and have to place the in things called "banks" so we are able to feel secure and make money with our money.
And then some of us have real "jobs" where we don't get paid in cash. And pay taxes and stuff.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 04:11 PM

I haven’t made a deposit to my bank in... about six years? I’ve been using online banking since about 2000, I’d say. Salaries and such things are just debited directly to my account.

Once every blue moon (like last year, when my card expired and I had to wait a week for a new one, or if I need to transfer money to a non-EU account), I’ll be forced to actually enter my bank and deal with them in person to withdraw money; but other than that, all my bank dealings have been done online for yonks. I never even use ATMs, I just withdraw a bit of extra cash at the stores when I need it.

I haven’t held a cheque in my hand for... well, a very long time. My grandparents used to give me cheques instead of cash for my birthdays, back when I was about 13 or so.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
And then some of us have real "jobs" where we don't get paid in cash. And pay taxes and stuff.
That doesn't change the fact that carrying lots of cash in your back pocket is way less secure than having it deposited in an FDIC-insured bank.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Jun 10, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
Jobs are for the working class.

And I assure you, I pay far more taxes than you do.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 10, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I haven’t made a deposit to my bank in... about six years? I’ve been using online banking since about 2000, I’d say. Salaries and such things are just debited directly to my account.

Once every blue moon (like last year, when my card expired and I had to wait a week for a new one, or if I need to transfer money to a non-EU account), I’ll be forced to actually enter my bank and deal with them in person to withdraw money; but other than that, all my bank dealings have been done online for yonks. I never even use ATMs, I just withdraw a bit of extra cash at the stores when I need it.

I haven’t held a cheque in my hand for... well, a very long time. My grandparents used to give me cheques instead of cash for my birthdays, back when I was about 13 or so.
Haven't you ever sold anything or had someone pay you for something besides work? I have had checks for various reasons delivered to the house recently. Most were related to financial mistakes from companies where they had to issue me a check, or for selling something.

And when I do go to the bank, I use a teller for the most part. I like talking to them and seeing if there's any new way of investing my money or if they have determined a new way in which the bank can serve me.

Plus, ATMs take jobs away from people. I like that people are employed. With all of the money banks save using ATMs, they have not passed a bit of it on to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules