Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When to buy a 2GB DIMM?

When to buy a 2GB DIMM?
wingdo
Senior User
May 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

RAM prices are in a free fall of late. Just this week alone, OWC (MacSales) has had 4 price cuts on the 2GB DIMM for a MBP C2D. 149.99 on Monday, 144.99 on Wednesday, 137.99 yesterday and now down to 129.99 on Friday. If it wasn't for Parallels / VmWare my 2GB is fine, but as these prices continue to drop it almost seems wrong to not upgrade.

How much further can these prices fall before they start their climb back up? I have seen articles that RAM will fall through mid June, but there must be a point where RAM will just stop dropping. Clearing up inventory is one thing, a blood letting of prices is another. When do I buy?
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
...How much further can these prices fall before they start their climb back up?
RAM prices have been generally falling since 1985 and they will continue to fall on a long term basis. They will not "start their climb back up," except perhaps in response to some catastrophic event(s) like factory fires or whatever.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 09:41 PM

The huge price drop for 2GB modules ($1500ish to $150ish) is just a reflection of the increased number of fabs producing the 2Gb chips over the last year. Now that everyone and their mother is producing them, prices will continue to fall but more slowly.

I can see DDR2 prices holding steady once DDR3 becomes common (Intel is just starting to release DDR3 chipsets; the rest of the industry will follow over the next year or two), but I doubt it will go up more than ~10% even as demand dies off and supply dries up.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 01:31 AM

I notice the price of DDR2 memory is pretty good right now. Of course, it will drop.

This graph shows a rough picture as well. ramseeker�: Memory and Ram prices. Apple, PC, Digital Camera

Forum Links
Forum Rules