Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying the QuickSilver

Buying the QuickSilver
malson
Senior User
Jul 29, 2001, 04:27 AM

I am going to purchase a brand new 867 QuickSilver. It will be my first new mac since my venerable 8500/150. I do have a few questions though.

First things first, I am looking buy the QuickSilver with the following configuration:
  • Power Mac G4
    867MHz PowerPC G4
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/TwinView (64MB SDRAM)
    Combo (DVD/CD-RW)
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Ultra SCSI PCI card & cable adapter
    56K internal modem
    128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
    Accessory kit
    Mac OS - U.S. English

Some questions: Where is the best place to purchase this system? In the current configuration I can get it for $2160 from the Apple Store for Education. Problem is that tax and expedited shipping add $163 to the total ($2323). Is there anywhere that I can get the same system for a better price?

Second, is the UltraSCSI card necessary? I currently have a 23gig external hard drive that is SCSI. I was planning on using the drive first to transfer old files and then as a back-up drive for the new computer. I know that an easier solution would be to network both machines together and go from there, but I don't know if I'm going to keep the 8500 for long. So, is it better to go ahead and get Apple to stuff a card in there or pick one up from somewhere else and install it myself?

Third, the TwinView card. I don't have the cash available to purchase a new lcd monitor at this time. So, I'm planning on sticking with my 15" Apple Multiple Scan for a few more months. Is the Twinview card worth the extra bucks ($94) to be able to run an lcd and vga monitor at the same time? I am planning on doing a lot of web design/graphics work and my thinking right now is that a separate monitor for palattes would be nice. What are your thoughts/comments?

Last(for now), I have a nice set of Monsoon MM-1000 speakers that I bought recently. Is there a port to attach these speakers on the new machines? I guess the headphone jack would work, and I assume that it puts out digital stereo. Let me know if I'm wrong. Might have to get a SoundBlaster Live! card or something.

Sorry for the long post. Like I said, this is my first new computer in over five years. I have busted my butt earning every last dollar for this machine and I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered. Thanks...
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 04:36 AM

sorry to say the only place to get that system is from apples online store. This is beacuse you have is confugured specail from what apples normal madels are. I just got a 733 QuickSilver and it is SO nice!!! I love it! Hope you do to.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 07:24 PM

Mike, actually some places like Smalldog have BTO machines on sale.

kwiersma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2001, 08:27 PM

Some questions: Where is the best place to purchase this system? In the current configuration I can get it for $2160 from the Apple Store for Education. Problem is that tax and expedited shipping add $163 to the total ($2323). Is there anywhere that I can get the same system for a better price?
I doubt you will be able to do better anywhere for a couple of reason. First you want a custom configured machine. Second you are order as an educational customer which gives you about a $200 discount from Apple's normal prices. I could be wrong but my guess is you won't be able to top that for the configuration you want. I just order one like yours the other day and that is what my research showed.

Second, is the UltraSCSI card necessary? I currently have a 23gig external hard drive that is SCSI. I was planning on using the drive first to transfer old files and then as a back-up drive for the new computer. I know that an easier solution would be to network both machines together and go from there, but I don't know if I'm going to keep the 8500 for long. So, is it better to go ahead and get Apple to stuff a card in there or pick one up from somewhere else and install it myself?
Sound like the SCSI card is a good idea in your case. Otherwise there will be no easy way to use your nice exturnal harddrive when you get ride of your 8500.

Third, the TwinView card. I don't have the cash available to purchase a new lcd monitor at this time. So, I'm planning on sticking with my 15" Apple Multiple Scan for a few more months. Is the Twinview card worth the extra bucks ($94) to be able to run an lcd and vga monitor at the same time? I am planning on doing a lot of web design/graphics work and my thinking right now is that a separate monitor for palattes would be nice. What are your thoughts/comments?
As a fellow web developer I would say yes. You cannot beat a dual monitor setup! I went for the GeForce3 instead because I wanted damn fast games!

Last(for now), I have a nice set of Monsoon MM-1000 speakers that I bought recently. Is there a port to attach these speakers on the new machines? I guess the headphone jack would work, and I assume that it puts out digital stereo. Let me know if I'm wrong. Might have to get a SoundBlaster Live! card or something.
As far as I know you can hook up your Monsoon speakers to the headphones port ONLY. The digital sound out port on the Quicksilver machines has a special connector that will ONLY work with Apple speakers. I doubt you will really be able to tell the difference though.

Hope this helps.

--KW

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2001, 12:55 AM

I agree with all that kwiersma said. A another piece of advice. You should get the 60 GB hard disk in your new mac, since it runs at 7200 rpm, and 40 runs at 5400. The 40 won't be an improovement over your current 23GB. Plus, the apple store is the only place that offers educational discounts on hard drives.
-- SBS --

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2001, 05:10 AM

It'd be a good RC5 machine too
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2001, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>I agree with all that kwiersma said. A another piece of advice. You should get the 60 GB hard disk in your new mac, since it runs at 7200 rpm, and 40 runs at 5400. The 40 won't be an improovement over your current 23GB. Plus, the apple store is the only place that offers educational discounts on hard drives. </STRONG>
Or, BTO the smallest drive you can (40?) and get a nice, fast drive elsewhere for a MUCH better price... but then you're still stuck with a 5400 rpm drive which'd just plain annoy me :|

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 09:44 AM

On my BTO dual-800 I config'ed the 40GB slower drive and with the savings was able to order a IBM 60GXP 60GB 7,200 RPM drive--one of the fastest. I will put 9 on the slow drive and X on the fast. Also will use the slow drive for all MP3's, QT movies (drive's way, way fast enough for that sort of playback), and some backups. Seems a fair plan.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 08:31 PM

I say forget the 867 and just buy the 733. You'll save $600, enough to either buy a 15" Apple LCD or just pocket it for other stuff.

Trust me, you'll be a lot happier. 133Mhz won't really make that big a difference in performance to warrant the extra price.

PS: if max performance is an issue, a DUAL-800 stripped down is $2400 educational price!

IMHO.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
<STRONG>I say forget the 867 and just buy the 733. You'll save $600, enough to either buy a 15" Apple LCD or just pocket it for other stuff.

Trust me, you'll be a lot happier. 133Mhz won't really make that big a difference in performance to warrant the extra price.

PS: if max performance is an issue, a DUAL-800 stripped down is $2400 educational price!

IMHO.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</STRONG>
The Mhz may not be a big difference but what about the lack of L2 or L3 cache on the 733 as opposed to the 2mb L3 cache on the 867? I think that would slow down the 733 quite a bit.
Regards,
Dave

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2001, 10:59 PM

Like I said, if performance is paramount, then he should spend an extra $80 f(add to his initial setup) and just buy the DUAL-800 which is selling for $2400 at the Education Apple Store.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

malson  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2001, 08:13 PM

I never really considered the possibility of getting a dual-800 machine. I am not much of a Photoshop nut and I have never even used OS X. I am planning on keeping this machine til it dies. Like I said before, this will be my first new mac in 6 years. Would it be a good thing to go ahead and get the dual machine instead of the 867? What are the pros/cons? Please, let me know what you think.
--------------
Moo...

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2001, 09:52 PM

Duals have great multi-tasking benefits. You'll never be waiting around for apps to respond. OSX will run incredibly well on it. Quite a few pro. applications use it. iTunes will probably NEVER skip. :-) iMovie uses two CPUs. etc. etc. If you ever buy an external DVD burner, it will encode MPEG2 in real time (the Dual-800 can).

The benefits of dualies are many. The extra $$$ is the only downside I see.

With so much horsepower, it will probably last you 10 years ... unless you play the latest and greatest games.

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by malson:
<STRONG>I never really considered the possibility of getting a dual-800 machine. I am not much of a Photoshop nut and I have never even used OS X. I am planning on keeping this machine til it dies. Like I said before, this will be my first new mac in 6 years. Would it be a good thing to go ahead and get the dual machine instead of the 867? What are the pros/cons? Please, let me know what you think.</STRONG>
I kind of like the advice 733 or dual. Except, of course, that you can't get a dual for much much longer. They really all seem like good machines though, so it is what your budget can allow IMHO.

I've heard from in store testers that the 867 felt visibly faster than the 733 if that makes any difference in your decision. Either one, though, will feel much faster than your current machine. Another reason to go 867: Superdrive. The Superdrive is not an option on the 733, and if you are planning on keeping this mac for a long long time, having both CDRW and DVD R capabilities would be nice, I'm sure.

Good luck

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2001, 12:35 PM

I kind of like the advice 733 or dual. Except, of course, that you can't get a dual for much much longer. They really all seem like good machines though, so it is what your budget can allow IMHO.
What do you mean you can't get a dual for much longer?? After all Apple's talk of system performance, etc. at MWNY on the dual, they'd not kill it at the top end of the G4 line---what would take its place??

Please clarify.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

malson  (op)
Senior User
Aug 1, 2001, 04:44 PM

I think he's talking about the fact that the 733 would ship almost immediately as opposed to the 5 to 7 weeks for the dual. Let me know if I'm putting words in your mouth

I did a little more figuring on the dual vs. the 867. The dual, configured the same as the 867, would run me about $2900, including tax/shipping. The difference is about $550. Since I'm planning on keeping the machine for a long while, the extra $500 might very well be worth it. Plus, I've always wanted to kick some RC5 butt
--------------
Moo...

Brian McHale
Aug 1, 2001, 05:49 PM

I also keep my computers for many years. I kept my LC II for 4.5 years and am replacing a Performa 6400/200 that is 4.5 years old. I went with the dual 800 specifically because it should keep me happy further down the road. (I figure that if it can keep me happy for even one year longer it's well worth the extra $600; not only do I get an extra year out of it, but then my next computer will be a year newer, and so on...)

When I ordered, the BTO 867s were shipping in 4-6 weeks, the dual 800s in 5-7. If the 867s were shipping right away, I might have been tempted to save the money and get it quicker, but to only save a week or two...

I have been using a dual monitor setup for several years. I bought an upgrade video card for my 6400 and then realized I had an old monochrome monitor that could be hooked to the built-in video. I find it great for everyday use. Anytime you want multiple files open, you can look at both at the same time. I am planning on using my 15" CRT until the next round of LCD price cuts, then I'm getting a flat panel. So I ordered the TwinView.
Brian

<Can't get such a deal>
Aug 2, 2001, 07:46 PM

How on earth is the original poster getting such a deal? I plugged the numbers into the educational store and got 2584$ for his machine, is this in a different country than US?

If you are really getting this price take it.

. (period)

<Strider>
Aug 2, 2001, 10:06 PM

I ordered my G4 config early last week. How long did it take you guys to recive it? Heres my config:

G4 733
128mb of RAM
40GB harddrive
Geforce 3
Etc.

(I know it's not the best, but I'm excited about it anyway)

Thanks for any info I appreciate it.

Strider

<Jenkinsface>
Aug 2, 2001, 10:17 PM

I ordered my new 867 G4 the day they came out and mine still hasn't been sent. I'm starting to wish I just would have ordered a Dell and switched to Windows XP.
Before I ordered the G4 I ordered a Cube from them and it took them two weeks to tell me that it was going to take 6 weeks to ship it to me.
Apple sucks!
The only reason I'm sticking with them is my 22 cinema display.
If it doesn't show up in another week I'm probably going to sell the display on Ebay, cancel my G4 and go for the Dell.

Macintosh
Banned
Aug 2, 2001, 11:41 PM

I would go with the 867 if you want a machine that will last 5-7 years.

<Jay>
Aug 3, 2001, 02:09 AM

If you do decide to switch to the dark side Mr. Jenken, please let me know about your 22' Display :-D Really though, Apple is superior. No questions asked. Accept what is, and move on.

bender
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2001, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Jenkinsface&gt;:
<STRONG>I ordered my new 867 G4 the day they came out and mine still hasn't been sent. I'm starting to wish I just would have ordered a Dell and switched to Windows XP.
Before I ordered the G4 I ordered a Cube from them and it took them two weeks to tell me that it was going to take 6 weeks to ship it to me.
Apple sucks!
The only reason I'm sticking with them is my 22 cinema display.
If it doesn't show up in another week I'm probably going to sell the display on Ebay, cancel my G4 and go for the Dell.</STRONG>
Apple always announces their new machines before they're widely available. But anyone who posts to these forums must think Macs are worth waiting for; otherwise, why so much interest? In a few weeks, you'll be able to get a new 867 G4 overnight from any of the catalog resellers. But if you do buy the (cheaply made and ugly imo) Dell, come back to the MacNN forums in a few months and let us know how you feel about it. Funny, I can't ever recall anyone every saying they love their Dell...

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 3, 2001, 12:04 PM

<STRONG>I think he's talking about the fact that the 733 would ship almost immediately as opposed to the 5 to 7 weeks for the dual. Let me know if I'm putting words in your mouth
</STRONG>
You got it No complaint here. There is something to be said for instant gratification. So, for $1500 less you could have the computer now instead of sometime in September.

Cheers!

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

fritzair
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2001, 04:28 PM

<STRONG>I am going to purchase a brand new 867 QuickSilver. It will be my first new mac since my venerable 8500/150. I do have a few questions though.

First things first, I am looking buy the QuickSilver with the following configuration:
  • Power Mac G4
    867MHz PowerPC G4
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX w/TwinView (64MB SDRAM)
    Combo (DVD/CD-RW)
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Ultra SCSI PCI card & cable adapter
    56K internal modem
    128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
    Accessory kit
    Mac OS - U.S. English
</STRONG>
Excuse me for my late reply. I would do things a little differently.
I would use ethernet for the back up, instead of the SCSI card. Reliability is a concern, but ATA is pretty good. Since you are using this mac for graphics the most important item is a FAST hard drive and lots of ram.
Keep the 40 Gig HD but buy 2 more from some internet source, or Circuit City or CompUSA which have some good deals at times. Get the raid VST card and now you have fast a HD after you set up a array.
You need 512 MB for your machine at current prices, but do not buy it from apple. Go to one of the MacNN merchants.
Keep your system on the original HD and use the two striped HD array as your scratch disk and saved file location. This will rock.

Mike

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 07:08 AM

get the dual if you are planning on keeping this machine for a long time OS is going to be huge I htink in 6 months the dual wiill kick [email protected]# in X you'll like it better in a year or so. but what ever those are just my thoughts And to anyone who would rather buy a dell and get it next day than wait for a new mac. your crazy when you get the new dell then you can complain. have a good day
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

asterizk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2001, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by fritzair:
<STRONG>
You need 512 MB for your machine at current prices, but do not buy it from apple. Go to one of the MacNN merchants.
</STRONG>
I just picked up a 512MB PC133 module from Other World Computing for $67.95. It's going in my new Quicksilver 733!

OWC speaks Mac, have good prices, and are really interested in making sure their customers make informed buying decisions, from what I can tell. I'm a pretty happy camper...

Other World Computing

Krishen

Forum Links
Forum Rules