Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver Question Grab Bag

Quicksilver Question Grab Bag
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2001, 04:05 AM

Much of what I'm about to ask has most likely already been covered, isn't appropriate in this forum area, or sounds naive... take your pick.... but I just needed a few questiones answered before I go to Fry's this weekend.

Comp Info: Just got my Quicksilver G4 733 today!!!!!!

What RAM should I avoid installing in my new QS? Any particular RAM companies that don't work well with these machines?

What's the keyboard command for the power key on the new keyboards? It was mentioned earlier, but I forgot. Sorry. What other keyboard commands are QS specific? (I guess these would be Pro Keyboard Specific since that is when all the changes were made - oh well, same difference)

Any recommendations on a TV tuner card? What model works well? What has good software, runs well on a newer mac, etc. Also, what, if any, of these cards are being supported beyond OS 9.x (I mean, if you own one, and you are aware of an OS X driver being developed for a particular one, I'd appreciate that info)

Thanks in advance for the answers to these simple questions. The MacNN forums have been instrumental in making my transition to my new QS G4 an easy one.

- Jerm
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

smeegs
Aug 10, 2001, 08:07 AM

Congrats on your new purchase.

I'm afraid i can only help you with one of your questions...

You can simulate the power key on the new keyboards with Control and Eject keys held down.
Insert natty text here!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 08:37 AM

Though Crucial.com (Micron RAM) will get you higher-quality RAM, you can't go wrong with www.pcboost.com or www.ccraft.net . They sell 512-megabyte chunks of PC-133 SDRAM for $35. Man. Insane, huh? You can find a similar deal at www.1stchoicememory.com , I think.

Good luck with your Quicksilver!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 09:25 AM

I belive that there was a new videwo captur card that was anounced at MWNY but that's all I know about it.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

kwiersma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 01:29 PM

Can anyone confirm that the CD-RW drives that are shipping with the new Quicksilvers have burn-proof support?

Thanks,

--KW

MorseRJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>
Any recommendations on a TV tuner card? What model works well? What has good software, runs well on a newer mac, etc. Also, what, if any, of these cards are being supported beyond OS 9.x (I mean, if you own one, and you are aware of an OS X driver being developed for a particular one, I'd appreciate that info)
</STRONG>
Most of the current PCI TV Tuner cards don't work well with the new Macs because the CD audio cable has been removed from the new Macs, and that is what was used to get the sound in from the PCI cards (there is supposed to be a work around, but it does not look pretty). However, ATI just released a nice USB option. I just placed an order for one. It looks like It's software has a ton of features. http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...usb/index.html
for more info.

<neutrino23>
Aug 10, 2001, 02:01 PM

The Formac Studio Pro has a TV tuner and connections for video in and out. The TV/video signal can be viewed or stored. If stored it is in DV format. The connection is via Firewire so you can use it on a variety of Macs and it is fast.
It has gotten good reviews. I have one and am satisfied with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules