Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Opinions on PowerMail?

Opinions on PowerMail?
Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 01:36 PM

I've been a long time Eudora user. However, their tardiness of late has me searching for a reliable replacement. I've looked at all the options and boiled it down to PowerMail or Mail. I already am familiar with Mail, so...

What's everyone's opinion about PowerMail? Is it pretty reliable? Should I be concerned with the database format it stores mail in (as opposed to the way Mail and Eudora store it)? Has anyone experienced any major problems with it?

I depend on email for my business and need to make an informed decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2001, 03:07 PM

I like PowerMail myself. A tad on the pricey side, but nothing major.

If you've ever used Claris Emailer (the best e-mail interface to date, and the best e-mail program of its time), then you'll be more or less at home with PM; it was made to be as close to what Emailer had been as possible.

Reliability-wise, I've never had a problem. I'm on the PowerMail-discuss mailing list, and I've heard of other people having problems, but it's been a very long time since anyone has said anything about that, so I believe the problems there have been fixed. As for importing, it can import from Eudora, and I think there might be an AppleScript-based solution for importing from OE (don't quote me on that, though; OE, for all its good points, is lacking in this department).

All told, though, I'd say to go for it. I've been very happy with PM, and I've been using it for a couple of years now.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2001, 05:21 PM

I'd go with Entourage. I saw a screen shot of Eudora for X and a screen shot of Entourage for X and went straight to Entourage.

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 05:53 PM

As I said, I've already eliminated all the alternatives (including & especially Entourage). The only options are Mail & PowerMail (short of sticking with Eudora, should Qualcomm actually get their butts in gear and give us a long overdue update).

davecom
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Hobbes:
<STRONG>As I said, I've already eliminated all the alternatives (including & especially Entourage). The only options are Mail & PowerMail (short of sticking with Eudora, should Qualcomm actually get their butts in gear and give us a long overdue update).</STRONG>
If you're not having problems with Eudora as of yet, don't give up hope. I heard they would have the final version out early next year.

mahoney2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2001, 09:03 PM

Powermail for X and 9 is great. Its very similar to Claris Emailer only its been kept up to date. Its worth the money in my opinion I've never had a problem with it and the X version of it is one of the best carbonized apps I've seen

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2001, 09:29 PM

Powermail is really quite excellent. I've used Mail and Eudora on OS X and Powermail takes the prize, hands down. It really is an example of how good Mac OS X apps can be.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 01:38 AM

Well, thanks for all the input. I ordered my copy. So far, I'm really impressed with it. I always liked Eudora, but let's face it, software isn't Qualcomm's main dish. Which explains why it's been six months since that last update, considering the bugs the last beta still contained. There's really no excuse for that long of a delay, especially when a product is targeted at a market where people relay on the product for mission-critical business. That was one of the deciding factors for PM. CTM has a record of being dedicated to the product, and it's there main focus, not a side-business.

Look forward to learning the in's and out's of PowerMail.

Forum Links
Forum Rules