Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Decent news clients for OSX?

Decent news clients for OSX?
Chris in Madison
Jan 8, 2002, 12:33 PM

Hello all,

Anyone know of any decent news clients for OSX? I've looked at Baker and Thoth, but they seem to be better suited to leeching/downloading than interactive NG usage. Am I going to have to stick with OE/NS for decent newsgroup features?

Best regards,
Chris

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Chris in Madison:
<STRONG>Hello all,

Anyone know of any decent news clients for OSX? I've looked at Baker and Thoth, but they seem to be better suited to leeching/downloading than interactive NG usage. Am I going to have to stick with OE/NS for decent newsgroup features?

Best regards,
Chris</STRONG>
Well, if you have Office X, Entourage is a farily decent news reader. Although I wish Simon Fraser would hurry up and release MT-Newswatcher (even just a beta). Nothing compares to MT-NW and a lot of people are waiting for it.

NewsFlash is an OpenSource Cocoa news reader, but last time I tried it, it had a long way to go.

HTH.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: someone_else ]
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 02:43 PM

6gb Blue iPod Mini

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 02:48 PM

Sorry, another dup post. Stupid IE.

6gb Blue iPod Mini

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 02:51 PM

I'm not sure what your problem is with Thoth. It works about like any other news client I'be ever seen, doesn't crash, has lots of options. ???

memento
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 05:12 PM

Add me to the queue for MT-NW!!

Originally posted by someone_else:
<STRONG>

Well, if you have Office X, Entourage is a farily decent news reader. Although I wish Simon Fraser would hurry up and release MT-Newswatcher (even just a beta). Nothing compares to MT-NW and a lot of people are waiting for it.

NewsFlash is an OpenSource Cocoa news reader, but last time I tried it, it had a long way to go.

HTH.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: someone_else ]</STRONG>
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

foamy
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 05:30 PM

I just use Mozilla. I use it for browsing and it has the best newsreader IMO. The feature I really like is the ability to sort by thread AND date. In OE if you view threaded, then it is sorted by subject which is completely stupid. If you click on date, it breaks the threads. In Mozilla, you can sort the threads by date.

I tried Thoth and I just can't stand it. Nothing about the app seems intuitive and it has little windows everywhere, when you read a message it is gone the next time you come back, plus it is just fugly.

Newsflash has promise, but you can't sort your messages by anything except subject (has this changed), which renders the app useless.

Chris in Madison  (op)
Jan 8, 2002, 05:32 PM

I'm taking a look at it again. When I first looked at it, it seemed pretty daunting. I guess I'm a creature of familiarity having used Outlook Express on Windows for so long. I was looking for a client that acted similarly as I move to OSX as my primary means of computing.

The one thing I haven't found yet in my brief re-evaluation is a feature comparable to OE's "Watch" function where I can set a flag for those articles to which I have replied. Since I spend a lot of time to programming NGs, it's vital that I'm able to quickly look at those that I've provided answers to. Any quick hints?

So far my second pass with the program looks pretty good.

Best regards,
Chris

stevenhaddon
Jan 8, 2002, 05:35 PM

I seriously recommend Entourage X, if you're willing to purchase it. Until I bought that, my newsreader situation was pretty dire.

Newsflash kept crashing and didn't have much in the way of features.

Thoth is dire. The functionality may all be there, but it's one of the most unfriendly user interfaces I've ever come across.

Before Entourage I was forced to use Netscape/Mozilla. If you're looking for something free, that's probably the best you'll find, as far as I'm aware.

Steve

Chris in Madison  (op)
Jan 8, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
<STRONG>I seriously recommend Entourage X,</STRONG>
I was leaning toward Entourage X, actually, but couldn't find any reference to it being a newsreader on MS's web site. Since I'm so entrenched in OE, I would feel more productive if it did so.

I'm still going to try out Thoth a little bit further to see if I can make it work for me, but I think I might be barking up an annoying tree. We'll see I suppose.

Thanks for the input.

Best regards,
Chris

stevenhaddon
Jan 8, 2002, 07:15 PM

I used OE in 9; moving to Entourage for email/news is a smooth step. I love the program, and would seriously recommend it. It does everything I need in those two fields, and has a calendar as well.

Steve

Chris in Madison  (op)
Jan 8, 2002, 11:46 PM

<STRONG>I used OE in 9; moving to Entourage for email/news is a smooth step. I love the program, and would seriously recommend it. It does everything I need in those two fields, and has a calendar as well.

Steve</STRONG>
MS has a 30-day trial thing going, so I gave it a shot. It works nicely, but the one thing about it that annoys me is that you can't sort by date when you have it set to "View By Thread." It defaults to 'sort by title' which throws off the whole date thing, which is bad news for a guy like me who totally relies on dates AND threads to monitor discussion topics. Dangit. Otherwise, it's really nice. I don't understand why there can't be continuity in features across platforms with these guys...

Thoth pissed me off. Non-intuitive interface, can't watch threads...

Somebody's going to get it right at some point. I _so_ want to move over to my Mac for this...

Best regards,
Chris

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 03:11 PM

I seriously recommend Entourage X, if you're willing to purchase it. Until I bought that, my newsreader situation was pretty dire.

Newsflash kept crashing and didn't have much in the way of features.

Thoth is dire. The functionality may all be there, but it's one of the most unfriendly user interfaces I've ever come across.

Before Entourage I was forced to use Netscape/Mozilla. If you're looking for something free, that's probably the best you'll find, as far as I'm aware.

Steve
I just recently used Entourage soley for newsgroups use. I found that the messages aren't indented like outlook express on windows. It was hard for me to keep track of messages as far as who replied and to what topic/message. Is there a setting anywhere? I couldn't find it.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Chris in Madison:
Hello all,

Best regards,
Chris
I personnaly use MacSoup. It does news and just the news. It's not geared towards leeching but more in the spirt of exchanging messages. It's a shareware but it's not crippled (at least I never saw the cripple and used it for a long time before registering it).

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 04:24 AM

Halime is the best newsreader I've found for X. Don't judge it by the ropey icon !

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 04:48 AM

Thunderbird, the Mozilla mail and news standalone client is what I used for a while, and it works pretty well. (I was dumb enough to use my real e-mail address and have been severe spamitis ever since).
weird wabbit

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Halime is the best newsreader I've found for X. Don't judge it by the ropey icon !
... But it's a real pity that it seems to have been discontinued. Maybe it will revive as an open source project (see the author's website)...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 12:03 PM

Err... MT-Newswatcher has been out for Mac OS X for a very, very long time actually. You can download it here:

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/downloading.html

It works quite nicely, as it always has.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:35 PM

I use Thoth, it's great...

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Heh, the icon is cool

-

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 07:21 PM

Oh, and my experiences with Thoth are that it *does* crash, that it has the worst user interface I've seen for years on a Mac (both, the look and the handling), and - what most users might not get aware of soon - that it leaks memory like a broken dam.
No thanks.

-

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 07:47 PM

Has nobody actually recommended pan yet?

Blasphemy!

Pan is a very very fine GTK2 newsreader. Requires X11 and either fink or darwinports to install (unless you're willing to go through the work yourself), and a bit more work to make it extra pretty, but it most certianly pays off in being one of the most awesome newsreaders ever:

If anybody wants a nice guide on setting up GTK2 with a good theme and fontset, ask me, and I'll be glad to post it (I've already posted it on other boards).
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
Has nobody actually recommended pan yet?

Blasphemy!

Pan is a very very fine GTK2 newsreader. Requires X11 and either fink or darwinports to install (unless you're willing to go through the work yourself), and a bit more work to make it extra pretty, but it most certianly pays off in being one of the most awesome newsreaders ever:

If anybody wants a nice guide on setting up GTK2 with a good theme and fontset, ask me, and I'll be glad to post it (I've already posted it on other boards).
Please do. the default look of X11 is nasty.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Lordx_:
Please do. the default look of X11 is nasty.
here you go
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Forum Links
Forum Rules