Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Macromedia ColdFusion MX for OSX???

Macromedia ColdFusion MX for OSX???
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2002, 10:21 PM

Ummm, MacNN said, and I quote

"Macromedia also announced Macromedia Studio MX, which includes Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, Fireworks MX, FreeHand 10, and a developer edition of Macromedia ColdFusion MX. Introductory pricing for the bundle is $800. "

Is this new? I'm talking about the ColdFusion developer edition. So if you are like me and are forced to work with ColdFusion servers, I can help out now?

snerdini
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 10:42 PM

i believe as it stands right now, coldfusion mx is windows only. but for all but the hard-core cf programmer, dreamweaver mx should be fine...

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 11:48 AM

ColdFusion MX is/was supposed to run on top of any J2EE environment. This includes OS X, but I think it requires another app server to run alongside. Not exactly sure what this entails..

kwiersma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2002, 03:36 PM

ColdFusion for OS X would be great. Even if they just made an unsupported single machine developer version available I would be thrilled. I could finally just leave my PC in the corner to be a faceless server. I could probably do that now but with CF developer copy I have now I can only reach ColdFusion through localhost so I have to be actually on the PC to test code changes.

I am impressed with Dreamweaver MX. Finally there is HTML code completion through drop down menus as you type in the Mac plateform. I never heard of any other HTML editor including BBEdit that do this.

--Kurt

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2002, 03:54 PM

Code completion is a great feature, I've been wondering for ages if BBEdit would add it but it's never arrived. I also like the feature in HomeSite where you can collapse and expand a piece of code into a kind of button to make looking at complex HTMl and functions easier, is this in DreamweaverMX too?

On the Coldfusion side of things, I have to say that as a development environment I don't really like CF (I'm a PHP man) but with Mac OS X being a Unix based OS with full Java support, there's really no reason why Macromedia shouldn't try to support it.

To be honest, any new technology coming to the platform is a good thing and even though Macromedia are a bit self-interested, they're one of only a few big players that are still finding new, interesting and innovative ways of improving their software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules