Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 6)
Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 05:50 AM

36 is available

me
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 06:25 AM

does 36 seem less snappy to anyone else?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2002, 10:21 AM

www.telefonbuch.de is working again in sp36. Thank you!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 10:50 AM

Omni folks,

Assuming your 401k is now diversified, you may want to plan how to spend some of that "filthy lucre" on say a BMW http://www.bmwusa.com/. You'll need to fix Omniweb first, unless you want to use IE;(

BTW I'm using the OS X beta of Shockwave Flash NP-PPC v6.0 d307 (Jan 25, 2002 6:40am)

asxless in iLand

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by spauldingg:
<STRONG>how to add omniweb to pref panel permanently.

here

I assume you could just delete the IE part to get rid of it entirely, but someone with more terminal experience than I should know more.

edited for weird link strangenesshere

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: spauldingg ]</STRONG>
I just changed the file and added OmniWeb. I even got rid of any mention of IE in the .plist, but after rebooting, IE is still available in the toggle menu under the Internet (Web) Pref panel! And even worse, it reverts to IE after every reboot. I assume this means that IE is "hard coded" after all?

"Psssst..."

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 01:37 PM

As a follow-up, I deleted the option for "Outlook Express" within the HelperApps.plist, and now it doesn't show up at all under the toggle menu to set your default mail program. Too bad this solution doesn't work for removing IE from the default list.

I know...I should delete it, but I want to keep it around since there is the rare occasion when I have to pull out another browser when I'm having trouble with a web page.

And now we will return to our program already in progress...

"Psssst..."

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by The Evener:
<STRONG>

I just changed the file and added OmniWeb. I even got rid of any mention of IE in the .plist, but after rebooting, IE is still available in the toggle menu under the Internet (Web) Pref panel! And even worse, it reverts to IE after every reboot. I assume this means that IE is "hard coded" after all?</STRONG>
Take a look at page 5 of this thread. It does work.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2002, 03:17 PM

Gregory,

Thanks for the heads-up. It indeed does work, but for some reason I had to perform a shut-down/restart for the new settings to appear. I had restarted immediately after modifying the file, but IE was still hanging around for some reason.

For those of you without PropertyListEditor (like myself) I found a workaround, although it is a bit cumbersome.

First, download PrefEditor:
http://www.bresink.de/osx/PrefEdit.html

Next, navigate to the offending file

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Internet.prefPane

You'll have to hold 'control' and click on the pref to get the contextual menu "Show Package Contents"

Now go Contents/Resources/English.lproj/DefaultHelperApps.plist

Drag "Default..." to the Desktop. A copy will be made rather than moving the actual file.

To make things a little easier, navigate to your home folder, followed by Library/Preferences, and put the "Default...plist" there. Now launch Pref Edit.

PrefEdit reads all the files in your preference folder, so just navigate until you see it in its column view. Follow this path once you find it

DefaultHelperApps.plist/web/0/DisplayName/Internet Explorer

Just replace IE with OmniWeb in the text entry box located on the bottom.

Below DisplayName, you will see Info/BundleIdentifier/com.microsoft.explorer

Replace with com.omnigroup.omniweb

Now quit the app, and the changes will be saved.

To get the modified .plist back in its place, first move it to the Desktop, and then launch Terminal, and type

cd /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Internet.prefPane/Contents/Resources/English.lproj

Let's make a backup of the .plist, so type

sudo cp DefaultHelperApps.plist DefaultHelperBackup

When prompted, enter your admin password. You'll be greeted by the command prompt again. Now type

sudo mv /Users/NAME/Desktop/DefaultHelperApps.plist DefaultHelperApps.plist

Enter your admin password again. This will move the file from the desktop and copy it to where it should go. Now restart, and you should be in business.

Sorry for the rather convoluted solution, but I thought I would share it in case others didn't have PropertyListEditor

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: The Evener ]

"Psssst..."

Macanoid
Senior User
Feb 1, 2002, 04:35 PM

Everyone using Omniweb should have a look at this:
http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/vince/index.html

Vince is an application that allows the user to choose which applications are set as helpers for internet protocols (i.e. which application will be chosen to handle which URL)

Use it once to set your browser preference to Omniweb, and IE won't ever 'accidentally' start up again

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2002, 09:07 PM

Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by the way OmniWeb cascades windows.

Example: Say I open four new windows and close window #2 (the second created). If I spawn more new windows, they appear in spots 5, 6, 7 and so on. Spot #2 never gets filled. Well, it does eventually, but not until the cascading runs out of room and begins placing new windows over my old ones.

It frustrates me to have all that "open space" if I close a bunch of the windows I spawned early on in a browsing session.

Perhaps there is a setting that controls this, but I haven't found it.

davidb224
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by me:
<STRONG>does 36 seem less snappy to anyone else?</STRONG>
I downloaded sp36 after reading your post (quoted here) and I was therefor expecting that it might be slower. However, as soon as I started using sp36 I realized that either you have a problem with your system or you were just joking, cuz its clear to me that sp36 is NOT slower, its faster than ever...

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]
davidb

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by davidb224:
<STRONG>I downloaded sp36 after reading your post (quoted here) and I was therefor expecting that it might be slower. However, as soon as I started using sp36 I realized that either you have a problem with your system or you were just joking, cuz its clear to me that sp36 is NOT slower, its faster than ever...
</STRONG>
I also love the new way it displays updated bookmarks

davidb224
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
<STRONG>Everyone using Omniweb should have a look at this:
http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/vince/index.html

Vince is an application that allows the user to choose which applications are set as helpers for internet protocols (i.e. which application will be chosen to handle which URL)</STRONG>
I followed your advice and downloaded and tried Vince. Its SOOOOO much easier to designate Omniweb as the default helper app using Vince than all those unix tricks with PropertyEditor or what ever. Using Vince really was easy and it works.

Thanks for the nice tip...

davidb

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2002, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by the way OmniWeb cascades windows.</STRONG>
If you "Save Window settings" or something like that, every new window will open in the same position - at least, it does for me.

Of course, if you prefer cascading (I don't), then your gripe should probably be fixed.

-chris.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2002, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by davidb224:
<STRONG>

I downloaded sp36 after reading your post (quoted here) and I was therefor expecting that it might be slower. However, as soon as I started using sp36 I realized that either you have a problem with your system or you were just joking, cuz its clear to me that sp36 is NOT slower, its faster than ever...

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]</STRONG>
The technical word for the phenomenon you are experiencing is "Snappier"

About cascading, I do get annoyed that the windows only "cascade" horizontally, not also vertically. The problem is that in order to move back and forth I have to move the mouse clear across the screen. I've always preffered to have them cascade with a slight vertical change so I can change all my windows in the top right corner of the screen.

Or we could have tabbed browsing

:: ducks for cover ::
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Hudson
Feb 2, 2002, 07:25 AM

New windows open both down and to the right for me. I like it as is.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2002, 08:59 AM

I have one problem with the OmniWeb shortcuts, but I am not sure if that could be fixed:

When I do a Google search, for example like this:

google Barbara Sch�neberger

This gets expanded to
http://www.google.com/search?q=Barbara Sch�neberger

in the URL, but I can see in Google's search field that it actually searched for 'Barbara�Schöneberger' and obviously doesn't find anything. If I correct the text in the search field, I can see that it gets expanded to
http://www.google.com/search?q=Barbara+Sch%F6neberger

in the URL.

Is there a way to fix this?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

stevenhaddon
Feb 2, 2002, 09:14 AM

Would anyone be an absolute darling and post sp36 on an iDisk or similar? I'm downloading here at 82 bytes a second...

Cheers

Steve

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2002, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by the way OmniWeb cascades windows.

Perhaps there is a setting that controls this, but I haven't found it.</STRONG>
Scott Maier had this tip [posted on page 4 or 5]
To turn off window cascading do the following:

Type or paste the following into the Terminal.app command line, then hit return. To undo it, should you want to do so, it's the same thing, but with a '0' replacing the one.

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb OAWindowCascadeDisabled 1

We will soon be adding a preference that will be accessible through the preferences dialog to turn this on and off. With cascading disabled, all your windows should open up in the same spot. You can set the default size & position of your windows by choosing "Save Window Size" from the browser menu.
If you have a 4-button mouse, you can have them all same size/position and just cycle through windows with click of button or click+drag windows back etc. Use the dock to get a pop-up list of open windows also.

I would like to see an easy set of terminal command settings (aka those Eudora settings some of us had to learn to use).

"OS X Unleased" is 1500 pages packed with nitty-gritty info and commands that goes beyond the other books out there so far on the workings of OS X 10.1.2.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2002, 10:36 AM

MacFixit Pro - prompt on cookies - keep on quit.
But every time I go to the site, I have to login again.

IE works fine.

OmniWeb 4.1sp36

zengravy
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 12:43 PM

Could someone else verify this consistent eBay crasher in sp36:

1) Go to www.ebay.com
2) Click on browse
3) Click on "Baby Items" - under the "Home & Garden" Category
4) Click on "Other Baby Items" in the category box on the left
5) Clicking on any auction on the auction list results in a crash

I can reproduce this consistently on my machine (Dual 500 G4, 1.5GB, 80GB)

Sending feedback to Omni...

zen
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by zengravy:
<STRONG>Could someone else verify this consistent eBay crasher in sp36:

1) Go to www.ebay.com
2) Click on browse
5) Clicking on any auction on the auction list results in a crash

I can reproduce this consistently on my machine (Dual 500 G4, 1.5GB, 80GB)

Sending feedback to Omni...

zen</STRONG>
no problemo hero

zengravy
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 12:56 PM

Bizarre! sp36 crashes on me EVERY time! I wonder what variable I am missing here...

Anyone else?

zen
--

zengravy
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 01:44 PM

Oops... It seems I missed a step. Would someone try this and see if they get a crash:

1) Go to www.ebay.com
2) Click on browse
5) Click on "ending today" to sort the list
6) Clicking on any auction on the auction list results in a crash

I've been working with this for the past hour or so. I deleted my preferences and bookmarks and started up OW. No crash. If I reset my preferences and import my bookmarks again, though, the crashes begin again... Odd.
--

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by zengravy:
<STRONG>Oops... It seems I missed a step. Would someone try this and see if they get a crash:

1) Go to www.ebay.com
2) Click on browse
5) Click on "ending today" to sort the list
6) Clicking on any auction on the auction list results in a crash

I've been working with this for the past hour or so. I deleted my preferences and bookmarks and started up OW. No crash. If I reset my preferences and import my bookmarks again, though, the crashes begin again... Odd.</STRONG>
No crash here...

Crunch Something

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2002, 02:26 PM

try deleting (put it on the desktop or something like that) OmniWeb prefs and Application Support/OmniWeb folder. import bookmarks later. hope that will help your problem

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2002, 04:08 PM

Something sensible ---
Even if a browser can not render a page, it shouldn't cause a crash as often as OmniWeb does. I realize that these are pre-alphas, but even in OmniWeb 4.0.6 it seems to me that not being able to render a page should be simply that - not being able to render a page - rather than a source of crashes. The same holds true for IE, Netscape etc., but I find it happening much more often in OmniWeb.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2002, 11:50 PM

Wow, OmniWeb 4.1 already has been discussed more than 10 years ago!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 02:16 AM

I can't drag pictures to the desktop or to a folder anymore in sp36, I really need this...

It used to work in sp32, it works in IE but not in mozilla ( it creates a link to the picture which is useless ). Omniweb is my main browser now, I have registered a week ago. The dutch localization still needs some work ..

davidb224
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2002, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
<STRONG>I can't drag pictures to the desktop or to a folder anymore in sp36, I really need this...</STRONG>
I have sp36 and dragging pictures to the desktop works for me. I just tried it again before I wrote this post.

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: davidb224 ]
davidb

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
<STRONG>I can't drag pictures to the desktop or to a folder anymore in sp36, I really need this...</STRONG>
The drag-n-drop capability seems to disappear after a while. I'm not sure what triggers its loss but it affects more than just OmniWeb. I find that logging out and back in restores it. Hopefully someone will post a less teadious way to restore drag-n-drop.

asxless in iLand

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2002, 06:01 AM

Yes, you are right! I couldn't drag to the Finder either, but relaunching it fixed it. So I guess it's not OmniWeb's fault.

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>Yes, you are right! I couldn't drag to the Finder either...</STRONG>
FWIW I _believe_ the loss of drag-n-drop is just one more example of the OS X Finder's many shortcomings. IMHO the OS X Finder is THE weakest link in OS X 10.1.2. I'd like more speed and could use a few more native apps, etc. but a significantly improved Finder is the top of my list for OS X 10.1.2+.
The OS X Finder is just plain crippled compared to the OS 9 Finder.

asxless in iLand

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2002, 07:21 AM

Rick et al,

I noticed when using OmniWeb Service that the shortcut isn't available under Mail.app. Looking a little closer, I discovered Mail reserves that key combination (Apple/Command-Shift U) for "Undelete". Have you considered using a different key combo? I realize such a task is pretty much a losing battle because there will always be one app or another that might reserve the key combo for its own use. Just curious...

PS: I realize most hyperlinks work in Mail without the Service, but sometimes I receive the odd post where the sender doesn't include "http:"...

"Psssst..."

Rickster
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 10:16 AM

I noticed when using OmniWeb Service that the shortcut isn't available under Mail.app. Looking a little closer, I discovered Mail reserves that key combination (Apple/Command-Shift U) for "Undelete". Have you considered using a different key combo? I realize such a task is pretty much a losing battle because there will always be one app or another that might reserve the key combo for its own use. Just curious...
We've been considering it, but haven't yet come to a decision.

Even if a browser can not render a page, it shouldn't cause a crash as often as OmniWeb does... The same holds true for IE, Netscape etc.
Any time a program creates or destroys data, or moves it around, or calls a system API, or pretty much anything, it's possible to crash if the situation is not one the developer expected. A program like Photoshop or Office has it pretty easy; they've got a lot of complex code, but there isn't a huge number of states it can be in, so there aren't a lot of different ways in which things can not go as expected. A web browser, on the other hand, is one of the most complex applications one could fashion; it has to "correctly" interpret thousands of people's arbitrarily hand-messed-up HTML and CSS code, execute JavaScript (which isn't just handwritten/hand-messed-up, it's lacking clear standards), interface with completely different execution environments for Java and Netscape-plugin code, talk to flaky servers over unreliable network connections, and do lots of other stuff. It's nearly impossible for the developers of a web browser to test every situation their code can get into, so it's easier for a web browser to get into a situation where it's trying to address data that doesn't exist or divide by zero or some such.

However, if I "import" my bookmarks back into sp36, the crashes resume.
Could you send us your bookmarks file? We have a number of reports of bookmarks-file-related crashers, but we haven't been able to replicate them here.

About cascading, I do get annoyed that the windows only "cascade" horizontally, not also vertically.
If there's not enough room for the windows to cascade diagonally, they'll cascade horizontally. If there's not enough room to cascade in either direction, they'll appear right on top of each other.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2002, 12:28 PM

Rick,

Here's an interface element I'd like to see. In the dock menu for Omniweb, it'd be great to have a "Mark all as Read" to remove the URL indication notice. This would be useful for the times you really don't want to access the site...

Ybot
Feb 3, 2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by ls -al:
<STRONG>Rick,

Here's an interface element I'd like to see. In the dock menu for Omniweb, it'd be great to have a "Mark all as Read" to remove the URL indication notice. This would be useful for the times you really don't want to access the site...</STRONG>
I'd like to second that request. a "Mark all as Read" option would be quite handy!!!!

-Y

Ken at Omni
Feb 3, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
<STRONG>I realize that these are pre-alphas, but even in OmniWeb 4.0.6 it seems to me that not being able to render a page should be simply that - not being able to render a page - rather than a source of crashes.</STRONG>
Absolutely! As the lead developer on OmniWeb I consider any crashes unacceptable, and I think we did fairly well on that front for OmniWeb 4.0 when it shipped. I'm currently working to eliminate all known crashes in 4.1, so keep those crash reports coming: they're invaluable!

(Unfortunately, while OmniWeb 4.0 was incredibly stable on Mac OS X 10.0.4 we found that when Apple upgraded the operating system to 10.1 it broke some of our code which was relying on API which changed between releases--for example, the public API Java libraries we were using were simply removed out from under us--and obviously this caused instability which we were unable to anticipate back when we wrote 4.0. We patched some of these for 4.0.6, but as we wanted to maintain compatibility with 10.0 we weren't able to fix them all.)

What Rick said about a web browser being incredibly complex and thus very difficult to test is certainly true, but there are two mechanisms we use to combat this problem.

The first is to write everything in a clean, object-oriented manner, using liberal debugging assertions to check our assumptions along the way. This allows us to control our assumptions at the level of each object--so while the overall state of the browser may be incredibly complex, if we write our objects well it's fairly easy to know all of the states that a particular object could possibly enter and to prevent it from crashing in any of those states. With care and good coding practice I think it's always possible to keep your own code from crashing. (However, all bets are off when you have to call someone else's code, which is a huge problem for us. More on that in a minute.)

When the technique of crash prevention fails and we actually do crash, the fallback method we have for preventing crashes is to catch every one that does happen and generate a detailed report of what every thread in our application was doing when it crashed so we can prevent it from crashing in that way again. This is why we developed our built-in crash reporter (which we've had for years), and every report that we've ever received helps us to fix any crashes in OmniWeb (or OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, Giants, Oni, etc.) which we somehow didn't prevent in the first place.

Unfortunately, what I'm finding lately in analyzing the current OmniWeb crash reports is that while there are certainly some crashes that are in our code (especially in post-beta 4.1 sneaky peek releases), the vast majority of the crash reports we're receiving are for crashes which are in code we didn't write, code over which we have no control. For example, the most commonly reported crash right now is one which happens when leaving Apple's home page, when we tell the QuickTime plug-in to stop displaying the iMac movie: unfortunately, there's a bug in QuickTime which frequently causes it to crash when we do this. (We're sending the exact same sequence of commands as IE sends, but we're a Cocoa application and they're Carbon, and perhaps that triggers a slightly different and less tested code path in QuickTime.)

We are, of course, working with the authors of the code that crashed to help them track down and fix the crashes in their code, but unfortunately we have no control over when they may release their fixed code. However, once we know exactly what triggers a crash in someone else's code we can usually find a way to prevent it (for example, we could simply refuse to send any problematic movies to QuickTime rather than crashing it).

In summary, I agree: even one OmniWeb crash is one crash too many, and our goal is to prevent every crash. We're not there yet, unfortunately, but we'll keep working on it. If you'd like to help us, please keep sending in those crash reports, and if you find some activity or circumstance that repeatedly crashes OmniWeb please tell us as much detail as you can figure out so we can try to track down the problem.

(And to that end: if anyone has a set of bookmarks which reliably crash OmniWeb and would feel comfortable sending them to me at [email protected] with a subject line like "URGENT: These bookmarks crash OmniWeb", I'll do my best to track down that crash and fix it in the next sneaky peek release.)

Thanks, everyone, for your valuable feedback here on these forums!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2002, 06:52 PM

This might seem like an odd request, but would it be at all feasible to include an option to open new windows actually within the Dock?

I recently started browsing by having all windows open full screen (to utilise all my iMac's screen real estate) and then cycling them between maximised on screen and minimised in the Dock. The only clumsy part of this method is that any new windows I open (in front) have to be minimised before I can carry on reading what was in the original window. I'm only on a 56k modem, so having the newly opened windows in the Dock is better for me than having them open behind the on screen front window as it only requires a quick mouseover to find out if they have finished loading or not.

Cheers.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
<STRONG>This might seem like an odd request, but would it be at all feasible to include an option to open new windows actually within the Dock?

I recently started browsing by having all windows open full screen (to utilise all my iMac's screen real estate) and then cycling them between maximised on screen and minimised in the Dock. The only clumsy part of this method is that any new windows I open (in front) have to be minimised before I can carry on reading what was in the original window. I'm only on a 56k modem, so having the newly opened windows in the Dock is better for me than having them open behind the on screen front window as it only requires a quick mouseover to find out if they have finished loading or not.

Cheers.</STRONG>
I also asked for this feature some time ago.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
<STRONG>

I also asked for this feature some time ago.</STRONG>
Hehehe, I guess it isn't an easy thing to do then...

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 10:57 PM

While this thread is on the topic of alternate methods for opening browser windows... I'd like to be able to optionally create a new browser window when selecting a bookmark from the menu (e.g. control+click on the bookmark in the menu).

asxless in iLand

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2002, 01:06 AM

What I want to know, is why rendering tables takes forever and a minute. I would love OW 4.1 if only it could render tables as quickly as IE (which isn't the fastest browser in the world). Have you ever tried browsing Versiontracker or Slashdot? Even on small tables, OW is a dog. (IE is a dog on huge Slashdot threads too, but still better than OW, and very usable on normal sized tables.)

So what is going on with the table engine? This has been a problem since OW 3. Anyone from Omni care to comment?

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: someone_else ]
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 01:37 AM

THE Question...

When might we see 4.1 final? - I'm sure you said something about MWSF, next year perhaps?

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2002, 04:40 AM

A brilliant suggestion was made earlier : "Tabbed Windows". This i a wonderfully logical idea for those of use who browse with multi windows running.

Anyone who has used or seen the way "Tabbed Windows" works in FCP will understand and appreciate this marvel. The tab should be linked to the address bar and also the tool bar since these functions would belong to that front tab. Clicking another tab would bring another page and its linked address/tool bar to the front. If the user needs to view 2 pages side by side they simply grab one of the tabs an drag it out of the window until it opens up as its own detached window. When done you simple grab the tab of the detached window an drop it back into the original window an boom you have your original window setup.

Final Cut Pro works like this and it truely is one of the best ways of working with multi windows when you dont have a quad monitor display system.

I applaude any browser that adds this functionality and also the person who suggested it here.

Targon

HAbaRI
Feb 4, 2002, 04:53 AM

@ Rick and Ken:

i don't know if this has been answered before:

why does omniweb open windows relative to the window last opened, and not relative to the last STILL OPEN window? (i.e: when i open one window, then a second and after that close the second one again, my next window doesn't open in the place of the second window but in the place where the third window would have opened. ... phew! ... you may already have noticed that i'm not a native speaker :-)

i know that there are more important problems with omniweb, but that behavior is really annoying. i spend most of my time with OmniWeb repositioning windows that are popping up in unexpected places.

second (and not so important):

will you be adding a way to turn off these frames that appear when you click on a link? they destroy the design of the webpages you're navigating. they are there i IE too, but can be turned off in the options.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: HAbaRI ]
It's a sig. What did you expect?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2002, 08:02 AM

I was just trying to look at This PNG image in OW (sp 36) but it fails.

It appears to work fine in IE and Quicktime Player. Of course maybe it's the fault of the image.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
<STRONG>THE Question...

When might we see 4.1 final? - I'm sure you said something about MWSF, next year perhaps? </STRONG>
Why would you ask that? OmniWeb is a great browser now, and we have new releases a few times a week, some improving by leaps and bounds. The only thing that sets 4.1 Final apart from these weekly releases is the name Final. By you asking all you're doing is pestering the developers.

I suppose that the build OmniGroup finally decides to slap the "Final" tag on will probably be of "Final" quality, and for that I could see wanting to know when it's due, but geez, I think we should leave the developers alone and just give as much positive feedback and support as possible.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
<STRONG>

If there's not enough room for the windows to cascade diagonally, they'll cascade horizontally. If there's not enough room to cascade in either direction, they'll appear right on top of each other.</STRONG>
Ken,

I know this is not the best place for feature requests (did you notice how someone picked up the tabbed browsing topic? heheh ) but is there a way to have the windows cascade diagonally regardless of how much room there is on the bottom? New windows would simply be a bit smaller (up to a point). The reason is that otherwise, the only way to have windows cascade diagonally is not to have them take the full length of the monitor vertically. This would be a great feature/option at least for me and make switching between windows much more manageable until tabbed windows come up in version 5 (?).

Also, I hope that 4.1 takes a long time in coming or we'll stop getting SPs and have to contend with one build for months. This way I always have a new browser, which just feels gooooood.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 11:52 AM

It'd be nice if we could select data through multiple cells in a table..

that way I could play Utopia properly... now that I was elected King

/me looks arround..

oh.. that's not a feature request thread... sorry

Forum Links
Forum Rules