Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IE 5.1 unexpectedly quits - OSX

IE 5.1 unexpectedly quits - OSX
kte2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2002, 04:21 PM

We have users complaining that IE 5.1 unexpectedly quits when they try to access one of our sites - the default page is a redirection page that uses javascript. This problem only occurs on a Mac platform, with OSX and IE5.1
Has anyone experienced this problem? Has anyone found a fix?

kte2211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2002, 04:52 PM

I had someone try the url again after upgrading to IE5.2 and the problem persisted - IE suddenly quit before even displaying the home page.
Any type of feedback/input appreciated. Thanks!

Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2002, 07:56 PM

Ya, Internet Exploder does that. It is unstable. It crashes several times a day on me...

Not really much that you can do about it... not that I know of at least.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2002, 10:51 PM

Post the url that isn't working.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2002, 11:44 PM

Upgrade to 5.2

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2002, 11:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<strong>Upgrade to 5.2</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I have 5.2.1 on both my Cube and TiBook and IE hangs about 3 times/day on each system. I use "Force Quit" all of the time on it when it just starts spinning and grabbing as much of the CPU as possible.

Damn IE. It has potential. Really.
Meh

kte2211  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2002, 10:31 AM

Here's the URL that's causing problems:
wwww.gorancho.com
Had someone try it on an IMac (running OSX and IE5.1) and that seemed to work - picked up the redirection to the Flash intro and all.
Had someone else try it from their G4 and it crashed in IE but On Netscape 6.2.2 under OSX it works fine.
Other sites hosted on the same server but not using a redirection page work just fine....
Thank you for the suggestion to upgrade to 5.2 - tried that yesterday (G4, OSX.1.5) and it still killed the browser.
Is there anything we can do beside replace the redirection page with a static page that lets the user choose between Flash and HTML??? (our user really wanted the intro to be automatically displayed either way).

<small>[ 07-18-2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: kte2211 ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules