Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why does the Eject button not Eject?

Why does the Eject button not Eject?
stevenhaddon
Mar 18, 2002, 05:06 AM

Let's pretend I haven't been using Macs for ten years. I insert a CD, listen to music or play a game, then press the eject button on the front of my G4 - the intuitive place to press to eject a CD.

Nothing happens.

No dialog box telling me what I did wrong, nothing. The CD just stays in there.

That's not good at all. But I don't hear anyone saying that this is something that has to be fixed.

Steve

Subzero Diesel949
Mar 18, 2002, 05:22 AM

What if you pressed the eject button while the CD was playing? Or if you were burning something?

That would not be a good thing for the CD to suddenly eject...

sadie
Senior User
Mar 18, 2002, 06:13 AM

He's not saying it should do a hard eject, but that it should filter through to the software in the same way the Eject button on the keyboard or the toolbar does - so it can display whatever warnings are necessary.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
<STRONG>Let's pretend I haven't been using Macs for ten years. I insert a CD, listen to music or play a game, then press the eject button on the front of my G4 - the intuitive place to press to eject a CD.

Nothing happens.

No dialog box telling me what I did wrong, nothing. The CD just stays in there.

That's not good at all. But I don't hear anyone saying that this is something that has to be fixed.

Steve</STRONG>
Maybe that's why there is no eject button on newer Macs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2002, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
<STRONG>

Maybe that's why there is no eject button on newer Macs.</STRONG>
Ah, so that's why they did that.

Sadie's suggestion makes so much more sense, though...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2002, 07:59 AM

I have four eject buttons on my Ti (F12, apple/E, the button-icon on iTunes, and the old trash-drag) and I am constantly amazed at how many I try before one works.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2002, 04:46 PM

dont forget the eject icon for the tool bar
John

zigmeister
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>I have four eject buttons on my Ti (F12, apple/E, the button-icon on iTunes, and the old trash-drag) and I am constantly amazed at how many I try before one works.</STRONG>
Same thing on the Quicksilver, amazing how a cool feature really backfires. It's ridiculous to have to restart a computer sometimes just so it can spit out a CD. Lemme control my stuff!
Master of Zigs

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2002, 07:11 PM

yeah, this happens to me all the time. I have a Dual 450. It's stupid that I can eject it from the drive itself. The drive itself should override everything...oh well

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 07:23 PM

I get the same problem, i have to do it manuly eject it by bringing it down to the trash, its justa bug. happenes to me after i watched a DVD and quit DVD player, and hit eject ti would just stay. its just a bug where the OS thinks it is still in use i bet. hope this helps.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>I have four eject buttons on my Ti (F12, apple/E, the button-icon on iTunes, and the old trash-drag) and I am constantly amazed at how many I try before one works.</STRONG>
Ooops.... I forgot about five of them... I actually have NINE eject buttons!!! (I forgot the toolbar icon, the DVD button, and the menu items in iTunes, DVDplayer and in the finder.) This is getting ridiculous!!! I'd trade all of them in for one that worked every time!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2002, 02:56 AM

The hardware CD eject button nearly never works on my 8600, so it isn't like this is a new phenomenon. Just drag the CD to the trash.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stevenhaddon  (op)
Mar 19, 2002, 04:43 AM

This is a worryingly unintuitive approach to a fundamental function for a computer, don't you think? If the Mac is to sell itself as "easy to use", it doesn't help when someone has to turn to you and say, "How do I get the CD out?" (My girlfriend said this very thing.)

Never mind the user interface on-screen, the physical, exterior user interface also adds to the user experience - and the use of a button, near where you put the CD in, to eject it is deeply ingrained. After 10 years of Mac use and I still reach down there...then realise it won't work.

This really needs to be sorted, in my opinion.

Steve

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 05:04 AM

Indeed! I agree exactly with what sadie said: there should be a physical button that you can press, and acts as a software eject. I've always thought that the software eject on Macs was better than the hardware on PCs (which give you a big blue-screen-of-death type error when you eject a disk while it's in use, and tends to be generally annoying).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules