Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Terminal Font/Display Oddity

Terminal Font/Display Oddity
bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 09:06 AM

Ever since upgrading to 10.1 I have noticed some very odd displays in the Terminal. For one thing no matter what font I choose for display it always looks like crap - not very clear or easy to read. Though the biggest problem (and I suspect it is related) is the way the cursor works. I will type a line in the terminal and it always appears the cursor is out fo sync with the display - always looks like it is one or two chars behind the display. Gets really bad for example if you start backspacing. All of the sudden chars you supposedly just backspaced over start showing up on the right hand side of the cursor, and you get completely lost as to where the cursor actually is. I end up mistyping line in the terminal all the time because of this. I have found that the only way to successfully edit a prev type line of text is to start all over - what a pain.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or maybe some tips on a good font/display setting for the terminal?

strepidus
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 07:36 PM

I think John Siracusa noted the same problem in his extensive review of OS 10.1 at Ars Technica. He actually downgraded his Terminal application to the one that came with 10.0.

bluehz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 07:40 PM

strepidus - thnx for the reply. I have posted this all over and no one has ever answered. I appreciate the info. Is it possible to find that older terminal on the 10.0 install disks? If so is it hard to find or could you point me in the right direction.

Carnage Visors
Nov 3, 2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by bluehz:
<STRONG>I will type a line in the terminal and it always appears the cursor is out fo sync with the display - always looks like it is one or two chars behind the display. Gets really bad for example if you start backspacing. All of the sudden chars you supposedly just backspaced over start showing up on the right hand side of the cursor, and you get completely lost as to where the cursor actually is. I end up mistyping line in the terminal all the time because of this. I have found that the only way to successfully edit a prev type line of text is to start all over - what a pain.
</STRONG>
Also make sure you are using a fixed width font, like courier or Monaco,
as some fonts can cause that issue...

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

bluehz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2001, 08:12 PM

fixed width font, and other font adjustments was my first guess - no luck when I tried that.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2001, 09:15 PM

I guess the best thing to do might be to try to get someone still running OS X 10.0.4 to stuff their Terminal.app bundle and email it to you. Now, finding that person might be tough. Maybe you can try emailing [email protected] and explain that you need the old Terminal app because the new one's not working right, and he'll probably help you out.

kwiersma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 02:39 PM

I now have this problem as well with OS X.1.3. I never seemed to have this problem before I started playing around with some TinkerTool anti-aliasing settings. I think something I did there maybe with the mono-space font option did it.

I want to use 12 pt. Monico in the terminal windows but I keep getting this cursor issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

--KW

Forum Links
Forum Rules