Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Serial Numbers With Jaguar

Serial Numbers With Jaguar
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2002, 10:04 PM

I doubt that Apple has a crack squadron of agents lurking around checking OS X serial numbers, but I'm wondering if they are going to start pulling a few more M$ tricks (like with the Office "upgrade" that disabled a few serial numbers)

I'm wondering if Apple would pull something like this with Jaguar or later versions? I mean, software update is there... I'm sure they could "reconfigure" it to confirm serial numbers...

$129 x 3+ million makes a considerable chunk of change...

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 10:21 PM

well in 10.1 i think the serial # displayed was the serial # fo the machine, not the OS. when i called ot get tech suport they asked for that # and said it was really my machine ID, not sure if its the same in jag. but ti saves having to pull yer machine out from under your desk to get the # to order a replacemnt part

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
well in 10.1 i think the serial # displayed was the serial # fo the machine, not the OS. when i called ot get tech suport they asked for that # and said it was really my machine ID, not sure if its the same in jag. but ti saves having to pull yer machine out from under your desk to get the # to order a replacemnt part
No such thing as software serial number for Jagar, there is serial numbers only for Jaguar Server.

My Beige G3 doesn't have a serial number because there is no Machine Serial Number report on it (was starting with the newworlds I believe).

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2002, 10:45 PM

Ohhh, didn't double check that... yes, the serial number is the machine number... I wonder if there is a unique number somethere within the system...

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Ohhh, didn't double check that... yes, the serial number is the machine number... I wonder if there is a unique number somethere within the system...
Short answer : No

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 12:31 AM

The System Profiler serial number is the same one as on your machine. It's used for warranty support if you register your machine with Apple. It follows a pattern, so even if you haven't registered by attempt to claim warranty, they can tell when the machine was sold, as Apple Dealers send serial number purchase info (just the serial number and date) back to Apple.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Currawong:
The System Profiler serial number is the same one as on your machine. It's used for warranty support if you register your machine with Apple. It follows a pattern, so even if you haven't registered by attempt to claim warranty, they can tell when the machine was sold, as Apple Dealers send serial number purchase info (just the serial number and date) back to Apple.
It's also user-editable. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but there's a utility for OS 9 that can tell you virtually every little detail about your hardware and (in some cases, like the SN) let you edit them.

CyberDave

miro7
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 01:32 AM

It really sucks, though, when you get a mobo replacement and no serial number shows up even after a wipe/reinstall. Any way to edit the serial number (zapping PRAM doesn't help in this case)?
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2002, 04:41 AM

Wow, what a great little tip! I never knew the serial number in About this Mac or Apple System Profiler was the machine number. Thats a real help to me as the serial number on my iBook is under the keyboard and thus a little tricky to get at.

It also means I don't have to remove the battery from my boss's new PBook so that we can use his serial to order Jag on the cheap.... hee hee.

biscuit

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 10:34 AM

At least on older machines the serial number is simply stored in the boot block on the hard drive. Completely erase the HD and the number is gone (from a software standpoint). This is why it can be changed via software, and why Apple discourages people from using this number for any security measures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules