Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SMB Not working

SMB Not working
Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 10:01 PM

I cant seem to get SMB to connect no matter which way i do it, all it ever does is give me an error -36, which is of course as meaningfull as most apple error messages. Also, the Windows machine cannot connect to my powerbook using the url, giving a "network path not found" Connecting via SMB to my PC was flawless in 10.1, only since installing 10.2 has this problem cropped up. anyone else had this problem? any resolution?

- Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Telusman:
I cant seem to get SMB to connect no matter which way i do it, all it ever does is give me an error -36, which is of course as meaningfull as most apple error messages. Also, the Windows machine cannot connect to my powerbook using the url, giving a "network path not found" Connecting via SMB to my PC was flawless in 10.1, only since installing 10.2 has this problem cropped up. anyone else had this problem? any resolution?
Make sure 'File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks' is enabled on your Windows machine. It's in Network->Protocols somewhere, I think. Just had this same problem myself.
( Last edited by pinlo; Aug 25, 2002 at 10:18 PM. )
Let D�j� Vu take care of backing up your files.
You've got better things to do with your time.
http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

dancrane2
Aug 25, 2002, 10:14 PM

Actually "Allow Windows Networking" is under the "Sharing" Control panel...and you then have to "Start" after you select the checkbox...
"Measure Twice, Cut Once....."
Daniel G. Crane II

Telusman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 10:18 PM

the PC is running Windows2000 Advanced Server, as i said, this was working BEFORE upgrading to 10.2, this is not an issue with the server. Windows File sharing is checked in the sharing panel and always has been, no resolution. IP's are pingable yet no connections are made. Does not work over airport or Ethernet, but SMB sharing did before.

- Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by dancrane2:
Actually "Allow Windows Networking" is under the "Sharing" Control panel...and you then have to "Start" after you select the checkbox...
Depends what version of Windows you're using. Don't embarass yourself by showing your depth of knowledge about Windows here.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 10:30 PM

the PC is running Windows2000 Advanced Server, as i said, this was working BEFORE upgrading to 10.2, this is not an issue with the server. Windows File sharing is checked in the sharing panel and always has been, no resolution. IP's are pingable yet no connections are made. Does not work over airport or Ethernet, but SMB sharing did before.
Hmm, well I fought with this problem for about an hour myself, so I feel your pain.

For logging in Win->Mac as a specific user, you need to check 'Allow user to login from Windows' in the Accounts preference panel. To share a folder other than a user's home directory, you will have to edit /etc/smb.conf to add the share points. There's a template, it's not too hard (but could've been made easier).

Hope some of this helps. I may have forgotten something.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 10:47 PM

Also, double-check the Unix permissions on the folders/files you want to share. When I did a clean Jaguar install, it seems like some of my permissions on my firewire drive (where my share points were) may have gotten messed up.

Telusman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 11:13 PM

nah, checked all that... and that blasted "Windows users can log in" checkbox has been mentioned so often its starting to be ingrained in my brain.

And as far as embarassing myself with my knoweldge of Windows, i am a Microsoft Certified professional for Windows2000 and have several years of Windows experience under my belt.

Telusman

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 12:14 AM

And as far as embarassing myself with my knoweldge of Windows, i am a Microsoft Certified professional for Windows2000 and have several years of Windows experience under my belt.
No, sorry. That comment was intended (as a joke) for dancrane2 for when he corrected me.

OK, I promise I won't mention the 'Allow user to login to Windows' checkbox again. Didn't know it could become offensive so quickly.

I'm all out of advice, or maybe I'm forgetting something else I may have done. (It's all a blur to me now.) Someone else will have to step up here, although I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 12:17 AM

Make sure the Workgroup is set the same on both machines. Defaults to WORKGROUP on Jaguar, can be changed using Directory Access utility.

Not trying to insult your intelligence. Just thinking of everything I checked when this happened to me.

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of your previous smb.conf file that you could compare against, would you? (Wish I had backed my old one up before upgrading.)

vas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2002, 01:06 AM

The -36 error code is not exclusive to SMB networking problems. When I try to log on to an Appleshare server in my Appletalk zone at work, I ALWAYS get the -36 error code. I can connect to Appleshare servers in other zones, however.

So my question is, what the hell is the -36 error??

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 01:38 AM

A -36 error is a generic I/O error in Mac OS.

Anybody who has the solution to this issue regarding connecting to Windows shares, I'd be very happy to hear it. I can't seem to connect to my Win XP machine's shares no matter what I do.... though I've been able to connect to other machines. And it used to work in 10.1, of course.... I can't connect the other way either, the XP machine seems to insist appending it's name to whatever user name I type, and I'm guessing my Jaguar machine doesn't like that much.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2002, 02:08 AM

Think you missed the joke there. The implication was that making a mistake about configuring windows is a badge of honor. Less knowledge about Windows == Good Thing

People can earn beaucoup points (the arbitrary, Who's Line is it Anyway sort of points) in my book by knowing how to do stuff in unix that they can't do in windows.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

miro7
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 02:23 AM

In my case, the problem was that Jag had reverted my home network IP from 'manual' input to DHCP (complete with dummy IP address). Other than that, I have my PC setup with the standard MSHOME workgroup.
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:
Think you missed the joke there. The implication was that making a mistake about configuring windows is a badge of honor. Less knowledge about Windows == Good Thing
Precisely. Thank you, Mactoid.

It seems the only strategy I have when faced with Windows is to try and pound it into submission. A "test of wills", I suppose. It never fails to piss me off. And Windows was my primary platform for a few years, so it's not just a lack of familiarity. I learned the hard way that it just wasn't worth the brain-power and drain on my life energy.

Now somerbody help this guy fix his SMB problem!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 02:35 AM

Ahh what great advice, pounding Windows into submission as far as file sharing goes is the typical procedure... even when trying to share with other Windows machines.

I solved the problem for myself, it involved switching my XP machine to the WORKGROUP workgroup instead of MSHOME and now it works fine... Your mileage my vary, depending on the version of Windows you're running I'm sure.

asmujica
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 02:37 AM

Turn off all the firewalls

Telusman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 07:42 AM

Where do i specify what workgroup my mac will appear in? I cannot find an entry into the smb.conf file and its not seen anywhere in netinfo manager... I was also under the impression that 10.2 would allow browsing of Windows file servers through the finder.

It can find the Appleshare file server on the machine, the smb is for printing via cups, but neither the file sharing nor the cups printing is working.

- Telusman

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 07:51 AM

Okay I too am having problems with SMB...

Where I work we have a H-U-G-E network 85% WinNT 15% Mac (over 10,000 machines in total. In my case I can ONLY see NT machines in my own subnet when I should be able to see TONS and TONS more.

Also when I try to connect to an SMB box:

smb://winboxname/share/

Where winboxname is the SMB name.. it fails. On our network SMB names (or whatever they are called) are NOT linked to DNS hostnames.

Now when I try to connect to an SMB box:

smb://dnsname/share/

This works!

I've gone into DirectorySetup and set my default group and I even tried putting in the 'WINS' server but when I do that the ONLY thing I see in the Network Browser is that SINGLE WINS SERVER (all alone not even the other NT boxes on my subnet). When I delete the WINS server from DirectorySetup I once again just see the machines in my own subnet.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense but anyone have any idea? Also maybe this is the same problem the other person is having...

Try to connect to the Windows box like this:

smb://10.0.0.1/share/

Replace 10.0.0.1 with the real IP address and replace share with the real share.

Dave

Telusman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 08:15 AM

Ok ive made some headway.

I had to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the windows server... somone hang a sign that says "hack me" please... The PC now sees the mac and the mac now sees the PC, i can also now connect to shares on the server and the server now appears in the network dialog box, BUT, i have to use the Fully Qualified Domain name of the server, using the netbios name doesnt work.

However printing still doesnt work, and im not sure whats wrong with it, but at least im getting there!

- Telusman

Originally posted by DaveGee:
Okay I too am having problems with SMB...

Where I work we have a H-U-G-E network 85% WinNT 15% Mac (over 10,000 machines in total. In my case I can ONLY see NT machines in my own subnet when I should be able to see TONS and TONS more.

Also when I try to connect to an SMB box:

smb://winboxname/share/

Where winboxname is the SMB name.. it fails. On our network SMB names (or whatever they are called) are NOT linked to DNS hostnames.

Now when I try to connect to an SMB box:

smb://dnsname/share/

This works!

I've gone into DirectorySetup and set my default group and I even tried putting in the 'WINS' server but when I do that the ONLY thing I see in the Network Browser is that SINGLE WINS SERVER (all alone not even the other NT boxes on my subnet). When I delete the WINS server from DirectorySetup I once again just see the machines in my own subnet.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense but anyone have any idea? Also maybe this is the same problem the other person is having...

Try to connect to the Windows box like this:

smb://10.0.0.1/share/

Replace 10.0.0.1 with the real IP address and replace share with the real share.

Dave

pliny
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 08:32 AM

i connect to a windows 2000 machine this way:

smb://[windows 2000 machine ip]/c$

where c$=the c drive.

the workgroup name was the deafult WORKGROUP.

the login/pass for the win2000 machine is the log/pass of the user currently logged in on the win2000 machine.

on the win 2000 side, there is nothing to set at all--no share, no netbios, etc.

this works flawlessly here, running 10.2.
i look in your general direction

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 11:46 AM

Just an FYI:
Shares ending in $ are hidden shares.

The <drive-letter>$ shares are administrative shares that not all domain users have access to (if you are on a domain).

Telusman...you said it's running Windows 2000 Advanced Server...then is it a domain controller as well?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Telusman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
Just an FYI:
Shares ending in $ are hidden shares.

The <drive-letter>$ shares are administrative shares that not all domain users have access to (if you are on a domain).

Telusman...you said it's running Windows 2000 Advanced Server...then is it a domain controller as well?
No, i have it configured as a standalone server, not a DC.

-Telusman

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 09:24 PM

Re-entering my password (same password is okay) after enabling all the various sharing-to-Windows options were turned on (a la macosxhints.com) seemed to help.

Cheers.

- Telusman
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules