Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > my printer is supported! and i'm to dumb to install!!!

my printer is supported! and i'm to dumb to install!!!
:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 04:19 AM

versiontracker just reported the release of gimp-print for jaguar. AND ACCORDING TO THE DEVELOPER PAGE IT IS SUPPOSED TO FULLY SUPPORT MY EPSON-PRINTER!

i downloaded it and tried to install and guess what: i can't figure out how!!! the read-me talks a lot about command line stuff but i have NO idea what they are talking about!

it's so sad. the moment i have been waiting for for over a year. and now i'm just to plain stupid to use the new printer drivers.

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...5970&db=macosx

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 07:18 AM

There's an easy-to-follow set of instructions at http://www.allosx.com/1030154694/index_html which won't require you to use the command line.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

:haripu:  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 08:29 AM

*blush* oooooops. that's not my day today.

thanks for the tip, mr. banana.

tenchi71
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 10:51 PM

Holy craps!!! This alone is worth the price of the upgrade. This gimp-print driver just resurrected my Epson Stylus Color 580 from the dead. And what's even better, I didn't even have to reboot after installing the driver!
Yup, dat's moi...

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by tenchi71:
Holy craps!!! This alone is worth the price of the upgrade. This gimp-print driver just resurrected my Epson Stylus Color 580 from the dead. And what's even better, I didn't even have to reboot after installing the driver!
Ditto on my 580 (well, the one at work). I had to reboot to get it to work, small price to pay to get this bugger working. MMMM....Unix! Must tinker with CUPS to see what else I can make it do.

CyberDave

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 11:19 PM

It's really great that CUPS is built into the system now, but man oh man Apple really needs to slap a GUI on it. They finally have a really powerful printing architecture, but for the unwashed masses the features are completely hidden.

I hope it's a priority for a future 10.2.x update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules