Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SETI power outage

SETI power outage
Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 07:21 AM

July 19, 2007
There will be a lab-wide power outage (for repairs in a nearby building) this weekend. We'll be shutting down BOINC/SETI@home services around 16:00 PDT on Saturday, and coming back on line 08:00 PDT on Sunday. All web/data servers will be unreachable during this time.
I would say ' stock up on your wu's, but I see that the wu's now have a very long running time.

K.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I would say ' stock up on your wu's, but I see that the wu's now have a very long running time.

K.
Do we know why WUs estimated times to complete have increased so much in the last 3-4 days?

About an hour ago, i posed that question in the Number Crunching thread Time to Completion steadily increasing. One response was that my DCF was probably out of whack (I checked; it's ~0.25, which seems OK).

What kind of increases have you seen in ETCs?

QS

Knightrider  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 11:34 AM

The wu's that downloaded whilst I did not have V7.1 installed were showing +/- 15 hours on my Mac ppc quad. With V7.1 installed they are showing from 4 to 6 or 7 hours, to completion. Obviously, different computers will have different running times according to their capacity, so don't worry about it too much.

I think there was a seti policy decision sometime ago to increase the wu's running time, partly to reduce server loading and partly because of the new arrangements for data collection at Arecebo.

I see there is a note on seti news about changing from 521 to 522.

K.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2007, 01:34 PM

I have noticed that there are some WU's lately that don't compute as well with Alex Khan's enhanced application on my Intel iMac. They aren't the longest or the shortest. The estimated time is around 2:30, but they are taking more like 3:00 to 3:30. And the credits are less; more like what I would expect for a WU that took 2:30, not 3:30

Forum Links
Forum Rules