Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Fusion4 no Audio on Win 7 and Lion OS

Fusion4 no Audio on Win 7 and Lion OS
prisch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2011, 09:32 PM

I installed Fusion 4 and all of a sudden there is no audio. Not through the speakers, USB headset or anywhere. I have reinstalled VM tools, etc. All setting in the .vmx file are as requested. I am running Lion, but audio works great on my mac. Audio worked on Fusion 3 with no issues. Even with Lion. I upgraded to get more support for Lion.http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/hmmm.gif

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2011, 11:24 AM

Audio works here, Fusion 4 running Windows 8 Developer Preview.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks angelmb,
I have an iMac 27 and all was well with 3.1 and snow leopard. The issue asrose when I installed 4 and Lion. Lion firs then fusion 4. Sound works fine on the mac. Sound card shows installed in settings on 4. Thanks for any and all help.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2011, 03:49 PM

Have you tried to add a sound adapter?

Shut down or power off the virtual machine. You cannot change the setting while the virtual machine is powered on or suspended.

1.- From the VMware Fusion menu bar, select Window > Virtual Machine Library.
2.- Right-click the image of the virtual machine and click Settings.
3.- Click Add.
4.- Select the sounds card to add.
5.- Click Add Device.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2011, 03:53 PM

Also: if there is a sound card device, you might try to remove it and add it again.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2011, 06:25 PM

I so appreciate your help. I tried the sound card remove and reinstall. Still no luck. I just don't know what else to try. I want to buy the program, but I must have sound. I minimize it and wait for an alert as I am working on my mac. If I keep it open on the desktop I need topo much screen to keep it open all the time. Hope I'm making sense. The sound from the Mac is great. Just need this sound for alerts.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2011, 04:02 AM

I have just re-read your first post again, you mention a "USB headset" is present. This might be conflicting with Fusion 4 USB driver. You might need to unplug it, restart the iMac, open Fusion 4 again, check if audio works without the USB headset being attached to the iMac, if it does, try plugging it back in after Fusion (and Windows) starts up. Fusion might be able to detect the USB headset once Windows has already started.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2011, 03:43 AM

I just returned ti find your post. Thanks so much for your help. I did as you suggested. The Mac audio is just fine and comes through the mac speakers. I go to sound in windows comntrol panel and it appears as if all is fine, just no sound. One thing that might be of help, when I show sound snf playback it shows the same speakers CamdAudio and Default Device under CamdAudio. There are 15 of the same speaker set. The first is the default checked device. At the end of the speaker list is a High Definition Audio Device stated as the default communications device and the last in the list is Tunebright high speed dubbing. Lastly, when I look at the scale on the right hand side the first bar is lit and no higher, Almost as if constrained some how.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2011, 05:34 AM

Couldn't you just delete most audio devices? I just have 'Speakers' listed. I took some screenshots while I had the earphones plugged in, working flawlessly.

Does your speakers set-up adjust to the audio hardware you have there?, e.g. anything but stereo wouldn't work with my speakers and earphones.

As for any extreme measures… What about deleting all VMware Fusion related files with the exception of the VMware Fusion app and (maybe) the virtual machine.? Please note you should weigh up the risks on losing any functionality which might lead to have to reinstalling Windows.

These are the files related to Fusion 4 I have found on my Mac so far:

Inside Your User Library > Preferences

com.vmware.fusion.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.vmware.fusion.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile
com.vmware.fusion.plist
com.vmware.fusion.plist.lockfile
com.vmware.fusionDaemon.plist
com.vmware.fusionDaemon.plist.lockfile

There is also a VMware Fusion folder nested there.

Inside Hard Disk > Library > Preferences
VMWare Fusion folder

Your User Library > Caches folder
com.vmware.fusion folder

Your User Library > Logs
VMware Fusion folder

Otherwise I would try to post about this issue at the VMware boards.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2011, 02:20 PM

Under test, the scale actually does rise to the top.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2011, 03:04 PM

Thaks for akk the help. I will try the vmware boards. Thanks again.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 02:27 AM

I have uninstalled the cards now I can't figure out how to reinstall the hd sound card on the control panel sound device. I have "No audio devices are installed" I don't know how to install it. The devices show as installed in the device manager, but not as a sound device.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 04:21 AM

So you can't add the sound adapter from the hardware wizard (e.g. Realtek High Definition) ?

Are the VMware Tools installed.? Those include the audio driver.
Virtual Machine menu > Install VMware Tools

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 07:44 PM

I see the three drivers under sound, video and game controllers. They are CamdAudio, High Definition Audio Device and Tunebite High Speed Dubbing. When I go to Control Panel and look at sound, under the playback tab it states "No audio devices are installed". I checked the drivers and they are all up to date. When we first started talking, I had about 9 CamdAudio devices, one CamdAudio communications center and one TuneBrite device. I removed them as we discussed, and now I either don't know how to or can't install an audio device. I know I am missing something that is sooooo simple, yet I can't put a finger on it. BTW, I surey owe you a beer. I can't tell you how great it is to be conversing with an expert that is as bent on fixing this as I am. I know you must have the insane fixation on doing it right. Thanks again for all of your help and concern. Your user name definitely depicts who you are.

prisch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 08:21 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!!! I went back in and showed the disabled devices. I saw the HD driver there and enabled it. THE SOUND IS ON!!!! Wahoo!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sticking with me on this. A great success story. As the great Winston Churchill said, "Never, never, never, never, never give up!!!

Thanks again for all your great help. YTB!!!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 04:19 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules