Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macs in novels...

Macs in novels...
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 12:54 AM

So, I was finishing reading Clear & Present Danger when I went through a Tom Clancy wink to us, mac users. I juts wanted to share it, since it illustrates many of us pretty well (I think).

"...the computer to which it was attached was a new Apple Macintosh IIx, each of whose expanders slots was occupied by a special circuit board, two of which the technician had personally designed. O'Day had heard that he'd work on an IBM only if someone put a gun to his head"

Do you guys recall anything interesting...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2003, 01:03 AM

The only book I can recall off hand mentioning macs is Steven Kings Bag of Bones.I seem to remember the main character, an author, talking about his Powerbook. I think I just finished something that mentioned macs, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 01:26 AM

Microserfs, if you havnt read it, you really should, it's a good read. I also highly recommend Snow Crash.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2003, 01:30 AM

You know, I read, and enjoyed this book:

All macs.

-Owl

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 11:27 AM

Kid novels - "so you want to be a wizard"

...blanking on author (loved these at age 12)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
Microserfs, if you havnt read it, you really should, it's a good read. I also highly recommend Snow Crash.
Yep. It's one of my fav novels. (Microserfs, that is)

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
The only book I can recall off hand mentioning macs is Steven Kings Bag of Bones.I seem to remember the main character, an author, talking about his Powerbook. I think I just finished something that mentioned macs, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.
That's funny, I'm re-reading Bag of Bones right now. He does talk about his Powerbook.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 12:34 PM

Yeah, Snow Crash involves Macs, at least insofar as Hiro is thoroughly schooled in them in his early days. There is also an appearance of an ancient Macintosh (colored green with age) in the collection of Dr. X, in The Diamond Age.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 01:04 PM

The Dirk Gently novels by Douglas Adams feature Macintoshes as well.

I forgot about that reference in Clear and Present Danger. I'll have to bust out the Tom Clancy collection when I'm finished moving and I can unpack them from storage.

Microserfs, eh? <checks library in other tab> I'll have to pick that up this afternoon.

--J

marusin
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 02:56 PM

Definitely read Microserfs if you're into computers and humor.. That is one of my favorite books because it's pretty hip, funny and geeky at the same time (if that's possible!)...

Start reading it today and you'll blow your weekend wanting to read it.. very entertaining...

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 03:06 PM

They're mentioned in William Gibson's 'Pattern Recognition' an iBook to be exact. It's used and mentioned plenty, with the nod to it's ease of use.

I believe Gibson uses Macs.

BDiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2003, 03:16 PM

It's the "cool factor" that comes with macs...especially in movies. Anyone notice how a large portion of movies that came out during the last year or so have macs on display?

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
You know, I read, and enjoyed this book:

All macs.

-Owl
If you have been a subscriber to MacAddict since the beginning, you might want to know that on the free disks you can find the complete text to this book.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Gene Jockey:
The Dirk Gently novels by Douglas Adams feature Macintoshes as well.

--J
yes!! they did!

That software he talked about would be so cool!

-Owl

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2003, 11:51 AM

yes!! they did!

-Owl
Heck, Douglas Adams was a known Apple user and spokesperson featured in Apple's celebrity program (of which name escapes me at the moment)). Pick up A salmon of doubt and you'll even find a few articles he wrote for Mac User.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 12:09 PM

yes!! they did!

-Owl
You mean the couch rotating software? It exists. There was a little screensaver FKEY (this tells you just how old it is) that would draw a wireframe couch, rotate it a bit on the staircase, then X it out as impossible.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Heck, Douglas Adams was a known Apple user and spokesperson featured in Apple's celebrity program (of which name escapes me at the moment)). Pick up A salmon of doubt and you'll even find a few articles he wrote for Mac User.
AppleMasters.

MacUser. (No space )

B*st*rd. That'd be me.

OreoCookie
Jul 19, 2003, 04:17 PM

Yeah, Haruki Murakami mentioned a PowerBook in `Sputnik Sweatheart', too. I suppose he uses a Mac, too.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 07:06 PM

From Microserfs:

"As stated, Karla and I are working on the same things, just in different formats. She's Mac. I'm Windows.
'Entirely appropriate,' says Karla, 'because Windows is more male, and Mac is more female.'
I felt defensive. 'How so?'
'Well,Windows is nonintuitive... counterintuitive, sometimes. But it's so MALE to just go and buy a Windows PC system and waste a bunch of time learning bogus commands and reading a thousand dialog boxes every time you want to change a point size or whatever.... MEN are just used to sitting there, taking orders, executing needless commands, and feeling like they got such a good deal because they saved $200. WOMEN crave efficiency, elegance...the Mac lets them move within their digital universe exactly as they'd like, without cluttering up their human memory banks. I think the reason why so many women used to feel like they didn't "understand computers" was because PCs are so brain-dead... the Macintosh is responsible for upping not only the earning potential of women but also the feeling of mastering technology, which they get told is impossible for them. I was always told that.'" (p120)

MacAgent
Senior User
Jul 19, 2003, 08:54 PM

Tom Clancy's Patriot Games also has Macs in it, if I recall correctly.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2003, 09:02 PM

Peter Robinson's Cold is the Grave (mystery novel) mentions a tangerine iMac early on. That immediately dates the book to 1999, given that the book was published around then.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules