Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Thoughts on Eylo?

Thoughts on Eylo?
RydDragyn
Nov 18, 2003, 11:37 PM

I am kinda disappointed that there isn't a full Jaguar version. I have installed in on Jaguar using Shape Shifter, but there are inconsistencies of course.

Other than that I think it is a rather interesting and unique theme which I will use if and when I update to Panther.

Side note: I am loving Shape shifter. Its easy to use and low impact. Perhaps this will help increase the number of OS X users who use themes, and thus increase the demand and production of themes.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 11:39 PM

The theme needs custom menubar widgets, and some text (selected text) is practically unreadable it's so light. If only those were fixed...

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

Personally, I am not a big fan.

That being said- I appreciate the effort, pushing the limits of theming, and taking it in a new direction. In usability/look I give it a 4/10 (just MHO of course), but for creativeness, and effort I give it a solid 10/10.

-Mark

RydDragyn  (op)
Nov 18, 2003, 11:50 PM

That I can understand...the stuff is very light.

I also dont understand why eveyrthing is very blue...there are more colors in Halo besides blue. heh.

also, off topic but...

http://mmicons.com/

anyone else seen this?

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 12:05 AM

(flamejacket on)
I think it's an eyesore. What the heck were they thinking? If Kal is the benchmark, then it should have come bundled with 5-6 really good themes, as Arlo Rose did. Even the much maligned Konfabulator shipped immediately with a bunch of widgets.

Unsanity should have had a bunch of themes ready to go, plus a concise clearing house to share them. Otherwise this is just lost in the wind. Not worth paying for until then, imo.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 12:12 AM

why is the apple menu icon replaced with the logo from marathon?? as far as i know, this has nothing to do with halo...

RydDragyn  (op)
Nov 19, 2003, 12:22 AM

The marathon logo figures prominantly in Halo, and a lot of marathon story themes are in the game (cyborgs, crazy artificial intelligences, overwhelmingly multicolored aliens, etc)

ambush
Banned
Nov 19, 2003, 12:24 AM

horrible theme...

look like windows

argh!

bah...It's crap.

no !

I hate themes

doesnt work..

It'd be fine if it didn't have those ugly buttons on top.

terrible, just terrible

ugly as hell

umm....no that's not looking too good

<----throws up all over apple pro keyboard

i saw it, i kinda hate it

To blue to be true!

this is hideous.

you payed for this ****? what the hell?
Rating: 1/5_
http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=2&thecat=998

vipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 12:40 AM

Reads like an autobiography of the majority of users/material of Spymac in general... and it's sad that you can't seem to get over the whole issue pertaining to the events of today. Any way you can to get a cheap dig in "eh?"

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 01:00 AM

Personally, it seems more like a design exercise... a way for Max to show what SS is currently capable of (the conforming shadows and changeable text colors in particular). It doesn't have much day-to-day usability, but it's great to see the potential that SS has.

MacAgent
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 01:02 AM

I like it. It's not my favorite theme, but I like it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 01:28 AM

It is a bit bright for my likes. The blue should be a bit darker and that red widget is annoying. It's cool for the most part, but the overly bright color and that red widget. It reminds me of a k-scheme I liked to use back in the day, couldn't find a pic of it though.

And the logo IS from halo:

(thanks resex for the image)
click one

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 02:04 AM

RydDragyn: That BBX teaser about the upcoming Mirakaine has been up for over a YEAR now! I remember seeing it when I was still on my Dell desktop back in Fall 2002.

wuntrikpony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 02:09 AM

I find it ugly and the text is too hard to read. When will these theme developers realize that light highlights on white text doesn't work?

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 02:19 AM

[quote}I find it ugly and the text is too hard to read. When will these theme developers realize that light highlights on white text doesn't work?[/quote]

Um, this their first crack at it, ace. text has not been editable until now.

BTW, what is with the bunch of new regs since 11/18 slammin' SS in ALL of their posts?

Anyway...

It is case-study

No...I don't like it. Not the greatest theme in the world, but as other have pointed out, it is a trial run at what can be done. They had to have a test theme for SS... and this is it.

Jeez

Oh...and, ambush... maybe you need to chill out. I realize you are 'quoting'...but you are spending a lot of air poo-pooing SS and the devs. Grind you axe elsewhere.

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 02:49 AM

Whatever happened to civilty? (Nevermind. I just reminded myself of an unintentionally funny Episcopalian radio ad.)

Anyway, I think it should be praised for what it is: a daring, fresh look. It reminds me of a logo that was used on the rear of some BMWs, next to the model name, for a while, I think in the early 90s. (Not the blue and white circular logo).

I would use it if I could read all text, but to my eyes, the light blues don't have enough contrast to be readable.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 03:11 AM

I think it is nifty.

Of note: halos HUD is blue/red, so the theme is too.

The logo: it is originally from Marathon right? There are conspiracy theories that say Halo is a sequel to marathon

I think it is a nifty topic to base a theme off off. and It gets the feel of the HUD right.

Though I dunno if it is all that usable....

Maybe once SS is at 2.0 a theme based on Halo's menus can be made

-Owl

monotoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 07:41 AM

i love it

... but then again, i'm a huge marathon fan (still) heheh

monotoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 07:43 AM

as for halo being a marathon sequel, well, not really but it takes place in the marathon universe. aaah how i'd just *love* to see tycho and durandal again in a game ...

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
The logo: it is originally from Marathon right? There are conspiracy theories that say Halo is a sequel to marathon
every game bungie ever made was a bit of a sequel to their previous games. there are always one or two references.

-r.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
The theme needs custom menubar widgets, and some text (selected text) is practically unreadable it's so light. If only those were fixed...
I intended to include all this, but I couldn't because at that time, none of the Panther menu extras was included in ThemePark. I've added them now, so I will include them with EYLO in a future update. The text issues will also be fixed. Jason kept fixing and changing the way the text worked right up until the release of shapeshifter.

The theme is more crazy than any other theme I've seen on OS X, and of course some will hate it for that. I didn't make it to be subtle, I made it because it's possible with ShapeShifter and because I love HALO.
Of course it's not a direct representation of the HALO interface, it's an interpretation of it. It's a little more Tron like perhaps.

Btw, if you switch to Graphite in general perferences you will get an Apple in the Apple menu instead of the HALO (Marathon) logo.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:21 AM

Any icon sets anyone would recommend for this?

People should start doing system prefs icon replacements once shapeshifter supports changing that, cause frankly, the current icons look horrible on a blue

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 12:19 PM

I showed Eylo to my g/f last night and she thought it was cool...wished it was in pink tho javascript:smilie('')

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I intended to include all this, but I couldn't because at that time, none of the Panther menu extras was included in ThemePark. I've added them now, so I will include them with EYLO in a future update. The text issues will also be fixed. Jason kept fixing and changing the way the text worked right up until the release of shapeshifter.

The theme is more crazy than any other theme I've seen on OS X, and of course some will hate it for that. I didn't make it to be subtle, I made it because it's possible with ShapeShifter and because I love HALO.
Of course it's not a direct representation of the HALO interface, it's an interpretation of it. It's a little more Tron like perhaps.

Btw, if you switch to Graphite in general perferences you will get an Apple in the Apple menu instead of the HALO (Marathon) logo.
I love Halo too. I'm going to look at the halo interface again and see if I can think of anything that could make it more accurate. The only time there is any red in the hud is when you're down to 2 life or something.
click one

ambush
Banned
Nov 19, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by vipe:
Reads like an autobiography of the majority of users/material of Spymac in general... and it's sad that you can't seem to get over the whole issue pertaining to the events of today. Any way you can to get a cheap dig in "eh?"
I'm reporting facts.

Personally I think it does not look THAT bad.

But it shocked me: NO ONE on Spymac.com thought it was good.

I thought it was the most "out of bounds" theme for osx.. which is a good thing.

I have the ability to remain objective. And I really mean it.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 09:48 PM

I found it revolting when I switched for the first few seconds, and hastily switched back.

But then I had some fun switchign into it for longer. It's actually pretty usable, save for some text issues and the HIDEOUS aqua icons on blue. Especially in system prefs

And all those noobs are because SS release included links to this site on versiontracker, macupdate, etc.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 09:50 PM

Max, I don't know whether to purge it from my hard drive because it's so hideous or to make it my full time theme because I'm so excited by the capabilities of SS. Great job, really. It's so fantastically wonderfully disgusting.

I love it. I hate it. You're my hero for making this.

I think I'll just stick with Alloy.

Make a dark green/turquoise version. That'd be awesome.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 20, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Max, I don't know whether to purge it from my hard drive because it's so hideous or to make it my full time theme because I'm so excited by the capabilities of SS. Great job, really. It's so fantastically wonderfully disgusting.

I love it. I hate it. You're my hero for making this.

I think I'll just stick with Alloy.

Make a dark green/turquoise version. That'd be awesome.
Hehe
It's true I went crazy with the possiblities.
I'm not so sure about other colors, it would require me to change all elements all over again.

And it's true it's not that much like HALOs interface, it does not have as thick edges and they are white, not turquiose. Anyway, this is my interpretation.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
And it's true it's not that much like HALOs interface, it does not have as thick edges and they are white, not turquiose. Anyway, this is my interpretation.
I wouldn't know, I've never played it. I was boycotting it until it got ported to Mac. Stupid M$ and their stupid buyouts.

I've already made my preorder, though. December 3, baby!

I just had to get that in there.

Can't wait to see the Milk update.

cxddesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 07:35 PM

If the goal was to develop a Mac OS X theme that was based on the stylings of the game HALO then the designer suceeded. The only short coming is the light blue text on the darker blue menus, other than that it rocks hardcore, not something i'd use, but definitely something I'd show off to my PC friends.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
I wouldn't know, I've never played it. I was boycotting it until it got ported to Mac. Stupid M$ and their stupid buyouts.
lol true. Just get an Xbox, and that way you won't have to wait for another 2 years for Mac version of Halo2 if they even port it. The Xbox is the only thing by MS that I like.
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
lol true. Just get an Xbox, and that way you won't have to wait for another 2 years for Mac version of Halo2 if they even port it. The Xbox is the only thing by MS that I like.
So true. I boycotted the Xbox for the first year it was out just becuause it was a M$ product. Finally I broke down and tried it. Turns out they made a really GOOD console. Seems that everything they do wrong with PC software they did right with Xbox. Go figure.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 09:03 PM

The look and design is cool and very neat, you know.

But I will never use it. It's not my taste.

I like my themes as I like my women "dark and black". lol.

I will only wait for BBX Omega

Christian

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 21, 2003, 08:03 AM

I have an Xbox, but i have it modchipped which is awesome. But I agree that it sucks that M$ had to buy Bungie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules