Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > " investigators are looking at about half a dozen members of Congress."

" investigators are looking at about half a dozen members of Congress."
TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 06:28 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/...lea/index.html

So now that Abramoff is locked up, what heads are going to roll?

"Abramoff is a longtime associate of several top GOP leaders, including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Americans for Tax Reform director Grover Norquist, and former Christian Coalition chief Ralph Reed."

I have to think that Republicans wont be the only one implicated in this however.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2006, 07:28 PM

95% of the Congress should be arrested. They're almost all f*cking crooks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 09:27 PM

Don't forget these folks

"Among the biggest (Abramoff) beneficiaries were Capitol Hill's most powerful Democrats, including Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) and Harry M. Reid (Nev.), the top two Senate Democrats at the time, Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), then-leader of the House Democrats, and the two lawmakers in charge of raising funds for their Democratic colleagues in both chambers"

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 11:04 PM

You're absolutely right; we shouldn't forget those folks, if they're proven to be guilty.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/...lea/index.html

So now that Abramoff is locked up, what heads are going to roll?

"Abramoff is a longtime associate of several top GOP leaders, including former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Americans for Tax Reform director Grover Norquist, and former Christian Coalition chief Ralph Reed."

I have to think that Republicans wont be the only one implicated in this however.
From NYT:

"With Mr. Abramoff's cooperation, the Justice Department will have a potentially critical witness to alleged patterns of corruption or bribery within the Republican leadership ranks, which in some cases they believe also took the form of campaign donations and free meals at Mr. Abramoff's downtown restaurant, Signatures.

After more than two years of investigations, prosecutors have developed a list of at least a dozen lawmakers, congressional aides and lobbyists whose work appears suspect and who are now at the core of the case.

Already, prosecutors had a key witness in Mr. Scanlon, once press secretary to Mr. DeLay. When Mr. Scanlon reached a plea agreement last year, it put pressure on Mr. Abramoff to reach his own deal.

Now that Mr. Abramoff has done the same, one person involved in the case said: "When some people hear about this, they will clamor to cut a deal of their own.""

Going to be a busy year, what with all the backstabbing and plea-bargaining.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 02:45 AM

I like the name Grover.

TheMosco  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 10:05 PM

"I wish it hadn't happened because it's not going to help us keep our majority," conceded Rep. Ralph Regula, R-Ohio.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/....ap/index.html
AXP
ΔΣΦ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
"I wish it hadn't happened because it's not going to help us keep our majority," conceded Rep. Ralph Regula, R-Ohio.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/....ap/index.html
The same people who voted for a multi-billion dollar bill so Americans can buy High Definition TV, while simultaneously voting for cuts in Education and Medicare.

I may be going out on a limb here... but I don't think most of these politicians have their priorities in the right order.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
The same people who voted for a multi-billion dollar bill so Americans can buy High Definition TV, while simultaneously voting for cuts in Education and Medicare.

I may be going out on a limb here... but I don't think most of these politicians have their priorities in the right order.
Hehe I read this on Slashdot. The basic feeling was that it is a waste of money.

The irony?... Maybe if they spent more on education, more people would have a higher income and could just buy the upgrade if and when they needed it. But then agian, all those poor trailer park people need to be brainwashed by fox too and really need that coupon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules