Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I change the optical drive in a dual G5 1.8?

Can I change the optical drive in a dual G5 1.8?
malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 11:04 PM

I just bought a G5 but haven't received it yet. I planned to put a LG DVDburner I already own inside, instead of the superdrive.

But I remember, the drive door looked somewhat strange/custom � will a normal drive (especially my LG) FIT into the G5 and properly open it'S door?!

Anyone tried this?

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

the weatherman
Dec 3, 2004, 03:35 AM

You might not have to replace the superdrive, because apple uses different dvd burners. You might get either an LG (hdst-xxx is an LG), Sony or a Pioneer superdrive.

You just need to remove the tray bezel on the drive.

Chito
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 11:07 AM

I'll add another question to this thread. I'm getting a dual 2.0 G5 with a combo drive that I plan on replacing as soon as it arrives with my current DVR-106 super drive. I was just reading on Apple's support pages that G5's use standoffs on the optical drive. It says not to transfer standoffs from the original drive to the replacement drive. Why not? Since my current optical drive has no standoffs I need to use the ones off of the combo drive. Have I put myself into a bit of a pickle by buying a machine that I intended to upgrade immediately?
Thanks...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Chito
Senior User
Dec 3, 2004, 09:30 PM

bump
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 09:55 AM

you could check this about the compatibility (and other things)
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

I'm also thinking of swaping the superdrive that will come in my future G5 2x2, with a pioneer 108...

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Chito:
I'll add another question to this thread. I'm getting a dual 2.0 G5 with a combo drive that I plan on replacing as soon as it arrives with my current DVR-106 super drive. I was just reading on Apple's support pages that G5's use standoffs on the optical drive. It says not to transfer standoffs from the original drive to the replacement drive. Why not? Since my current optical drive has no standoffs I need to use the ones off of the combo drive. Have I put myself into a bit of a pickle by buying a machine that I intended to upgrade immediately?
Thanks...
i got my dual 1.8 with the combo drive and switched it out for my pioneer dvr-106. the standoffs from my combo drive fit fine, they were the hex standoffs. i just had to remove the front bezel off of the pioneer drive like all optical drives that come with the g5 power mac. if your combo drive comes with the normal screw standoffs instead of the hex ones they might not work.

ill tell you what someone else on this board told me when i asked this question. if the standoffs dont work for your drive just go to a hardware store and pick up 4 screws that fit because thats all they are.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Chito
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks Larry. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules