Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Tired so I got a console.

Tired so I got a console.
Big Booger
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 12:12 PM

I got so fed up with games on my Power Mac 1Ghz that I bought a PS2. I just died when I saw the trailer for Everything Or Nothing.

So I'm playing this amazing game and thinking why I havent I see anything like this on the Mac. Here I am wtih my 1Ghz G4 and Radeon 8500 and there's nothing on the Mac that has graphics like Everything Or Nothing (great game! I'm on the fifth level!). But the PS2 is like 300Mhz with an old 32MB graphic card that shares the memory with the whole system. My Mac can't even run Halo with settings turned down and Halo looks like a five year old game!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 24, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Big Booger:
But the PS2 is like 300Mhz with an old 32MB graphic card that shares the memory with the whole system. My Mac can't even run Halo with settings turned down and Halo looks like a five year old game!
Probably 'cuz most PSX games run at 640x448 or less.

And Halo is a very isolated case of developers using too many new graphics card features and producing something that looks old...with very disappointing results.

BTW, Halo would never be able to run on the PS2 anywhere near the speed you get on your Mac.

I think Xbox's Halo was capped at 30fps (and even the Xbox had trouble with the framerate at points). I'm sure your Mac can produce the same 30fps at 640x480 (Xbox Halo's resolution, if I'm not mistaken)...and you got a 8500? You can surely plug your TV into TV out and have it play on a shitty resolution TV that'll blur any special effects...you can then tone down the textures because there's hardly any difference between high quality textures and low quality ones on a TV.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 12:57 PM

yeah the console games are very high quality. It's just that more work goes into creating a console game. The engine is usually built from scratch and can vary hugely in game types. Computer games are all basicly first person shooters, and they're all built on the quake 3 engine. Computer games are like stacks of cards, each new game is built from the engine of an older one. Every problem an original game had will remain in it's later versions.
And as for Halo, the graphics require like Radeon 9700 in order to see the cool visual effects that made halo cool on the Xbox, a pricey card just to see some shiny-ness

Oh and here's a list of PS2 games you NEED (my faves )
Favorite Action/Adventure
-Prince of Persia
Favorite RPG
-Kingdom Hearts
Favorite Sports Game
-NFL Street
Favorite Shooter
-Socom 2 or 1 (one comes with a headset)
Favorite JustPlainFunGame
-Ratchet and Clank 2:Going Commando
Favorite Blood Bath
-GTA: Vice City
( Last edited by Caesar2099; Feb 24, 2004 at 01:09 PM. )

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
yeah the console games are very high quality. It's just that more work goes into creating a console game. The engine is usually built from scratch and can vary hugely in game types. Computer games are all basicly first person shooters, and they're all built on the quake 3 engine. Computer games are like stacks of cards, each new game is built from the engine of an older one. Every problem an original game had will remain in it's later versions.
And as for Halo, the graphics require like Radeon 9700 in order to see the cool visual effects that made halo cool on the Xbox, a pricey card just to see some shiny-ness

Oh and here's a list of PS2 games you NEED (my faves )
Favorite Action/Adventure
-Prince of Persia
Favorite RPG
-Kingdom Hearts
Favorite Sports Game
-NFL Street
Favorite Shooter
-Socom 2 or 1 (one comes with a headset)
Favorite JustPlainFunGame
-Ratchet and Clank 2:Going Commando
Favorite Blood Bath
-GTA: Vice City
Hmm. I don't like any of those. I want Fifa 2004 next.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2004, 05:17 PM

...You don't like GTA?...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 05:23 PM

wow, none of them...

You don't deserve a f*ckin' PS2, BITCH

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2004, 05:38 PM

there is something fundamentally wrong with anyone who does not like Vice City. It is the GREATEST GAME EVER.

Damn... I wish they would port it to mac.....

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
...You don't like GTA?...
I like the original!

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 05:53 PM

wow, none of them...

You don't deserve a f*ckin' PS2, BITCH
What? James Bond and soccer is all a man needs...and love and a job.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 06:50 PM

...and SOCOM. but if you get SOCOM and an online adapter you lose the love and job.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 07:10 PM

OK let's compromise. How about you get Socom 1 and Vice City, there a bit old so you might be able to get 'em cheep at FuncoLand (yes i know it's called gamestop now, but that name sux), and you never say James Bond games are good again

Man cannot live by soccer and spys alone

P.S. My Bond comment doesn't include Everything or Nothing cause that's acutally a really good game despite James Bond being in the title

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
...and SOCOM. but if you get SOCOM and an online adapter you lose the love and job.

Don't tell me more then. The other two is all I live for. When love is sorted I'll play PS2 two player games.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 07:14 PM

Don't tell me more then. The other two is all I live for. When love is sorted I'll play PS2 two player games.
then when that time comes make sure you get the Barbie Hair Styler Pro IV with the Multiplayer pack.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
then when that time comes make sure you get the Barbie Hair Styler Pro IV with the Multiplayer pack.
I want to try those dancing pad things. Need exercise after smoking 20 a day.

Can you believe I got to level 6 on EoN today then realized I didn't have a memory card? Oh my Mel Gibson, I'm so stupid. I shouted.

busket68
Banned
Feb 24, 2004, 10:47 PM

I thought socom sucked. Way to complex, and the graphics were subpar. No thanks. I'll stick with Metal Gear.

- Ca$h

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 01:03 AM

What's World Rally Championship like?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2004, 11:01 AM

Interesting assertion that all computer games are built on the Quake 3 engine! I'll leave that alone for now.

In any case, if I had to get a console, I'd get an XBox, just for the ability to play Half Life 2 and Doom 3 when they come out. I know, I know, they're just computer games, but old habits die hard and I've never been able to get into console games. Metal Gear Solid 2 annoyed me the only time I've ever seen it played, although that MAY be because the guy who was playing it thought it was hilarious to hit all the bad guys in the crotch.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 11:29 AM

yeah sorry 'bout that Quake 3 comment, i was exaggerating

i liked metal gear solid 2, well sort of. I stink at stealth games so i'd get bored very easily so i stopped playing.
I prefer socom 'cause it's like all tactical and sh#t and has funny-ass names like boomer and cheese monkey...

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 03:55 PM

Don't forget that Starcraft: Ghost is only being released for consoles!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by blizzard:
Interesting assertion that all computer games are built on the Quake 3 engine! I'll leave that alone for now.

In any case, if I had to get a console, I'd get an XBox, just for the ability to play Half Life 2 and Doom 3 when they come out.
No PS2 versions?

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 07:28 PM

You cannot own a ps2 without Vice City. It's just impossible. I will hunt you down and make you beg for mercy if you don't buy it.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
You cannot own a ps2 without Vice City. It's just impossible. I will hunt you down and make you beg for mercy if you don't buy it.
Everything Or Nothing is better. Wicked set pieces.

Next up, Fifa 2004. Haven't played the game since the 2001 version.

What good internet play games are there? I'm thinking of getting the network adaptor.
Mr. Smith 'I don't know you from Adam.'

Mr. Klein 'I dress better.'

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 11:14 PM

must hold back gorilla-like banana rage....

BETTER THAN VICE CITY?!?!
Please tell me you're comically insane cause then i'll let it slide...

Despite you're obvious slug tortilla disease that there FIFA is a good game so i do agree you pick that up but still GET VICE CITY, killing whores is some down-right good old fashioned fun!!!

(also if i don't make any sense it's cause i don't)

ambush
Banned
Feb 25, 2004, 11:28 PM

Vice city.. what a game.. I have an xbox, and on PS2 it's way too slow (loading & fps!!)...

I like it
I play it for the fun of driving in a city
I play it when I have nothing to do
I play it for the nice missions
I play it for the bloodbaths
I play it when I'm ****ing drunk

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 11:32 PM

vice city fer PS2 does look messed up but is still AWWWW-SUM

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2004, 12:30 AM

No PS2 versions?
Because it's so similar to the PC platform, developers can port their games much more easily to it than to the PS2...is my understanding, anyways. I'd love to see how MS is going to address this if the rumours are true and they're using PowerPC chips in the next XBox.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 12:50 AM

Despite you're obvious slug tortilla disease that there FIFA is a good game so i do agree you pick that up but still GET VICE CITY, killing whores is some down-right good old fashioned fun!!!
I did that in Duke Nukem 3D.

btw, this is my 3rd PS2. I had a Japanese import when it first came out. Dont ask how much I paid. I got bored and sold it for profit. Then I got another one when it came out here. But I got bored because none of the games were that good at the time. Gran Turismo was the only thing that showed the power.

Now I got one again and feel a bit more dedicated because the games look a bit better and the network adaptor is out. Noticed the firewire port is gone. Losers.
( Last edited by Big Booger; Feb 26, 2004 at 01:17 AM. )

deathvole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by blizzard:
Because it's so similar to the PC platform, developers can port their games much more easily to it than to the PS2...is my understanding, anyways. I'd love to see how MS is going to address this if the rumours are true and they're using PowerPC chips in the next XBox.
My guess would be VirtualPC, which M$ purchased over the summer(?). A key reason VPC ragingly sucks for games on the Mac is the lack of hardware video acceleration. If M$ could implement that on XBox2, it'd probably work pretty darn well. Not ideal, but a good fallback.

But that's a serious WAG on my part. :-)

Cheers,

-DV
iBook: 800MHz G4 12"/640MB/30GB/Combo/Airport Extreme/Panther - *schweet* :-)
Sawtooth Desktop: 450MHz G4/768MB/20GBx2/CD/Panther
Windoze Boxen: 2.4GHz P4 Dell, 1GHz Athlon Gateway (Parts extensively repaired/replaced in both... Bleh)

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2004, 11:03 PM

That's not a bad guess actually...it'll be interesting to see where that goes!

macenthusiast
Feb 28, 2004, 04:16 AM

so your guessing that ms would release a console on emulation software?

drakester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 02:20 PM

okay just a few comments, umm,

1.the mac is not meant for games, if u wanted to play games, go get a pc, or build urself a sick ass gaming rig
2.umm ps2 is nothing compared to the xbox, XBOX RULES
3. okay, u dont get a ps2 just to play some gay bond game and fifa soccer, lol, u fool, goldeneye is the only good bond game and its on n64, u shoudl have gotten an n64 with bond and fifa lol, would have saved u some money
4. XBOX RULES, oh i already said that sry
5. anyone who doesnt like gta should be shot

this concludes my comments, have a nice day

redJag
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by macenthusiast:
so your guessing that ms would release a console on emulation software?
I'm guessing they'll use the NT codebase that already runs on PPC, port DirectX to PPC, and use VPC (heavily modded of course) to emulate XBOX-1 games.
Travis Sanderson

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by redJag:
I'm guessing they'll use the NT codebase that already runs on PPC, port DirectX to PPC, and use VPC (heavily modded of course) to emulate XBOX-1 games.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I acutally still have a version of NT that runs on PPC!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2004, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by codywalton:
there is something fundamentally wrong with anyone who does not like Vice City. It is the GREATEST GAME EVER.

Damn... I wish they would port it to mac.....
Me too!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 4, 2004, 08:38 AM

Looks like GTA San Andreas is coming in October.
Damn i can't wait to see some screenshots

http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas/

JacobyO
Mar 4, 2004, 10:24 AM

For those Soccer Game folks out there...

Before you spend the money on FIFA, check out Winning Eleven. They just came out with version 7. This is by far the best soccer game I have ever played and I have been playing FIFA since it came out. I used to be a big FIFA fan until now. It seems the later versions have become to complicated and the play seems slow.

Winning eleven has smoother play and a more intuitive control system. The only downside to WE7 vs FIFA is there is no online play. When I play them back to back though I doesn't mean too much since I can't stand FIFA anymore.

Check it out!

As for the most anticipated game for me...

Gran Tourismo 4!!!!

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2004, 01:22 PM

Got my PS2 about 2 months ago. Ace Combat 4 looks so awesome one person came in my room while I was watching an instant replay of my latest air battle and he thought I was watching a jet fighter movie. Looking forward to AC5. I too realized that although it's nice to play a few games on my 17" Powerbook now and then, it just don't compare to the PS2. Just not enough variety.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2004, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by JacobyO:
For those Soccer Game folks out there...

Before you spend the money on FIFA, check out Winning Eleven. They just came out with version 7. This is by far the best soccer game I have ever played and I have been playing FIFA since it came out. I used to be a big FIFA fan until now. It seems the later versions have become to complicated and the play seems slow.

Winning eleven has smoother play and a more intuitive control system. The only downside to WE7 vs FIFA is there is no online play. When I play them back to back though I doesn't mean too much since I can't stand FIFA anymore.
I played all the FIFAs from 96-2001 and loved them all. They got better and better but I didn't get the chance to play later versions. I also never tried other footy games because I got so used to the standard FIFA controls. Damn I wish there was a Mac version of FIFA.

But I might have to check this Winning Eleven out. Does it have all the English teams, real player names and international leagues too? I'm a Chelsea supporter (Grew up on King's Road and knew the Sex Pistols (before they were famous) and Bob Marley when I was a kid. I called Marley my uncle - Uncle Bob).

My local Virgin Megastore on Sunset Blvd doesn't have FIFA so I might have to get something else.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by derbs:Looks like GTA San Andreas is coming in October.
Damn i can't wait to see some screenshots
GTA San Andreas?! How did I not hear about this? can't wait!

In the spirit of no-name calling week I've removed what i've said, YAY

here's a cool smiley
( Last edited by Caesar2099; Mar 5, 2004 at 02:26 PM. )

JacobyO
Mar 5, 2004, 03:37 PM

Here is a pretty good review of Winning Eleven than has some comparisons to FIFA.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/491/491237p3.html

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 05:50 PM

Does it [winning eleven] have all the English teams, real player names and international leagues too? I'm a Chelsea supporter...
That is the fact because people do not buy WE, and just buy another FIFA , WE lacks official names. I am not a PS dude, I am a Nintendo dude, and I have the Konami�s ISS2, that game is full of bugs !!! I can not believe Konami sells it But well, I refuse to be another FIFA dude. If the buggy ISS2 has real player names of a great number of national teams, why WE lacks them?, both are from Konami.

Ah, after some investigation, I found that the best option to play ISS2 is with the camera angle and distance both at 10 valour, with no score, no player�s number/name, no map, nothing !! So you can not know where your mates are, that adds fun to this ... well, not so lucky game

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 05:54 PM

BTW, my little brother plays ChampionShip Managuer with his Pismo 500, ha ha, it is funny, seems as you are in the VIP tribune watching the match by TV :-D

It is no a FIFA, WE, even nor an ISS2, but is just different, just sit down, watch your team and manague it in the best way you can !.

Could the Chelsea guys win the Champions League under your hand, Big Booger?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 10:10 PM

What's World Rally Championship like?
i think it's awful. i love gran turismo 3 (<-- note spelling, not tourismo) on the other hand, and eagerly anticipate gt4 along with the new steering wheel.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2004, 12:11 PM

I really can't play a footy game without real player names. It just kills the game if you can't pretend to be them or support your fave team. It's like playing a secret agent game but only being allowed to play the role of 006.

Big Booger  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2004, 11:47 PM

Alrighty, I bought Winning Eleven. It's pretty good but I still have to get used to the controls (brain still in FIFA mode). It does have 'some' real player names.

JacobyO
Mar 8, 2004, 10:11 AM

WE seems to have the real names for the majority of the international teams. It's the club teams that they for some reason didn't get the license.

World Rally Championship takes some getting use to compared to the GT3 controls which are more precise. GT has never had a very good Rally mode. It is fun to play but for those of us who are rally folks it doesn't come close to being a true rally sim. When it comes to road racing GT can't be touched.

A good rally sim has to have good Co-driver and damage reality. I would imagine that if the makers of GT put their efforts into making a dedicated Rally game it would be incredible. Rally is just one of those types of racing that needs to be it's own game.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 05:26 PM

No one meantioned Armored Core, FF or Super Smash Brothers???
wtf..
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 06:25 PM

they've only been talking about soccer games that's why (and smash bros is for gamecube)

You can play soccer outside why the hell do you need a video game of it?

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 08:22 PM

soccer? really? sports games???
acK! ~*vomit*~

Give me a sword or a bunch of guns and a giant robot and I'll show you some sports.
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2004, 11:32 PM

Sports games... Jeebus.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules