Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to mount a single xserve

How to mount a single xserve
Flyzone
Feb 27, 2004, 04:24 PM

I just got of the phone with my dealer and in a couple of months we should receive our xserve. Problem is I don't have a rack and I don't plan to spend $2000 on a rack solution because 1 xserve will be enought for the company. I was looking at the Marathon Vert�X solution but I think it will be really impossible to use the CD drive in a vertical position.

Anybody know a solution for a single xserve placement.

Thanks,
fly

OreoCookie
Feb 27, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Flyzone:
I just got of the phone with my dealer and in a couple of months we should receive our xserve. Problem is I don't have a rack and I don't plan to spend $2000 on a rack solution because 1 xserve will be enought for the company. I was looking at the Marathon Vert�X solution but I think it will be really impossible to use the CD drive in a vertical position.

Anybody know a solution for a single xserve placement.

Thanks,
fly
It's a notebook (slot load) drive, it should work fine horizontally.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JacobyO
Mar 16, 2004, 04:04 PM

We have a single xserve here at my office and we use the Marathon VertX and it works great.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 02:50 AM

Umm.. so why are you buying an XServe at all?

A regular (tower) system will offer equal or better performance for less $$'s and you don't need to worry about rackmount solutions for it.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Flyzone  (op)
Mar 18, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
Umm.. so why are you buying an XServe at all?

A regular (tower) system will offer equal or better performance for less $$'s and you don't need to worry about rackmount solutions for it.

Infact I cancelled the order for the xserver and I got a G5 tower. My dealer told me that I was going to wait another 8 weeks for the unit and I couldn't wait any longer.

JacobyO
Mar 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

We used to just use a tower for our server but with the hotswappable drives it makes our backup system a breeze. We have 5 drives, the first is the system drive, the second and third are a raid for the fileserver, and the fourth and fifth are our backup drives that we back up to nighly and switch out once a week and place the other offsite. I am definitely a believer in the XServe now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules