Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > sweet jesus help me set default views...

sweet jesus help me set default views...
slackerjohn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 05:32 PM

so ever since I moved over to panther the only problem I've had and have yet to solve is the fact that default windows load up with the toolbar enable, which is big and ugly and combersome, especially when running x server or dealing with ridiculous amounts of directories.

regardless, it's ugly and I hate it, even after stripping the brushed metal interface and replacing it with aqua.

so please help me figure out how to set deafult window preferences permanately, as I've tried with various utilities (all of them excellent but none have allowing this) and also delved deep into apple's system .plists with no success.

many thanks.
john

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 07:54 PM

Shortly after reading this post, I happened across this lil page here: http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Edi...-04-01.01.html

Perhaps the " defaults write com.apple.finder UseCocoaFinder Yes " command (the 3rd command in the first box under "User Defaults") would do the trick if you changed Yes to No. But be aware I'm no expert on this; just throwing ideas out there.

slackerjohn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 08:03 PM

no, I've played with the finder plists before and it simply doesn't work, atleast that one preference... many thanks for the consideration, though, because god knows I thought it'd work...

btw, plistpro is great if you're not up for editing things in bbedit.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by slackerjohn:
btw, plistpro is great if you're not up for editing things in bbedit.
What's wrong with the Property List Editor?

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
Shortly after reading this post, I happened across this lil page here: http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Edi...-04-01.01.html

Perhaps the " defaults write com.apple.finder UseCocoaFinder Yes " command (the 3rd command in the first box under "User Defaults") would do the trick if you changed Yes to No. But be aware I'm no expert on this; just throwing ideas out there.
lol! Check the date, check the other userDefaults, funny but just an Aprils Fool
defaults write com.apple.finder RunSlowly No or even better:
defaults write com.microsoft.Office SendPersonalInformationToMotherShip No

but you are right, that damn big brushed metal in finder is annoying, the whole Finder is annoying! I set show all sizes in list view as standard but the next window already forgot that

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 05:37 AM

I don't believe there even is a Cocoa Finder, although I don't know what Apple's excuse is for why...
( Last edited by siliconwarrior; Jul 29, 2004 at 06:26 AM. )
Silicon-Age Warrior

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 08:41 AM

I don't know if this in the correct answer. But, can you not choose the button in the top righthand side of the Finder window so that the sidebar and toolbar goes away ? And then you're left with an Aqua window. Don't slay me if I totally misunderstood.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 08:47 AM

That is indeed the way to get Ye Olde Style aqua windows, but I think what we're searching for is a way to get all new windows to open that way by default, which is proving to be rather tricky.
Silicon-Age Warrior

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 08:50 AM

There is a Finder preference that all windows should open in Column view.
How hard can it be to add "should open with/without toolbar buttons", right ?

I believe I picked this one up on this forum : Command-click the toolbar button on the top right will toggle you through all the options from big icons with text to small text. Quite handy, so HNX to the tipper who's name I sadly forgot.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
There is a Finder preference that all windows should open in Column view.
How hard can it be to add "should open with/without toolbar buttons", right ?

I believe I picked this one up on this forum : Command-click the toolbar button on the top right will toggle you through all the options from big icons with text to small text. Quite handy, so HNX to the tipper who's name I sadly forgot.
the_plan showed it to us in the Spotlight / Prosoft Plastic thread.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2004, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
I don't believe there even is a Cocoa Finder, although I don't know what Apple's excuse is for why...
uh, yes, read my post above yours again and maybe you find the words "Aprils fool"

siliconwarrior
Jul 29, 2004, 09:55 AM

Thanks SnakeBoy, but English is my native language and I do have 20/20 vision ( ); I was just pointing out that the April fool's joke was about the finder not being written in cocoa rather than the lack of a default window view preference.

Perhaps it would have been clearer had I put "I don't believe there EVEN IS a Cocoa Finder". Nevermind.
Silicon-Age Warrior

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by siliconwarrior:
Thanks SnakeBoy, but English is my native language and I do have 20/20 vision ( ); I was just pointing out that the April fool's joke was about the finder not being written in cocoa rather than the lack of a default window view preference.

Perhaps it would have been clearer had I put "I don't believe there EVEN IS a Cocoa Finder". Nevermind.
Is PathFinder a Cocoa Finder ? I cannot remember. But the authors website is called www.cocatech.com - I looked there but is unable to find the answer. Maybe I did not look hard enough :S

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Is PathFinder a Cocoa Finder ? I cannot remember. But the authors website is called www.cocatech.com - I looked there but is unable to find the answer. Maybe I did not look hard enough :S
PathFinder is cocoa I believe, but there's no way that you can just replace your Finder with it.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
PathFinder is cocoa I believe, but there's no way that you can just replace your Finder with it.
with some trickery it can be done. edit the info.plist(i think) to say the same thing as Apple's Finder and then replace Finder in coreservices with pathfinder by renaming it Finder instead of PathFinder. I've done this but some apps rely on the original Finder.

there's a thread somewhere on PathFinders forum. I'm not going to take my chances and have my OSX rendered useless by some trick though. I sat and prayed the last time - but it turned out well though(at that time)

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2004, 02:00 PM

You can set PathFinder to be used for everything, and have Finder not run. Seems close enough to me.
|wishing is for suckers|

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
You can set PathFinder to be used for everything, and have Finder not run. Seems close enough to me.
Yeah, but if I remember correctly the Finder starts up first and PathFinder kicks in at a later time. Or I am mistaken ?

slackerjohn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2004, 12:23 PM

well... although I've found pathfinder to be interesting and I've delved throughout the other finder interface alternatives, nothing beats just being able to use my finder, as apple intended and I have since os seven.

I've also spent too too much time reading through plists and I've about gone blind because of it. but many thanks to everyone who helped me ascertain without a doubt that apple seems to have made my simple finder ugly and clunky.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Yeah, but if I remember correctly the Finder starts up first and PathFinder kicks in at a later time. Or I am mistaken ?
I believe you can have PathFinder set to kill Finder right after it starts up at log in time.
|wishing is for suckers|

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
I believe you can have PathFinder set to kill Finder right after it starts up at log in time.
You can. But PathFinder takes ages to boot. About a minute or so. It does some searching and stuff before it actually presents you with PathFinder as a replacement Finder.

The time i mention is on my 800Mhz iMac with 512mb sd-ram

edit. turning off the Applications menu seems to help on the startup speed of PathFinder.
( Last edited by Fonzie; Aug 1, 2004 at 06:29 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules