Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks and Appleworks

Powerbooks and Appleworks
Applesatyr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 01:46 PM

I've stumbled onto this site (nice job, by the way), and others like it during my research behind purchasing either an iBook or a Powerbook from Apple. I was wondering if anybody knows why the Powerbook doesn't come with Appleworks, (as I know the ibook does).
(Or does it come with it? I checked the specs on apple.com and it isn't listed.)

Also, would it be worth the money to just order a student Microsoft Office for mac anyway?

Finally - could anybody list the pros and cons in their opinion of an iBook vs. a Powerbook.

I've scouted both, and would like to know from any owners how they feel. (I'd be using the notebook in college, since I'm waiting for prices to drop, to save money up, etc. - is that a good idea?)

Thanks in advance for any help.
( Last edited by Applesatyr; Aug 1, 2004 at 03:36 PM. )

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Applesatyr:
I've scouted both, and would like to know from any owners how they feel. (I'd be using the notebook in college, since I'm waiting for prices to drop, to save money up, etc. - is that a good idea?)
What would you be using the laptop for?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 04:54 PM

Appleworks doesn't come with Powerbooks because, in Apple's opinion, PB's are for "pro users" who will use their own, more powerful software (Office, etc). Appleworks is in SERIOUS need of a MAJOR overhaul at this point, though, so you're not missing much. All Macs come with TextEdit, which is a nice basic word processor that can even work with basic .doc files.

You may just want to get Office anyway, especially if you have to share Word/Excel documents with others. Before laying out all that money, though, give some free Office alternatives like OpenOffice and NeoOffice/J a try. They're getting to the point where they're more than sufficient for most users (thought the interfaces are UGLY!), and they're FREE!

I've owned both PBs and iBooks, and both are great computers. Go with the one that best meets your budget and need for features, and you should be fine. Just be aware of the differences between the two, such as SuperDrive availability, external display mirroring (iBook) vs. true dual displays (Powerbook), etc.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Applesatyr:
I've stumbled onto this site (nice job, by the way), and others like it during my research behind purchasing either an iBook or a Powerbook from Apple. I was wondering if anybody knows why the Powerbook doesn't come with Appleworks, (as I know the ibook does).
(Or does it come with it? I checked the specs on apple.com and it isn't listed.)

Also, would it be worth the money to just order a student Microsoft Office for mac anyway?

Finally - could anybody list the pros and cons in their opinion of an iBook vs. a Powerbook.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appleworks only comes preinstalled on the consumer level Macs (i.e. iBook, iMac and eMac.).
Appleworks is a good program and can be purchased separately will read Microsoft Word and Excel files but it's the same as Microsoft Works for the PC. It's a free program on PC's and Microsoft limit's it's functionality so the user will upgrade to Microsoft Office.
Since you are a student you will qualify for Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition and it's a very good program and worth buying. Unfortunately like Apple's iPod, Microsoft has the Office Suite that's a "must have for any computer user so go fo it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 05:21 PM

See if your school has a special deal with MS to provide students with MS Office for cheap. I picked up a copy of Office X for FREE from my school!

Anyway, don't buy AppleWorks, because it sucks. Even if your school doesn't offer a special deal, you can still get a discount for merely being a student. Also, if you're waiting for a price drop, you'll be waiting for quite some time. Apple never really drops the price on current models, they just wait and then update them so they're better at the same price. You can get a refurbished machine. You also have to remember that if you buy an Apple portable along with an iPod, you get a $200 discount. Combine that with an educational discount and you can get a nice setup for a lot less than full price.

Applesatyr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 05:41 PM

What would you be using the laptop for?
Initially, for general homework (documents, presentations) not serious gaming, but definitely photoshop, listening to music and watching the odd movie. Eventually programming, and creating music.

Since I hope to use it for at least three to four years, I would want something that is durable, and fast, so I don't need to upgrade/ install new memory etc for 1-2 years.

Style-wise, which laptop do (all of)you (guys) prefer?

See if your school has a special deal with MS to provide students with MS Office for cheap. I picked up a copy of Office X for FREE from my school!
...Also, if you're waiting for a price drop, you'll be waiting for quite some time. Apple never really drops the price on current models, they just wait and then update them so they're better at the same price. You can get a refurbished machine. You also have to remember that if you buy an Apple portable along with an iPod, you get a $200 discount. Combine that with an educational discount and you can get a nice setup for a lot less than full price.
Are there any updates in the foreseeable future? jk.
I'd never heard about the student discounts on software until now - thanks. Is it also offered from Apple (I know hardware discounts are).

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2004, 03:48 AM

Usually student discounted software has to be purchased directly from your school's bookstore or computer store. However, I believe you can get a copy of the student/teacher edition of office 2004 from apple directly. I will note that this edition costs about $150 however some schools will sell you a single lisence and media for $50ish. The actual student/teachers bundle can be installed on 3 of your personal computers. The single lisence is obviously only one; however, it's much cheaper.

As far was what notebook to buy that's up to you. I can tell you that I'm going to be a sophomore in bio engineering this year and I just bought my first mac.. a 15" 1.5ghz powerbook. I've been loving it since I got it. All my friends love it too... and my ex girlfriend already wants to get one for school when she goes (I told her I'd throw some money in so she didn't have to fight with windows anymore)...

All in all I think it's a great machine and will make me quite a bit more productive than I was last year with my desktop. Maybe I'll get a 4.0 both semesters instead of a 3.8... one can only hope!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 02:27 PM

Quote:"'ve stumbled onto this site (nice job, by the way), and others like it during my research behind purchasing either an iBook or a Powerbook from Apple. I was wondering if anybody knows why the Powerbook doesn't come with Appleworks, (as I know the ibook does).
(Or does it come with it? I checked the specs on apple.com and it isn't listed.)"

Ask your dealer for a copy. I did so and my dealer gave me a copy of an AW install CD for free....

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 12:43 AM

I have a 14 inch iBook and office---
office is great, better than apple works, you should get it.

Also as stated before, with the student discount, you can get some great deals right now, (with the ipod, and the discounts and everything).

My sister just got a 12 inch iBook with an iPod for a great deal. We got office too, and i just installed it today and its way better then appleworks.

I use my iBook for music, (listening and making), projects for school, and I jsut started programming a little while ago. The ibook is working great for all this, but im sure as everyone will tell you, get alot of RAM.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 12:04 PM

The base level 12" Powrebook is a great deal for students. It costs $1400 and is well worth it IMHO if you're just doing world processing, browsing, surfing, listening to tunes, etc... Add some aftermarket ram from your choice of 3rd party vendors and you're set. They come standard with bluetooth and wireless as well as one of the best laptop keyboards on the market. At 4.6lbs with a very small footprint they are also very portable. My other choice would be the 12" iBook if you want to save some money. Make sure you still add some ram and an airport card though!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

CaptianScooby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 01:41 AM

I was in the same boat for about a month and here is what I did. I was looking at a 14 inch Ibook and just sat wondering about the differences between it and the powerbook. Eventually I chose the powerbook b/c I believe it will be worth the extra money in the long run. Definitely get Office for Mac, its going to save you the hassle of file conversions and non supported functions while passing doc around campus. I would also recommend an additional 256 MB memory. I got the memory (DDR 333) for 4o dollars and Office for students comes in at around 133 dollars with free shipping. Cram and Jam is also very attractive .... but lets not get carried away .....

I am writing on my 15 inch powerbook with combo (gotta save somewhere), its great and i highly recommend it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules