Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App I built for Baseball Statheads

App I built for Baseball Statheads
drainyoo
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 04:38 PM

I built a little App that calculates baseball stats and I just was curious as to what everyone thought. Im not a hardcore developer so this App doesnt have that many features, Im still learning. Im getting some weird errors when calculating. Everything calculates correctly but when I hit the calculate button it tried to calculate all the stat catagories. Its hard to explain but you will see what I mean when you mees around with it. Some fields get a NaN in them. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love some help.

Anyways, heres the file. Tell me what ya think. I also made the icon.

StatBook
i hate project managers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 04:46 PM

Very cool thus far...I'll give it a thorough testing in a little bit!

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Very cool thus far...I'll give it a thorough testing in a little bit!

Sweet man thanks. If you can think of somethings to add that would be cool as well.

I see you are a Rickey fan. Sad that he cant play in the bigs anymore. I mean, he has done so much for the game cant a team just sign him?
i hate project managers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
I see you are a Rickey fan. Sad that he cant play in the bigs anymore. I mean, he has done so much for the game cant a team just sign him?
You would think so; however, I guess he has burned one too many bridges for his own to handle over the years unfortunately.

I just wish the A's would bring him back (seeing he is their "All-Time Franchise Player) for one last game, let him lead-off, steal 2nd, and let him call it a career right on the spot...

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 04:54 PM

You would think so; however, I guess he has burned one too many bridges for his own to handle over the years unfortunately.

I just wish the A's would bring him back (seeing he is their "All-Time Franchise Player) for one last game, let him lead-off, steal 2nd, and let him call it a career right on the spot...
That would be awesome! Give Beane a call and see what he says.
i hate project managers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 04:58 PM

Give Beane a call and see what he says.
Rickey has called on behalf of Rickey a few times to Billy and the answer is always a political one like "Rickey, we know you can play; however, we are wanting to give our younger guys a chance..."

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 05:10 PM

Rickey has called on behalf of Rickey a few times to Billy and the answer is always a political one like "Rickey, we know you can play; however, we are wanting to give our younger guys a chance..."
Beane just doesnt believe in stealing bases.

Let me know if you find any errors in the APP.
i hate project managers.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 05:13 PM

I've got it, too, and will look at it in depth if I get the chance later tonight.

Although if you can add the "swooshing" sound that the Mets season is making as it gets flushed down the toilet, then I'll buy two!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
I've got it, too, and will look at it in depth if I get the chance later tonight.

Although if you can add the "swooshing" sound that the Mets season is making as it gets flushed down the toilet, then I'll buy two!
HAHA. Tell me about it! You are a Mets fan? I run a mets fan site. www.amazinz.com

Go check it out.
i hate project managers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 09:28 PM

Some fields get a NaN in them.
Yeah, what's up with that? If you can get that part of it ironed out, that would be wonderful...

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 09:30 PM

Yeah, what's up with that? If you can get that part of it ironed out, that would be wonderful...
Well the thing is I cant figure it out. I was hoping someone could help me.
i hate project managers.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 12:50 AM

I'm a Yankees fan. The only stat that matters is the Win column. MWAHAHAHHAHAAH!!!!

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 3, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
I'm a Yankees fan. The only stat that matters is the Win column. MWAHAHAHHAHAAH!!!!
Christ. I even have to deal with this here.
i hate project managers.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 02:29 PM

Christ. I even have to deal with this here.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 03:20 PM

How nice of you to acknowledge that the lowly Mets have it all over the mighty Yankees in "the only stat that matters this year", since the Mets beat the Yankees in their season series, 4 games to 2.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 07:15 PM

I'll take the 2000 World Series over the 2004 season series...

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 07:45 PM

I'll take the 2000 World Series over the 2004 season series...
And I'll just be content that you didn't take the 2003 title, and had someone else win it in your house to boot! Now you know how we felt in 2000. I hear Steinbrenner is so embarassed that now he wants to tear the stadium down!

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:

As a Mets fan from long ago... All I have to say is - Imagine that, the Mets tanking right after the All Star break? Color me SHOCKED!

Dave

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2004, 10:05 PM

I feel bad for all the sox fans out there. They got rid of nomar, they are so far back its sad. What is wrong with them. I myself live in CT and have to deal with the sox-yankee crap alllllllllll the time. So I said screw it and became a colorado rockies fan, lol. Now I can say that I am the only person in Connecticut that likes the Rockies.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 10:37 PM

Woo, go Yanks
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 10:42 PM

I agree.

p.s. - My beloved A's spanked the Yanks 13-4 today.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2004, 07:09 AM

*sigh*

if only the Mariners hadn't mysteriously crapped out this year....

as for the app, I think it is a start, but only a start. Most of the stats this calculates could easily be approximated without any work, and this only functions as a calculator beyond that.

I was thinking about making an app like this for web, but it is pretty tough to figure out what could be added. For this app, you pretty much need a copy of the box score anyway (which already gives batting average, et cetera). Why not have it query MLB.com or something for current stats for whatever player is typed in the box, parse the results for the user, and add a much larger set of stats?

I'd love, for example, to have it pull the stats for all of the Mariners from the web, and then be able to sort (via drag and drop, perhaps? maybe some sort of key) players in order of triples per at-bat. Extra credit points if I can then click on a name and have it show that player's career stat line by season, with that particular stat highlighted at the beginning of the line.

I know, I know, it'd be a hell of a lot of work... but honestly, baseball stats are already so well put-together and presented (online, in the newspaper, et cetera) it will take a major investment to make launching a program worth while. If you were thinking of making this so it would be able to track somebody's little league game or something, give it some sort of storage system to make even a rudimentary database so stats can be saved and trends can be observed.

Again, great start, but it needs much more!

Like the icon, by the way... although it might be more aesthetically pleasing if there were something on the red plane of the book "closest" to the viewer... perhaps "STATS" written in gold letters, facing the other way (as if the book were being "handed" towards the screen... nearer the viewer (bottom of the icon) being the top of the book).

PS: I'll be happy as long as the Yankees lose.

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 08:08 AM

Pittsburgh Pirates anyone?

As for the game: It would be nice if you could make this app open source, i.e. put it under the gpl and release the source code. Or do you intend to make money with it eventually?

Are you interested in localizations?
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:

as for the app, I think it is a start, but only a start. Most of the stats this calculates could easily be approximated without any work, and this only functions as a calculator beyond that.

I was thinking about making an app like this for web, but it is pretty tough to figure out what could be added. For this app, you pretty much need a copy of the box score anyway (which already gives batting average, et cetera). Why not have it query MLB.com or something for current stats for whatever player is typed in the box, parse the results for the user, and add a much larger set of stats?

I'd love, for example, to have it pull the stats for all of the Mariners from the web, and then be able to sort (via drag and drop, perhaps? maybe some sort of key) players in order of triples per at-bat. Extra credit points if I can then click on a name and have it show that player's career stat line by season, with that particular stat highlighted at the beginning of the line.

I know, I know, it'd be a hell of a lot of work... but honestly, baseball stats are already so well put-together and presented (online, in the newspaper, et cetera) it will take a major investment to make launching a program worth while. If you were thinking of making this so it would be able to track somebody's little league game or something, give it some sort of storage system to make even a rudimentary database so stats can be saved and trends can be observed.

Again, great start, but it needs much more!
I haven't looked at the app yet, so I could be wrong about this, but who said it HAD to be for professional baseball? Couldn't this be used by high school coaches, kids, little league coaches, parents, etc.??
Again, I haven't looked at the app yet, but I think that is what he is going for with the app too.

ps - Go Twins!!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2004, 09:17 AM

I just quickly looked at it, looks good, but what I think you should add (if you can), is a list of players, so like my previous post mentioned, high school coaches etc., could use this as an app to track stats. Make it able to save also.
Just my 2�

ps - did I say Go Twins yet!!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 12:53 PM

These are all great idea's but Im really just a beginner and Im still learning. I built to APP main to keep track of my personal stats. Hopefully I can learn more about developing and add some great features.
i hate project managers.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
I haven't looked at the app yet, so I could be wrong about this, but who said it HAD to be for professional baseball? Couldn't this be used by high school coaches, kids, little league coaches, parents, etc.??
Yeah, but right now, it hardly does anything beyond what any normal four-function calculator can do. It doesn't store any information, so you couldn't just add in another game's stats and have it added to the year's stats... you'd have to do that manually. In fact, since it only handles one game at a time, the batting part is such that not even a calculator would be required. Everybody can easily find a game's batting average in their head. Single digit division into decimals is hardly rocket science. With the exception of young kids who may have to divide x/7 sometime, nobody should have any trouble.

Perhaps it'd be useful for tee-ball kids, who may not have the abstract thinking skills required to remember that batting average was hits divided by at-bats. However, the application as a whole might be significantly too complicated for somebody of that development.

Again, it is a great start and I'd love to see it developed more, but the usefulness now is at a minimum. The time it may save in calculation is far outweighed by the time expended in data entry. Until it can save previous records and allows easy viewing of game/season/career stats, it has little actual usefulness.

(sorry if this post sounded harsh... I should probably not respond to people that haven't looked at the app yet )

I think it'll take a lot of work to make it a "killer" app, but fixing the current bugs and having it track multiple games would make it useful for people keeping track of their own stats, their players' stats, or their family members' stats. If you want to make it viable for people keeping track of MLB stats, it would need some pretty substantial data-gathering power to offset the large amount of data involved, some pretty complex ways to limit to a specific stat, and a much larger number of stats than are displayed by similar web-based services.

dole
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
Pittsburgh Pirates anyone?

GO BUCS!!! Too bad they are in a slump again Lost 7 of their last 9 games. I haven't seen the Pirates finish a season above .500 in awhile and I thought they might do it this year, but with the way things are going now I doubt it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules