Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > please help, missing finder

please help, missing finder
sypher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 12:44 PM

ok im really screwed if i dont fix this quicklly and i cant reinstall cause i don have the god dam disk! i posted on apple's website at
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

thankyou....

sypher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 08:17 PM

thanks for all the ****ing macnn!!!!!!!!!!!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 10:56 PM

You won't get any help being an a**.

1. This post goes in the software forum not the iBook forum.
2. Sounds like it is time to buy an OS.

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2004, 10:48 AM

Damn Yankees
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 07:16 PM

Yeah MacNN! What's wrong with you guys for not knowing how to fix this guy's problem. For shame!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 07:30 PM

Hey everyone!!

I just "picked up" a barely used iBook. The password that was set by the previous owner is causing major issues. How do I get it off my new iBook? I really need to get it on eBay so I can go buy a new Windows laptop.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Hey everyone!!

I just "picked up" a barely used iBook. The password that was set by the previous owner is causing major issues. How do I get it off my new iBook? I really need to get it on eBay so I can go buy a new Windows laptop.

OK, are you serious about the password question? If so, just restart with the system disk in the drive. There is an option to reset password.
That should work.

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by zeebe:
OK, are you serious about the password question? If so, just restart with the system disk in the drive. There is an option to reset password.
That should work.
I wasn't being serious. Just poking fun at the original post. Thanks though

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 02:59 PM

Not to be rude (although I'd like to be) I think people have given you as much help as they can or you'll accept. Many people have told you how to startup from the CD, repair the hard drive as well as repair disk permissions, start up in safe mode as well as single-user mode. This shouldn't make a difference but reset the PRAM by restarting the computer and holding down the Apple-Option-P-R keys until you hear the startup chime three times.

I've used theme-modification utilities before and although some have worked, most have usually been a headache and are very hard to remove. I even upgraded to Panther and the settings stayed the same. I doubt any utility you will run will find a problem. It sounds like the program you ran edited some preference files that has changed the usage of your computer, but to a utility program, the files themselves are probably perfectly fine. Get you're data off and reinstall the system.

I think one of the reasons why people may be sarcastic or hostile towards your comments is that you're not appreciative of what people are trying to do for you and you give no feedback if things work or not. You mention in your first post that you don't have a CD and yet in you Apple discussion posts say that you've run all the utilities. This would be hard to do without the CD as you can't repair a boot-disc from any utility on the boot-disc. Calm down, stop freaking out, don't swear, type slower, use spell-check and think before you speak.

Forum Links
Forum Rules