Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Ann] SIRO Alternative iTunes Skin

[Ann] SIRO Alternative iTunes Skin
siMac
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 10:23 AM

As much as I love Daisuke's SIRO theme, I have always thought that the iTunes buttons just don't seem to 'fit' with the rest.

I have created new buttons (plus a blue LCD background) that I think better match the rest of the theme. I am posting them here for anyone who is interested.

Unfortunately, due to permission issues, I cannot post a guiKit for you, instead click the image to download a Zip archive of TIFF files for use in Themepark, ie:

Known bug: I don't know how to change the colour of the spectrum analyser in the LCD, it doesn't seem to be possible in Themepark.
If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
( Last edited by siMac; Oct 15, 2004 at 04:42 PM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 11:04 AM

about the Spectrum colours, you have to do that with a hex-editor, check my site about it: http://www.snakes-tutorials.de.vu/ (please dont lough about the screenshots, I know I have to do new ones but Im just too lazy at the moment )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 11:27 AM

Good work. You should contact Daisuke and try to get permission to post a modded guikit.

siMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:22 PM

I have previously contacted Daisuke about permission for my SIRO 1.0.1 (KURO) Black Menus mod, but he has said he would rather I didn't make his modded themes widely available, and I intend to honour his request.

So I'm afraid all I can share is the resources for the time being - if anyone can suggest an easier way for me to share this without including any of Daisuke's original work I am all ears.

MetalSnake: Thanks for the heads-up on your site, I'll check it out. Keep an eye on The Offical OS X Customizations Screenshot Thread� cos if I get it working I'll post a screenie.

siMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:25 PM

OK, I've opened up iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes and navigated to the locations from your tutorial, but I can't figure out what to change. I assume that the colours are coded in the form of six hex digits, ie. 00 00 00, but the six digits following each address you give are for colours that are not what I would expect, ie. royal blue.

What version of iTunes are your addresses for? I am running 4.6, perhaps things have changed, I know these kind of things change places a lot.

Thanks for the help.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 07:15 PM

Ah maybe I should write down where the hex ends which you have to change, it�s on my todo list now. The Hxx Codes are based on version 4.6 as I wrote on the top. But the colours are saved like this: 0000 AAAA BBBB (4 digits for each of red, green, blue) you can find out the hex codes for you wanted colours with DigitalColor Meter which is in Applications/Utilitys/ set it to Hex 16 Bit

siMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 07:56 PM

Killer!

Thanks for the help, now I have:

...and it makes me very happy.

One thing though; your site has $003E6BCE as the offset for the spectrum background colour, but I made it $003E6BD0, however I could be reading it wrong - this hex stuff melts my brain a bit!
( Last edited by siMac; Oct 15, 2004 at 04:42 PM. )

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 09:11 PM

Nice work guys. I wish there was a more grey version of siro out (yes I know what siro means in japanese). A grey, charcoal or black siro would rock.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 09:17 AM

siMac: What about asking Daisuke to include your SIRO iTunes mod in SIRO and release another version (with credit to you, of course).

siMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 10:07 AM

I think I read somewhere that he's 'retired' now, and I don't want to keep hassling him.

He makes the themes how he likes 'em, I mod them how I like 'em - I wouldn't want to offend him by implying that his original buttons were no good because that's not the case - it's just my taste.

It is a shame I can't share the guiKit with you but it's not my decision to make, Daisuke put in days of work whereas I just arsed around in Themepark/Photoshop for a coupla hours; all I can do is share the resources with you.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2004, 02:41 AM

I understand what you're saying. Your mod looks like though and would have made SIRO "complete" in my book.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 06:21 PM

I can't seem be able to apply the mod siMac!

This is my first attempt at using ThemePark, so bare with me..

I opened "itunes.rsrc" with TP, replaced all of the (#-corresponding) tiffs in the rsrc file with the ones from the .zip download, saved the rsrc file, named it "itunes.rsrc", put it in the iTunes/contents/resources folder, swapping with the original rsrc, started up iTunes, and...

the mods didn't work. iTunes still has the default buttons applied by the current SS theme.

What am I doing wrong?
( Last edited by Banghazi; Aug 20, 2004 at 06:26 PM. )

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 08:32 PM

Banghazi, you need to "decompile" the guiKit with guiKitty. < http://www.unsanity.org/2004/02/02/guikitty-11b1/ >

Somewhere in the folder that guiKitty generates from SIRO, there should be an iTunes.rsrc. THIS is what you apply the mods to. Then, recompile the guiKit in guiKitty, and add it to your Shapeshifter library.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2004, 12:03 AM

Thanx Fris I'll give it a try.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2004, 10:45 PM

guiKitty did the trick.

But now I want that consistent spectrum background, and I can't figure out this Hex editing business. Each hex-address has 16 pairs of digits, and I don't know which of these to change to get the desired color.

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 01:24 AM

siMac, i dl hexedit, i wanna change my LC background for the spectrum anylzer in itunes to the same color as you, Im using itunes 4.6 as well, i found the 3 lines to change the color, but i am stumped on which part i need to edit? I am using the digital color app in os x to get the colors, for the background color its caca, e8e8, e8e8, now where do i put this in hexedit? please help

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 11:35 PM

Some assistance with the spectrum analyzer would be helpful, guys. Once us noobs learn how to edit resources, we won't have to ask again, and we'd then share the load of teaching other noobs how to do the same stuff.

thanks guys

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 03:10 AM

siMac? i tried pm'n you, no response, not sure if you got the message or not, but any help on how to modify the 4.6 itunes to change the colors would be helpful. I tried the link that snake has and it didnt work... can you take a screenshot using HexEdit and highlight the specific areas in the hexcode that we're spose to change? I tried using the Digital Color Meter to get the same exact blue you posted, CACA, E8E8, E8E8, but it shows up as a very light orange... not sure whats going on... please help out...

siMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 05:13 AM

C'mon guys read the whole thread - when I first started this thread I'd never done any hex editing either, but everything I now know came from here.

(goes back to holiday...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules